Author Topic: When does the Jazz fuel filter need changing, if at all?  (Read 39487 times)

Chris_Music

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
When does the Jazz fuel filter need changing, if at all?
« on: October 13, 2012, 11:19:23 PM »
Hi Guys

Im just wondering when the fuel filter needs changing on the Jazz (if at all). Mines a 2005 1.4i Sport.

Im asking this as my car is due for a service, but there are no mention in the service log/receipts of it ever being done.

The service book says every 75k, but its a generic book for all Honda cars. And I remember that some Hondas never need it changing. So I thought I would ask as my Jazz has done over 100k now. It would make sense that the previous owner would have replaced it at 75k (I bought it on 90k), but there is nothing in the service records!!

Any info would be appreciated!!

Cheers

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: When does the Jazz fuel filter need changing, if at all?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »
I always change my fuel filter on whatever (fuel-injection) car I have had every two years regardless of distance.  There is so much dirt and water in the fuel that the filters can get compromised easily.  An example is to take off the old filter and leave it full of petrol, then upend it so the input (from the tank) pours out into a transparent container.  I was appalled at what came out.  Sheer dirt, sand, bits of insects.

Not all petrol stations look after their tanks properly.  I saw the petrol jockey undo the inspection hole to the tank and put in a large pole to measure the fuel left.  As he was standing there, a piece of newspaper blew in the hole, together with some sand and debris.  There are filters on the pumps but they also have a bypass valve to prevent the motor from overheating when it sucks air.

Here, a fuel filter costs R 180,00 (about £14) and it is fairly easy to replace yourself. 

PS:  Your Jazz is the same colour as mine
If music be the food of love, play on

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
To change the fuel filter you need to release the fuel pressure in the system (disconnect the fuel pump relay behind the fusebox above the pedals, run the engine until it stalls) and after that you can open the nut on the top of the fuel tank (between the front seats, I used my oil filter remover and turned it by hand, like this one, http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_525159_langId_-1_categoryId_255216, when it is fully opened perfectly fits).
I checked my fuel filter last year and it did not seem dirty so I did not replaced it. It was a small filter built onto the suction pipe under the fuel pump unit.
To change that I`d had to buy a new fuel pump for around £30 off ebay (uk).

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:22 AM »
May I add my contribution:

Open the bonnet and locate the fuel filter. It should be located on the firewall closest to the passenger compartment.

Put a pan under the fuel filter to catch any fuel that spills out while you are changing the filter.

Locate the fuel rail on the Jazz. The Schrader valve is on the fuel rail. Release the fuel pressure with the tip of a screwdriver. You can also remove the fuse for the fuel filter inside the vehicle (recommended).   Start the engine and let it idle until it stalls. This will relieve fuel pressure from the system.

Use pliers to remove the retaining clips from the hoses holding the fuel filter in place.

Pull off the hoses from the fuel filter and slide the filter out of the mounting bracket. Make sure any dripping fuel is being caught by the pan.

Insert the new fuel filter in the mounting bracket and and attach the hoses. Attach the retaining clips over the hoses so that they stay firmly in place.

Replace the fuel filter fuse.

Start the engine and check to make sure the fuel system pressurises. You will know that it is operating properly if the engine starts and runs for more than a few seconds.

Check to ensure that the hoses are being held in place and that no fuel is leaking while the engine is running

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
thanks guys for your input

haynes manual states replacement could be postponed if fuel pressure is fine, but I don't know how it could be DIY checked. somehow I believe it was not changed at 6th service, so my jazz deserves 10 yearly replacement :)

To change that I`d had to buy a new fuel pump for around £30 off ebay (uk).
original filters are £20-£23 off ebay, mann's £12

Open the bonnet and locate the fuel filter. It should be located on the firewall closest to the passenger compartment.
european models have it mounted on the fuel pump inside fuel tank, a little bit more tricky to get to

guest3040

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »
I don't know if it is of help, but here is the exploded diagram of the fuel tank and pump assembly (courtesy of Lings Honda).

Maybe one of you chaps can point out the item number of the fuel filter. ;)

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
So the fuel filter definitely needs changing, even if its been running fine for over 100k?

Honda Quoted me £120 to supply and fit the fuel filter. Im not mechanically minded enough to do it my self, so I would pay a garage to do the work!

Cheers

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »
Update:

I just spoke to a mechanic at Brayley Honda and they said the fuel filters that are in the fuel tank are lifetime filters, and should only be replaced if there is a problem. He also said they rarely go wrong, so thats put my mind at rest.

Thanks for everyones inputs!

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »
Possibly the petrol in South Africa coming out the pumps is not as clean as in the UK, but written into the 60000km service is replace fuel filter.

As I mentioned above, I have changed fuel filters and was amazed at the dirty liquid that poured out the inlet side of the filter when I emptied it.

If the filter is easiily accessible, it is not a big deal to replace it.  Probably the most difficult is to replace the clamps on the tubes when you have fitted them back onto the filter.

My local Honda dealer quoted R 900 (about £80) for just a filter replacement but quickly pointed out that a "pirate part" manufactured by a SA engine filter co was available at under half the price.

A new fuel filter is a much better bet than a blocked injector.  The nozzles in the injector must atomise the fuel and will cause irregular operation when blocked or compromised.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:25:29 PM »
Chrisc, Could you post a picture about the fuel filter housing in your engine bay, please?

guest2853

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 03:12:06 PM »
Every 60.000 Km.
I also do it on my BMW and it is always surprising to see how dirty they get inside.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 08:08:44 PM »
A new fuel filter is a much better bet than a blocked injector.  The nozzles in the injector must atomise the fuel and will cause irregular operation when blocked or compromised.

I would assume that as the filter blocks up it would actually let less dirt through - if it can stop petrol getting through I don't think much else will get through - it may be good to put some Redex or similar through every so often because there is stuff in fuel that turns to a varnish on the filter and injectors (especially on low annual mileage cars) and redex (mainly kerosene) will dissolve it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: