Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Locking petrol cap?
« Last post by sparky Paul on February 18, 2018, 11:42:31 PM »
Don't worry, we all have 'moments'.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.
« Last post by Downsizer on February 18, 2018, 10:59:27 PM »
22 posts in one thread in one day - 23 now.  Is this a record?  Perhaps because it's Sunday....
« Last post by peteo48 on February 18, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »
Because if I stop at the lights, shift into neutral, the auto stop won't work. I would have to manually restart the engine.
Yes it will. As I have already pointed out selecting neutral does not restart the engine. Nor does it interfere with idle stop in any other way. The engine will restart perfectly well if you release the footbrake, move the gear selector to any other position or adjust the steering wheel.

I did actually email Honda about this shortly after I got the car however their response was pathetic. They just reiterated what the manual said about idle stop, completely failing to address my concerns.

But..as I noted - not applying the handbrake is endemic these days. Almost no-one bothers to take their foot off the foot brake when stationary. It's possible that the vast majority of drivers are now driving automatics but I doubt it. It's valid to complain about the design of idle stop but choosing not to avail yourself of it or suffering the hassle of manually switching off seems silly. One less set of brake lights in a traffic queue is not going to make any difference.

As for the law it makes sense to me. As another poster said: The rule is that you mustn't dazzle other users with your brake lights but if properly fitted brake lights are designed not to dazzle there is no problem. I can honestly say that brake lights in my eyes have never been anything other than a minor irritation. Anyone being genuinely dazzled is either behind a car with defective lights or needs to see an optician.

You are right - got myself a bit mixed up! As soon as you take your foot off the footbrake, once the engine has stopped, it will start again.

Auto idle stop works excellently on a manual because the engine restarts when you depress the clutch. At lights you can go into neutral, handbrake on and rest your legs. In an automatic you have to exercise firm downward pressure on the brake pedal to stop the thing from restarting thus tiring your right leg and annoying following vehicles.

They need a major rethink to allow you to go into neutral and take your foot off the brake, put the handbrake on and then restart the engine - perhaps with the accelerator.

Or maybe auto idle stop systems are a bad idea full stop - especially on automatics. No wonder many people turn them off.
New Members / Re: New boy alert!
« Last post by 123Drive! on February 18, 2018, 10:36:10 PM »
I use Shell V-Power petrol. Watch out for leaks inside the boot. Just service the car according to the book and you will be fine. Welcome!
« Last post by Lewo on February 18, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
How stupid do I feel, I thought the car was locked but it wasn't. Oh dear..... :o
Thanks.
Future questions will be of a better standard!!  :-[  :)
« Last post by Lewo on February 18, 2018, 10:23:26 PM »
That's what I though it should do, I'll have another look!
« Last post by Ozzie on February 18, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »
It should lock as part of the central locking. Have you tried opening the flap when the doors are locked?
(Sorry if that's so damn obvious )
New Members / Re: New boy alert!
« Last post by Jocko on February 18, 2018, 10:04:16 PM »
Thanks, it's 8 valve engine.
Will have a look at the ACEA spec, but if I go for the millers think I'll get 5/40 as it's the same as use in the golf.
They all have 16 valves. Some have 8 spark plugs and some have 16. The handbook covers both engine configurations.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Locking petrol cap?
« Last post by Lewo on February 18, 2018, 10:00:18 PM »
Just realised today that the petrol cap flap doesn't lock, well I don't think it does anyway?
Is that right for a DSi 2008 car?
Thanks
« Last post by Jocko on February 18, 2018, 09:58:36 PM »
Rule 114 of the Highway Code says you must not "use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders" but I think, as this is enshrined in law (RVLR reg 27), it refers to headlights, fog lights etc. If they were talking about brake lights then they would be specified, as are rear fog lamps and reversing lamps. Not just lumped in under Item 11, Any other lamp.
I have never been dazzles by brake lights, not even the high level ones that stretch right across the top of the rear screen, and I have a cataract in one eye. Red light does not destroy night vision. Rhodopsin in the human rods is insensitive to the longer red wavelengths, so traditionally many people use red light to help preserve night vision. Red light only slowly depletes the rhodopsin stores in the rods, and instead is viewed by the red sensitive cone cells. That is the reason the bridge of a ship or the flight deck of an aircraft is illuminated by red lights.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
anything