Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 697241 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #690 on: January 10, 2018, 11:19:47 PM »
So anyway. What do you think of the future Honda output?

Reminds me of a Mini Clubman, 1980 vintage.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:24:15 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #691 on: January 11, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »
Very similar front end.
How many of the current forum members will stick with Honda, if all they sell are EVs and Hybrids? Who knows, they may even include some fuel cell technology in their EV range.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #692 on: January 11, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/are-electric-cars-actually-worse-for-the-environment/

This is quite interesting from the RAC about the environmental impacts of EVs. Quite a balanced article I thought. From my own point of view, being a very low mileage driver, the fact that it takes twice as much energy to manufacture an EV means I would likely never reach an environmental break even point.

That leaves me with 2 reasons to buy one. 1) They are an interesting gadget. 2) The running costs would be lower.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #693 on: January 11, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »
Interesting article. Another thing to remember is that the pollution caused by burning fossil fuels is not the whole of it. There is a all the pollution due to getting it out of the ground and then refining it. As EVs blossom fossil fuels will start to be used less and the overall pollution associated with them will decrease. And I know hydrocarbons are required to manufacture plastics and such, but perhaps the way the wind is blowing, the demand for them may also decrease too.
As an aside, and in that vein, Scotland is to ban the manufacture and sale of plastic cotton buds.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42640680

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #694 on: January 11, 2018, 08:04:44 PM »
The things people flush down the toilet blows my mind, why would you flush cotton buds away, also some toilet wipes are made from almost cloth, certainly not the cellulose of normal bog-roll.   When we lived in Aussie they had big problems with pollution on beaches (one of the worst was Bondi ) and had a campaign showing a toilet pan and a dustbin and the simple message was  'do not confuse these two' . 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #695 on: January 11, 2018, 09:50:48 PM »
Very similar front end.
How many of the current forum members will stick with Honda, if all they sell are EVs and Hybrids? Who knows, they may even include some fuel cell technology in their EV range.
Hybrids can come in many flavours largely influenced by battery capacity and motor/generator rating (and hence extra cost). I still like the IMA approach used in the Mk 2 Jazz hybrid but that implementation didn't provide a big improvement to fuel economy due to a relative heavy but low capacity battery. However, it appears that Honda is currently using a 7 speed dual clutch gearbox in the current Jazz hybrid https://www.carbay.ph/car-news/2018-honda-jazzfit-revealed-in-japan-21164881.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #696 on: January 15, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
Yesterday, I came across an advert for two S/H Renault Zoe's from a Renault dealer. One was a 15 plate and one a 65 plate.  The 15 plate had done 13700 miles and was asking circa £8000 and the 65 plate had done 16500 miles and was £7,750. Now, I then looked at the Renault web site. New, the cheapest was £18000 plus after Government subsidy. So given the age of these two vehicles it seems a fairly steep depreciation given the quest for EV's. Now, the price of £18000 for the cheapest model was dependent on the leasing of batteries. 6,000 miles per annum for the more powerful battery was £69 per month. Renault claim that the distance available from batteries was from 239Km to 402Km. I think that's 150 - 250 miles.
Now, this am on the subject of Autonomous vehicles, was a Lady offering a prize for submissions on road infrastructure and the autonomous vehicle, re roundabouts traffic lights etc. Given HM Government cannot even afford to maintain our existing road system who is going to pay for the road system to be built to accommodate these vehicles?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #697 on: January 15, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
I see Ford has just announced it is to boost its investment in electric vehicles to £8bn in the next five years, more than doubling a previous commitment. The car maker would have 40 hybrid and fully electric vehicles in its range by 2022.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42689637
Interesting aside is the last part of the announcement where they say "The US firm also unveiled a more fuel-efficient version of its Ranger pick-up truck, the Ranger 2019. The SUV will have a 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine, 10-speed auto transmission and automatic emergency braking."

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #698 on: January 15, 2018, 05:19:33 PM »
I see Ford has just announced it is to boost its investment in electric vehicles to £8bn in the next five years, more than doubling a previous commitment. The car maker would have 40 hybrid and fully electric vehicles in its range by 2022.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42689637
Interesting aside is the last part of the announcement where they say "The US firm also unveiled a more fuel-efficient version of its Ranger pick-up truck, the Ranger 2019. The SUV will have a 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine, 10-speed auto transmission and automatic emergency braking."

Yes, I can see they will probably need that 10 speed gearbox for their 60MPH speed limit.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #699 on: January 16, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
A brilliant "Fully Charged" giving a view of the future uptake of electric cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7k3Mzknm8
One for the sceptics among you.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #700 on: January 19, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
Just watched the latest "Fully Charged" where Robert is driven in the Jaguar I-PACE and I could not get over how much quieter it appears to be, compared with videos of the Tesla. And that is with motor whine engineered to give the sensation of speed. Something called NVH.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #701 on: January 20, 2018, 11:15:32 AM »
In July last year I started this all off with the tales of a Zoe from our Hairdresser. Yesterday, we had our haircut and
seeing no Zoe outside I asked if it had gone. It was our hairdressers husband that wanted it. She only said yes it has gone with a smile on her face.
On the way home saw a Tesla. I had seen the car around before but kept forgetting to look up the Tesla badge. On the Wikipedia page was an 'ad' for a Tesla supercharger locally. I only looked as I thought it meant someone had literally made a supercharger for the Tesla.  I have seen the car in Launceston and the Tesla supercharging point is a Lifton a few miles away.
Does the Tesla need a special charging point? I only ask because there appeared to be several charging bays.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #702 on: January 20, 2018, 12:40:15 PM »
In July last year I started this all off with the tales of a Zoe from our Hairdresser. Yesterday, we had our haircut and
seeing no Zoe outside I asked if it had gone. It was our hairdressers husband that wanted it. She only said yes it has gone with a smile on her face.
On the way home saw a Tesla. I had seen the car around before but kept forgetting to look up the Tesla badge. On the Wikipedia page was an 'ad' for a Tesla supercharger locally. I only looked as I thought it meant someone had literally made a supercharger for the Tesla.  I have seen the car in Launceston and the Tesla supercharging point is a Lifton a few miles away.
Does the Tesla need a special charging point? I only ask because there appeared to be several charging bays.

Tesla use their own plugs and chargers,  like early days of mobile phones when every charger had a different voltage and plug and when you changed phone you needed a new charger, only recently standardised on mini and micro USB and 5volts LOL.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #703 on: January 20, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »
A Tesla can be charged from a home installed charger, a rapid "Supercharger", and even from a domestic 13A plug, though a full charge that way takes an age!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #704 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
Tesla have got it sussed re charging though. Loads of chargers at each location and no faffing about with Apps. Ecotricity have only just announced that faffing with Apps will be phased out this year on their chargers but what idiot decided to use Apps in the first place. Credit or Debit card - job done.

But the EV industry, collectively, haven't made it easy for EV owners apart from Tesla. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is to slow down uptake as they have so much invested in ICE cars. You've only got to go on YouTube to see people, in the pouring rain - fiddling about with Apps and cards - comic cuts indeed.

Whilst on the conspiracy theory front - is this why Nissan haven't gone straight to the 60 kwh battery which would give a real world range of 250 miles - they want the uptake to be phased as they start to run down investment in ICE plants.

Tags: