Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
I had a Ford 100E, with a radiator about 3' tall. In the winter I hung a lump of cardboard blanking the bottom half of the radiator, held like a framed picture, by wire hung from the filler cap.

Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Secret Jazz feature - interior roof tether points
« Last post by Pumpkin on August 15, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »
I bet there are a lot of people who don't know about these, I certainly didn't. I was in the boot and looked up at the roof, and there I saw a removable plastic cover with steel rings inside for securing loads. I might get some butchers hooks so I can hang my shopping bags up!
Life is too short to prat about with bits of cardboard stuffed into radiators, also I am sure the aircon will be impressed at losing the cooling air to its condenser. My car works fine as it is. I have been in both Canada and Norway in winter with a temperature of minus lots, I don't recall anyone blocking off their radiator. It would make for an interesting warranty claim, "My engine has overheating damage because I blocked off the radiator". I can see the dealers staff in hysterics, after you have left of course!

It used to make sense to block off the rad in winter for faster warm-up when mechanical or viscous coupled fans were used on radiator which used to suck cold air all the time and blow it over the engine - slowing the warm-up (and have been known to cause cold radiators to freeze),  but with electric fans they don't kick in until engine is starting to overheat anyway.  Modern engines have the least volume of coolant they can safely get away with so this also speeds up the warm-up time.

I remember you could fit radiator blinds with a cable and a handle inside the car to raise and lower the blind, but a lot of 'low tech' people did use cardboard.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Replacement keys
« Last post by DesmoDan on August 15, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
I went down to Gaurdian Security in Exeter today , they said they can cut and code a new key with remote for 120 and that it would take about 20-25 minutes . 
I went into Honda just out of interest they said it would take between 6-8 weeks for the key to arrive and that it would be 258  :o
Think I'll be going down the non genuine route .
DIY Guides / Re: Cvt fluid change
« Last post by TG on August 15, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »
On the official service schedule it is now replace every 2 years, but I see no harm on waiting until you start to feel the judder if you are doing the maintenance yourself.  There would also be no harm in waiting a week between 1st and 2nd fill, a luxury that a garage does not have.
--
TG
« Last post by Nils on August 15, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Thank you for your detail answer! I Is there some information about when just change CVT oil and when to make a double fluid change? 
If I need double fluid change may I do second change later on? (I have only 4 liters of CVT oil now)
« Last post by VicW on August 15, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »
  I suggest that it is better to drain warm oil than cold as it flows more freely and hence carries more debris with it. If you are doing a double fluid change, ie a flush, then the second oil change will be cold.
Don't just warm the engine before you change the oil as this will not warm up the gearbox oil, take the car for a drive and use all the gearbox functions, 'D', 'S' and 'R', to get the oil thoroughly warm. You can of course put it all back together to warm up the second oil change if you are doing two.

Vic.
Life is too short to prat about with bits of cardboard stuffed into radiators, also I am sure the aircon will be impressed at losing the cooling air to its condenser. My car works fine as it is. I have been in both Canada and Norway in winter with a temperature of minus lots, I don't recall anyone blocking off their radiator. It would make for an interesting warranty claim, "My engine has overheating damage because I blocked off the radiator". I can see the dealers staff in hysterics, after you have left of course!
I know that from reading the Hypermiler's site they say that they block the grill to prevent the cold air from chilling the block and manifold. On a cold morning the windchill factor means that the air flowing round the block is sub zero. Warmer intake air also improves economy (though slightly reduces power).
« Last post by Nils on August 15, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »
Please tell me how better to drain old CVT fluid, should I warm the engine or drain the cold oil?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]