Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693822 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #360 on: October 14, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »
It was there and I know things have improved it was stated that production of electricity was not really cost effective. Forgive my memory but I seem to think it was worked out on a ton of coal or X number of cu ft of gas and what came out was something like 30% of input. I am pretty sure those figures are now out of date. However once you had the electricity it was cheaper to move it around the country.
Perhaps domestic CHP (combined heat and power) will get back on the agenda as an efficient way to use fossil fuels (or possibly wood via gasification) as the process both generates electricity and then provides heating with the waste heat. I believe that trials held a few years ago revealed serious reliability issues. Urban CHP is also implementable using small power stations and a network of hot water pipes (which will involve digging up the roads).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #361 on: October 15, 2017, 09:33:37 AM »
Thank you John Ratsey for reminding me about CHP it featured very much in my 'studies'. Now, I cannot rely on my memory enough to be certain but somewhere, recently I either read or heard that a power station had been taken off line affecting x number of homes who were on a CHP system.
If that ain't madness what is?
CHP is used on the continent and I believe the USA and yet good old Blighty  has sailed on regardless.
Just remembered something. New Tricks episode involving Battersea Power Station. Good old Brian trotting out his facts and figures. Battersea was state of the art,  had emission controls and supplied heat and power to the surrounding area. Of course it burnt coal so it had to  go.
Hopefully one of you brighter ones will put me right if I have the wrong end of the stick.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #362 on: October 16, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
To get back to the original thread, this is a brilliant little Smart Charging device shown on "Fully Charged" this week. The Zappi charger, which can be set up to ONLY use your green, free, energy.
How the CT knows which direction the current is flowing in the meter tails is beyond me, unless it is monitoring the DC component, before the inverter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EtegQfZQRw

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #363 on: October 16, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »
I think I have found the answer to my CT problem. By measuring whether the current leads or lags the voltage will show what direction the POWER is flowing.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #364 on: October 18, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »
Today is windless and sunless. Guess what? Wind and solar  energy input to the Grid is minimal less than 10%.
http://gridwatch.co.uk/

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #365 on: October 18, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »
I saw that this morning. Pretty dismal for green energy.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #366 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »
To get back to the original thread, this is a brilliant little Smart Charging device shown on "Fully Charged" this week. The Zappi charger, which can be set up to ONLY use your green, free, energy.
How the CT knows which direction the current is flowing in the meter tails is beyond me, unless it is monitoring the DC component, before the inverter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EtegQfZQRw

Robert Llewellyn must be accumulating an expensive collection of battery and renewable stuff at his country pile, I bet all of it is FOC if he agrees to do a favourable program.   For me it is ironic that Llewellyn went from 'scrap heap challenge' to being the doyen of the renewables / EV community.   Most presenters (and I include petrol head Clarkson in this) will swap sides if they can keep their cushy lifestyle and celebrity status,  they sniff out any opportunity to pick up the latest fashion and get a comfy seat on the bandwagon.

Anyone relying on solar today will eat a cold dinner in the dark, clouds are touching the ground by us. A bit of wind (but that can happen when you eat uncooked food LOL).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:49:05 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #367 on: October 19, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »
I bet all of it is FOC if he agrees to do a favourable program.   For me it is ironic that Llewellyn went from 'scrap heap challenge' to being the doyen of the renewables / EV community.
He makes it quite clear on a number of the videos that everything he has installed he has paid for and that he does not take FOC stuff from the various places he visits. I know his Tesla is leased and his Leaf he has had for years.
Regarding Scrapheap Challenge, I suppose that is the ultimate in green recycling, so no conflict there.
Sorry your weather is so miserable today. We have a gorgeous, dry, warm, sunny, morning here despite the fact the sun doesn't rise until almost 8 am this time of the year.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »
A friend who sends me 'Funnies' sent this:

Headlines from 2030

'OZONE created by EV's now killing millions'

I sincerely hope this will not generate another 25 pages.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #369 on: October 20, 2017, 09:56:54 AM »
It was on the news a week ago that the hole in the ozone layer could take 30 years longer to repair, than expected, because of chlorine containing chemicals. Used in Paint stripper and PCB manufacture (among other things), these chemicals are mainly produced, unregulated, in China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41585552

On a brighter note, This little lot, courtesy of Bosch, on latest episode of "Fully Charged".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k5TDZ6irG4&t=804s

I'd love one of the scooters!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #370 on: October 20, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »
I thought the Bosch mower on FC looked quite funky, until I looked the price up online.  :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #371 on: October 20, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »
A friend who sends me 'Funnies' sent this:

Headlines from 2030

'OZONE created by EV's now killing millions'

I sincerely hope this will not generate another 25 pages.

No-one could argue with the headline that 'humans are destroying the only habitable planet in the known universe with their selfishness, greed and runaway overpopulation'.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #372 on: October 20, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »
The stuff on show were all made by 3rd parties. Only the components are manufactured by Bosch.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #373 on: October 20, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/24/exclusive-green-energy-tycoon-eye-storm-electric-car-charging/

The article says it costs about £50K to install and maintain one charging point,  did anyone think prices would not rise. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #374 on: October 20, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »
Of course they quote a cost like that. They are trying to justify fleecing the motoring public. Image Shell putting their petrol up to £5/Litre then saying the rise was due to the cost of installing and maintaining a petrol pump and quoting £50K instead of the £7K it actually costs. You'd laugh your socks off and go elsewhere.
This story is about a man, who is not satisfied with his £100 million fortune and wants to make more by taking it out of our pockets. Typical of all big businessmen, worldwide.

Tags: