Author Topic: Who else insurance has gone up?  (Read 20402 times)

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Who else insurance has gone up?
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
Right,

Last year, insurance for the Jazz was only £216.50.

Renewal from Elephant just came at £254.30.

Had a look around and my findings were as follows:

Compare the Market- £242.30 (Admiral)
Go Compare- £306.80 (Admiral)
Confused.com £433.10
Directline- £543.20
Teco- £505.70

Going to try the likes of Greenlight, Sky, Chris Knott and A-plan

Is it really due to uninsured drivings and increase personal injury claims bumping up the prices?

What are other members paying?

Gary

PS- my details are 31yr old, 3 points SP30 Oct'05, fault claim Aug'08 (approx £800 damage but told insurance co £1,200)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Who else insurance has gone up?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »
My September renewal for a 1.4 ES has just come through from First Direct (underwritten by Equity Red Star) at £247, an increase from £183 last year.  Insurance for a Yaris showed a similar increase.  I am now switching both to RIAS (I am well over their 50 age threshold) for £180 and £159.   This is for comprehensive cover with 2 named drivers, and includes courtesy car and legal expenses, which the Equity policy did not have.  RIAS is part of Fortis, which First Direct used to use, so it's worth shopping around.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
Fwiw, my renewal came through from Prudential a few weeks ago.  I've been with them for 2 years, and I too was surprised they wanted another £30 off me this year for no obvious reason.

Prudential policies are underwritten by Churchill, so I got a quote from Churchill and they came back with a figure that matched what I was paying last year for same level of cover.

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:28:24 PM »
Yes it is partly down to increased costs from uninsured drivers and personal injury claims but also due to insurers paying out from claims made following the snow earlier this year.

My renewal is not due until March. Currently my insurance is £357.87 with Hastings Direct which includes legal protection, courtesy car, charge for paying monthly by direct debit and protection of my no claims bonus.

I'm 29 years old, no points, one accident in June '05 (£1400 worth of damage, other driver at fault, all costs recovered) and seven years' no claims bonus.

I'm expecting the worst when my renewal comes through as I've made a claim following a collision (not my fault but technically it is as it's a hit and run and the third party is denying knowledge of the collision).

One of the garages I got a quote from included £70 ex. VAT to refurb my alloy wheel, even though I told them the damage was done by me sliding down an icy hill and hitting the kerb in the snow earlier this year and not from the collision.

Berisford

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 10:53:57 PM »
Another contributory factor must be the cost of claims when attended by the emergency services.

Given that modern motors are bristling with devices and equipment to make them safer in a shunt it amazes me how many people are unable to get out without the roof being cut off the vehicle!

Years ago, before impact absorbing bumpers, head restraints and the rest a shunt at a junction resulted in all involved jumping out and sorting it.

Too many greedy folk about nowadays, but the rest of us pay!

Garyman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Yes it is partly down to increased costs from uninsured drivers and personal injury claims but also due to insurers paying out from claims made following the snow earlier this year.

This.

Spoke to A-Plan who said cheapest they could do was £440. 

Asked them about why insurance has gone up so much, he basically said the above.

Greenlight came back with £600 odd !

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »
last year on my 04 civic 1.6se  direct line £395 then the renewal for this year £660 with my new jazz 1.2s a/c, direct line are having a laugh, went with AXA for £340

guest1262

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I follow the advice of http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

Look on a few Price Comparison websites and find and note the best prices for you, the cover you require and your car.

Then look for car insurance Cashback offers on websites such as Top CashBack (where RAC Car Insurance, for example, is currently offering £80.00 Cashback. More Th>n's even better at £106.05).

Find a best price insurer from your Price Comparison search offering the best Cashback and you're in business. Remember though to register with your chosen Cashback site and go straight from there to the Insurance Company - ignoring the link from the Price Comparison website. And note the Cashback site used and the date and time of the purchase transaction so that you can chase them later if your Cashback doesn't appear.

Using this technique I've just insured our 2010 Jazz Ex with M&S Car Insurance. Insurance cost £227.85 (including Motor Legal Protection etc.). Cashback £35.35. M&S points 1,000 (for cardholders). Total cost £182.50. That was the best deal for me on the day.

guest2765

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
This is why you shouldnt claim for personal injury if you wernt injured..unfortunately the uk is full of greedy people who only think of the instant money instead of the long term effects on everyone

guest671

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 07:39:15 PM »
I currently insure with Saga and each year go through the same process. Saga send me a quote for some ridiculous amount. I then get a online quote from Sainsbury's which is always loads cheaper. I then call Saga and they match Sainsbury's quote (less £1). Easy peesy!! I currently pay £230.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »
Currently paying £560 inc breakdown cover.

Geoffers

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
Paid £210 last year with no claims protection and 1st £100 of a claim. Refused the Breakdown Cover (have RAC membership) and got a hefty reduction of circa £70!

guest907

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
I had 2 'no fault' claims on my last EX in the same policy year, 1st a cyclist rode into the side, 2nd LHD lorry swiped me on M6 and drove off. 1st incident car repaired, no one to claim off...2nd incident car written off, no one to claim off.

Sent premium with Churchill (includes business cover) from £650 to £1,300 with loss of No Claims to 4 years. I need to move to a cheaper postcode area.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
I had a quote from Hastings Direct for over £1,200!

I was with them in 2010 (ASDA last year) and they charged less than £400.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
Driving instructor policy, any driver over 16 on or off road, £450 fully comprehensive, was £399 last year for a two year old Astra.

Tags:

anything