Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 770791 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1095 on: March 04, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
If you told me that was a Mark 4 Jazz I would have believed you.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1096 on: March 04, 2019, 08:15:30 PM »
I agree. I was thrown by the Model 3 front treatment.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1097 on: March 04, 2019, 08:44:44 PM »

Looks a bit more like a Fiesta to me
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1098 on: March 04, 2019, 08:50:03 PM »
You put the numbers into the computer and they tend to come up with the same result. Minor trim touches are what makes the difference.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1099 on: March 05, 2019, 07:01:13 AM »
The worlds most powerful road legal production car has been announced at the Geneva Motor Show. The electric Pininfarina Battista produces the equivalent of 1900 bhp (around 1500 KW I would imagine), and does 0-62mph in less than two seconds, 186mph in less than 12 seconds, has a top speed of more than 250mph, and does 280 miles on one charge.
Wonder how long before some superstar wraps one round a city centre lamp post? Or how long it takes some journo to point out that you don't get 280 miles while trying out its performance??

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47418405

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #1100 on: March 05, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »
What a perfect alternative to HS2. Put it on rails, add a pantergraph and Bob's your uncle!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1101 on: March 05, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »
They could give us all one and it would still work out cheaper!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #1102 on: March 05, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
I have been saying this for years Jocko. Obviously it is sarcasm. But it would be cheaper to build a dedicated hypercar lane down the M1 and supply a fleet of self driving Bugatti Veyrons and these things, for the nutters who absolutely have to get to London 20 minutes earlier than the rest of us.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1103 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31:02 AM »
The worlds most powerful road legal production car has been announced at the Geneva Motor Show. The electric Pininfarina Battista produces the equivalent of 1900 bhp (around 1500 KW I would imagine), and does 0-62mph in less than two seconds, 186mph in less than 12 seconds, has a top speed of more than 250mph, and does 280 miles on one charge.
Wonder how long before some superstar wraps one round a city centre lamp post? Or how long it takes some journo to point out that you don't get 280 miles while trying out its performance??

Wonder if they drive these at 50mph in the test to come up with a 280 mile range ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1104 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:17 AM »
Saw a YouTube video a year or so back by an EV enthusiast and he reckoned that two thirds of the claimed range was a good working figure. So a 30 kwh Nissan Leaf claims 155 but 105 is a good working figure for what you'll get in real life. My mate who has a 24 kwh Nissan Leaf disputes this but then he does drive at 55 mph on the motorway and wears arctic gear in the winter rather than use the heater!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1105 on: March 05, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »
Saw a YouTube video a year or so back by an EV enthusiast and he reckoned that two thirds of the claimed range was a good working figure. So a 30 kwh Nissan Leaf claims 155 but 105 is a good working figure for what you'll get in real life. My mate who has a 24 kwh Nissan Leaf disputes this but then he does drive at 55 mph on the motorway and wears arctic gear in the winter rather than use the heater!

That fits in with the guy who waited to buy the new 2018 Leaf because of its promised 235mile range but he never got more than 150 miles to a charge,  and to add insult to injury he found that you could only use rapid charge once a day ( ? the car itself decided that it would not accept rapid charge and reduced charge rate,  apparently this is to protect the battery ) so rather than the promised 60 minute or so wait at charger he was there for 3 hours mid-journey - It was all over the newspapers - last I heard he was suing Nissan...

I would be miffed if I stopped on the motorway to fill my car up and found that the car had decided I could only put petrol in through a 0.5mm diameter hole 'to protect the fuel tank' LOL
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:15:08 AM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1106 on: March 05, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
Wonder if they drive these at 50mph in the test to come up with a 280 mile range ?
I would imaging it would be the Worldwide harmonised light-duty vehicle test procedure, same as all the rest.

http://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/

Watching a video on the Jaguar I-PACE and it conditions the cabin temperature and heated seats for you, while it is drawing power from the mains, so you at least start out with a warm car. What you do after that is your choice.

Nissan shot themselves in the feet (both of them) with the Chargegate fiasco.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1107 on: March 05, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »
Some real life ranges for BEV, Tesla come out pretty badly.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6337871/New-test-reveals-far-electric-cars-REALLY-travel-charge.html

What will replace fuel and VAT revenue loss, one suggestion is 3000 miles a year free and then you get charged, mileage monitored by an onboard gizmo, there will soon be places spring up to 'reset your gizmo' for a small fee ....

( a bit like the 'mileage correction' services you can get for vehicles now )

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6319671/The-Government-turn-road-pricing-replace-28bn-lost-fuel-duty-revenue.html

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1108 on: March 05, 2019, 03:26:06 PM »
NEDC was always grossly over optimistic and Tesla S 75D was old technology with the small battery and dual motors. In fact it is no longer offered new. The latest, new tech vehicles, offer much better  range. Miles/kWh is a better indication of efficiency, which shows how rubbish the S 75D is.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1109 on: March 05, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
NEDC was always grossly over optimistic and Tesla S 75D was old technology with the small battery and dual motors. In fact it is no longer offered new. The latest, new tech vehicles, offer much better  range. Miles/kWh is a better indication of efficiency, which shows how rubbish the S 75D is.

BEV ranges are still short compared to ICE vehicles,  so the fact that owners are reporting on average only getting 70% or less of claimed range is a big deal. I know the figures on ICE vehicles are a bit suspect for some makes but most manage to get around 85 / 90% of claimed MPG.  The other big deal is battery management,  the reason Nissan will not allow fast charges may be down to battery temperature - but as we know installing battery cooling will add size, weight and cost to already expensive vehicles....

Tags:

anything