Author Topic: Timing chains  (Read 2371 times)

guest5079

Timing chains
« on: May 27, 2018, 03:08:44 PM »
On occasion there is a question about the Jazzes timing chain. It appears that the general opinion is that it is long lasting. I think OZZIE can verify this.
WELL, two different articles have mentioned the MINI timing chain. One was a buyer of a S/H Mini ( BMW) it was if I remember correctly a 2010 and he bought mechanical breakdown insurance. The engine blew up. Garage took it in and diagnosed timing chain broken and a wrecked engine. So he claimed from his insurance ( RAC) as he had only had the car a comparatively short time. RAC rejected his claim saying he should have heard the timing chain rattling.  Well in another article about buying a S/H Mini there was a warning about listening to the timing chain and if rattling avoid it like the plague.
Considering the hype about BMW and their superb engineering I don't think this is  very good, even the old BMC A series engine timing chain used to rattle an awful long time before it was likely to break, two new rubber rings around the pulley often use to cure it. BMW and VAG aren't doing too well at the moment are they?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Timing chains
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »
The issue with MINI timing chains was related to a tensioner design fault that BMW eventually rectified.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
2007 to 2011 Minis used Peugeot engines....  They are also well known for using lot of oil, and I bet a lot of Mini owners don't check their oil level regularly between the 2 year service intervals. 

The tensioner is oil pressure driven and so low oil level doesn't help.   The turbo models are far more prone to timing chain stretching/slipping/tensioner failures.  Non-turbo models can suffer same fate but usually at far higher mileages than turbo models.

My sister's 2007 non-turbo Cooper owned from new, has about 40k miles on the clock, and uses somewhere between 0.5 to 1.0 litres of oil every 1,000 miles.  If a Honda engine used this oil, we'd probably freak out :-)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:45:07 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »
If you look at the timing chain, sprockets and associated components on the Jazz, and compare it with something like those fitted to a FIAT 1.3 multijet diesel, which are known for failing, it is immediately obvious that you have very little to worry about with the Honda.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
If you look at the timing chain, sprockets and associated components on the Jazz, and compare it with something like those fitted to a FIAT 1.3 multijet diesel, which are known for failing, it is immediately obvious that you have very little to worry about with the Honda.

Honda have been making high revving motorcycle and car engines for a very long time, as well as all sorts of other engines, including aero engines - and in USA the Fit engine is used to power aircraft (they are largest manufacturer of engines in the world), their engines are well sorted (and the oil consumption  :-X )  Jap engines run on oil, just make sure you use decent oil and change it and the filter regularly (use a Honda or good branded filter though,  some filters will either block up quickly and go onto bypass = no filtering, or let particles the size of small meteorites  through).  Filters are too important to buy on ebay for £1.50.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:30:03 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
I think Richard A summed the situation very well. BMW eventually sorted the problem out. Didn't help the poor mutt who's engine blew up. If there was a recall why did the seller not check that it was done and the RAC is being somewhat  dodgy in taking his money for mechanical breakdown cover not checking that the Mini was modified. BMW are also  EVENTUALLY sorting out the wiring problem.
It appears that ALL vehicle manufacturers are in the same boat, have a problem bury head in sand and hope it goes away.
Last year was the first year I was responsible for the Jazzes oil and filter change. After deliberation I concluded that to preserve the 'integrity' of the service record I would use a Honda filter, which I bought from Cox. Yes I could have bought one cheaper BUT what price a few quid for a filter compared to the cost of an engine.
Many many years ago my Mother bought a Ford Consul. It was a little over three years old. A short while later the engine was 'groaning' . For three years there had not been an oil or filter change. Engine knackered. Thank heavens the day of the bomb site dealer have gone. Some would say they now operate from shiny showrooms. Today we are blessed with better engineering, better oils so why not pay a bit extra for a decent filter.

Tags:

anything