Author Topic: Convince Me! 1.4 EXL CVT  (Read 17456 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Convince Me! 1.4 EXL CVT
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
I am seriously thinking of downsizing from my 2.0 diesel Skoda Octavia automatic to the EXL CVT (automatic) version of the Jazz - don't need the size of the Octavia anymore.
I have read all the reviews and postings but I would welcome owners views on my major concerns:

1. Is the 1.4 100BHP CVT combination noisy while accelerating under power? Road tests imply that the CVT Jazz is noisy and a "screamer".
2. How quiet is it cruising at 70 on motorways? Again road tests imply it is relatively unrefined and suffers from wind and road noise.
3. How comfortable is the suspension - relaxing or fidgety over anything but smooth roads. Road tests vary in their reports.
4 Is the CVT intrusive - I am used to the DSG automatic (double clutch) which is smooth and quiet with 6 defined gear ratios - is the CVT noticeable while driving or is it unobtrusive, silent and refined?
5 At motorway speeds is the 1.4 engine capable of holding its set speed (70 mph cruise) "up hill and down dale" without having to change down and so increase engine revs and noise?

Any other thoughts gratefully appreciated - incidentally the Salesman at the Honda garage I visited was worse than useless, I knew more about the Jazz than him after a brief look at the brochure!! Is this indicative of Honda service?

Thanks

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Convince Me! 1.4 EXL CVT
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:58:22 PM »
Many of your Q's have been covered inrecent times on the forum.

I changed in march from Subaru Outback

The best way to make you mind up -  test drive the Jazz  if convinced sell the Skoda via BCA Sure Sell then try for a discount via the internet on the model of your choice

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:13 AM »
I have had trouble relating my (hybrid) Jazz to the noisy ones mentioned in some reviews. A lot may depend on driving style. Push hard on the accelerator and the revs will shoot up and the engine goes into the zone where you can hear that it is running. Drive more economically and you will rarely hear the engine noise.

At 70 MPH the engine is running at just over 2000 rpm and is effectively inaudible. Wind noise can be noticeable if the windows are open. A steeper motorway hill may cause the car to drop gear.

The CVT is excellent. The only way you can tell the car has changed gear is by looking at the rev counter.

For me, the ride quality is still a little firm and patched road surfaces are noticeable.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »
Thanks - I will certainly take a test drive but unfortunately I am miles from a motorway so won't be able to test the Jazz in that environment. It is also somewhat difficult in a test drive to have a chance to appreciate things like overtaking power in the 30-50 and 50-70 range - probably the two most important performance indicators because I am not really interested in how quick I can get from 0-60!!
So information from owners is invaluable to me.

Thanks

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
Why wont you be able to test the Jazz in "that environment" ?

My local honda dealer lets me have the keys to any vehicle i wish and take it out on my own and just return it when I want.

I feel this is the best way as you can go and test it on roads where you want to go, and not just round the block as instructed by the salesman who accompanied you on the test drive.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
Well, I test drove an EX CVT today and liked it a lot. The only real problem was the front seats - the seat base was just too short and didn't provide any support under my wife's knees! I want the EXL version with leather interior; the salesman thought that the leather seats might have longer seat squabs than the fabric ones in the EX model but hasn't seen one and couldn't find out definitively.
Has anyone seen the front leather seats and are they longer base "sport" seats as the salesman suspects or the same as the EX seats just leather covered?
None of the brochures has photos or any information on this!

sapperjohn

Re: Convince Me! 1.4 EXL CVT (deleted posts - trolling)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
I can only comment on petrol 1.4 2010 EX-T - which my wife uses very much as a second car for around town. The truth is that the Jazz is fantastic - and does exactly what it's designed for - running round town and to the shops. But if that is not the only thing you want remember when downsizing to be honest about what are you actually going to use it for - be very certain. The Jazz is not the master of all jobs - I have driven it on several 600 mile trips, across very smooth european motorways and when doing so would recommend:

a. Taking neurofen to stave off the headache - yes it really will give you one from the noise, excessively hard ride and in the 1.4 heavily revving engine - suffering from the lack of 6th gear when doing 70 - and see fuel consumption plummet to 28 mpg! My 3 litre BMW 530 D Msport estate (2 tonnes) does 43 mpg at 120 mph! The Jazz drinks fuel at 70 mph - but does great round town (51mpg)

b. Carry a soft cushion - because as described frequently in reviews the compact drivers / passengers seats (made that way to give leg room in the back) are like perching on a sack of cement and are to hard, too small and when combined with overly stiff suspension lead to.....

c. Consider taking quells to avoid seasickness - as with the body roll, lurching suspension and unbelievably harsh brakes. The brakes are designed to allow grandma to break at the last moment before hitting the pedestrian and are simply binary - they are either - off or throwing you through the windscreen - and I mean throw. They are undoubtedly the most fearsome brakes I've ever experienced in any car - and my other ride is an Aston Martin 430 bhp vantage, and it doen't brake like the Jazz!!

In summary - despite what I've said the Jazz is wonderful for occasional use , or regular use round town - but it is simply dreadful on the open road, and if you are driving a larger and smoother car now you will be disappointed if used in that role - so really thats the break point - round town roller skate with lurching ride and the harshest brakes on earth, or if you want to go long ridees occasionally look for a cheaper, more refined but possibly less reliable alternative if you want to get out on the open road.

My wife loves her Jazz, Mrs Clarkson loved it, but even my wife shuns it for a 50 mile trip round the M25!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:09:47 PM by RichardA »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
 :D :D :D How can you compare a 3 litre 5 series with a Jazz?? :D :D :D

The BMW is basically a long-distance cruiser, designed to carry a load, over long distances in comfort and costing around £40k new, the Jazz is basically a city car, costing around £12-14k.

Your comparing pyjamas and an Armani suit  ;)

Oz

sapperjohn

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:20:46 PM »
Dear Ozzie,

I'm not comparing them - the jazz is great at what it does, but if you have been driving something larger and want just one car for everything - like the chap here - I'm not convinced that it is perfect for a mix of driving that includes the open road as well as round town. Incidentally in terms of value for money - I bought the ultimate driving machine (BMW 530d M Sport Touring) for £15,000 at two years old, its now 5 and still worth £12,000 - Thats what I paid for the Jazz. So All I am saying is that perhaps buying the right car for the right job is the answer, as it is perfectly possible to source great cars for Jazz money - but as said wife loves it to bits, but even she does not like driving it on any sort of journey.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up here - I'm trying to be honest about the driving experience.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »
I'm surprised by some of the above comments. OK, mine's the hybrid so it may behave slightly differently, but at 70 MPH, the engine is running quietly at around 2200 RPM. If you are getting a noisy 3000 RPM then it's in the wrong gear which helps explain the poor fuel consumption.

In my experience the Jazz does not roll but I agree about the firm suspension (which I thought was one reason for the limited body roll). I also agree that it is best not to stamp on the brakes, particularly at low speed. indeed, it is best to drive the Jazz wearing thin-soled soft shoes. It gives its best if the pedals are pushed lightly.

Personally, I find my Jazz a pleasure to drive on the open road but I don't keep aston Martins or BMWs parked on the driveway as alternatives. I don't dispute that the bigger cars provide a smoother experience.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sapperjohn

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 07:37:35 PM »
Dear John - thanks for your response, those brakes are very efficient - but as you say use with extreme caution. No - the fuel consumption thing is spot on for the petrol 1.4 at 70 mph - in the right gear - 5th. I was shocked when we used it on the motorway and averaged 28mpg  - but in many ways its not surprising as the car is obviously geared for lower revs at lower speeds around town.

As I said to Ozzie we love the Jazz, for its design and "everything is right, works and does what it says". That said  - and I know I'm lucky having too many cars to choose from and I'm going to downsize as well, and when I do I'm not convinced the Jazz can cover all the bases. Its a great car held back by a hard ride, hard seats and vicious brakes and a lack of a 6th gear - and you would have thought Honda would have got that right for a GBR spec car.

guest598

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
I don't get  51mpg in town I have just arrived home after a not stop round trip on the m25 the computor said 54mpg which probably should read about 48mpg  I thought the speed limit was 70 mph not 120mph.

sapperjohn

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
My wife does a 20 mile round trip every day driving very sedately (13,000 miles to date in 18 months) and has a life of car average of 51 mpg - which is fantastic. We have just been told that the front tyres - Dunlop SP Sports fitted from new are bald evenly across entire tread pattern (tracking and geometry perfect as just checked by Honda Thames Ditton). Mr "Honda how can we help - Fitzpatrick" at Honda UK has just told me that he considers 13,000 miles for a set of tyres is perfectly reasonable - not in my book.

As for speed - from name perhaps you might have guessed that I'm in the Army, and thus have had the pleasure of living and driving in germany. The 100 - 120 mph was sustained on occasions like motoring for almost 8 hours driving from northern DEU to near Austria in one day, and I've also hit 155 mph during serious driving down near NB Ring. I can confirm that Gabbie does not drive a Jazz, but I can confirm that I've been passed - on the inside after being flashed - by a middle aged lady driving a Nissan Micra at 120 mph - scarry or what!!

sapperjohn

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
I think the confusion here is that I'm talking about - as stated above the 1.4 petrol version - no doubt the hybrid achieves far better results in mpg!

Geoffers

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »
Can't agree with anything sapperjohn says about the Jazz!  :'(
We're on our second one now - a GE 1.4 manual. Done 24,000 miles in two years. Currently averaging 50+ mpg. The GD 1.4 manual did 17,000ish in 18 months averaging 45mpg.
We've done several holidays to the deep south of France and to Spain and can vouch for its suitablility for long drives. OK, it can be noisy when driving at 85+ but keeping it down to 75 cures that.
Tyres just over half worn!

Never felt the need for pills or cushions either!
Previous car was a Merc A Class.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:59:12 PM by Geoffers »

Tags:

anything