Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 770813 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2445 on: December 07, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »
Yes - the Tobacco Industry set a template for the fossil fuel industries. There is an America Pollster - Frank Lunz - who was involved with big tobacco. He has said that the approach, in the face of strong evidence, is not outright denial but to foster doubt and that is what is happening with the argument around Climate Change.

The ironic thing is that it was scientists working for Exxon Mobile who were amongst the first groups to raise the alarm. Exxon then went into full "trash the evidence" mode because they knew that it would hit their profits.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2446 on: December 07, 2021, 12:04:13 PM »
Britannia Rescue have reported EV vehicles have far more wheel and tyre problems than conventional vehicles.

The added weight of the batteries is playing havoc with them it seems :

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10280655/EVs-twice-likely-suffer-wheel-tyre-breakdowns-petrol-diesel-cars.html
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2447 on: December 07, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »
Britannia Rescue have reported EV vehicles have far more wheel and tyre problems than conventional vehicles.

The added weight of the batteries is playing havoc with them it seems :

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10280655/EVs-twice-likely-suffer-wheel-tyre-breakdowns-petrol-diesel-cars.html

The answer will be to increase the strength of wheels and the special tyres  needed will be heavier, less flexible and cost a lot more...  making the vehicles even heavier, and the tyres harder to recycle... 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2448 on: December 07, 2021, 06:40:05 PM »
This is another example of worthless statistics. They say that more than twice as many call-outs to EVs are for wheel and tyre issues as for ICE cars. However, if EVs are more than twice as mechanically reliable as ICE vehicles then it stands to reason that wheels and tyres would play a bigger part in the EV percentage. I am not saying they are not harder on tyres but the statistics published are just gobbledygook.
If of 1,000 EV cars they were called out to 360 had tyre problems that is 36%. However, if they were called out to 2500 ICE cars, and 400 had tyre problems then that is 16% of ICE cars. You could say that apart from more or less equal tyre issues EVs are 3.28 times more reliable than ICE cars! Worthless statistics.
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2449 on: December 07, 2021, 10:30:04 PM »
Agree, percentages of faults don't mean anything per se. ICE cars have a lot more stuff to get problems with, fuel pumps, ignition parts etc.
If just one EV car has a problem, and that problem is a flat tyre, then it means 100% of EV faults are tyres. Meaningless without more info.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2450 on: December 08, 2021, 05:32:14 AM »
Fully EV vehicles

Some parts near Aberdeen have been without electricity for about 11 days.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2451 on: December 08, 2021, 10:10:21 AM »
And so much snow they wouldn't be going anywhere anyway.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2452 on: December 08, 2021, 10:19:12 AM »
Fully EV vehicles

So, no fuel pumps for ICE vehicles then  :D
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2453 on: December 08, 2021, 10:30:40 AM »
Ah, yes, forgot about that  :(

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2454 on: December 08, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »
This is another example of worthless statistics. They say that more than twice as many call-outs to EVs are for wheel and tyre issues as for ICE cars. However, if EVs are more than twice as mechanically reliable as ICE vehicles then it stands to reason that wheels and tyres would play a bigger part in the EV percentage. I am not saying they are not harder on tyres but the statistics published are just gobbledygook.
If of 1,000 EV cars they were called out to 360 had tyre problems that is 36%. However, if they were called out to 2500 ICE cars, and 400 had tyre problems then that is 16% of ICE cars. You could say that apart from more or less equal tyre issues EVs are 3.28 times more reliable than ICE cars! Worthless statistics.
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Excellent analysis Jocko. It should also be noted that most EVs are only 10-15% heavier than the ICE equivalent. And they don't get heavier on a full charge!

Also, please note that ThisIsMoney is an imprint of The Daily Mail. Read into that what you will. What I see is the exact same style of article as you see in The Daily Mail, i.e. a few sparse sketchy 'facts' spun into a 'shock horror probe' story which repeats itself several times.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2455 on: December 08, 2021, 11:02:10 AM »
BMW I3swear their rear tyres very quickly - c 15k miles. A combination of rwd and 0-60 in under 8 seconds encourages spirited driving and the rear tyres wear - some makes are worse than others for wear AND punctures.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2456 on: December 08, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »
Discussing EVs with my neighbour the other day. She says she won't get one until she absolutely has to. She kept on about being trapped in bad conditions on the motorway and freezing to death because the EV battery was dead. Surely a similar situation would pertain in an ICE car if the fuel level was low?

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2457 on: December 08, 2021, 12:24:29 PM »
Discussing EVs with my neighbour the other day. She says she won't get one until she absolutely has to. She kept on about being trapped in bad conditions on the motorway and freezing to death because the EV battery was dead. Surely a similar situation would pertain in an ICE car if the fuel level was low?
True, but at the moment there is more opportunity to refill a fuel tank than recharge a battery.
Neil Ives

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2458 on: December 08, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
Fully EV vehicles

So, no fuel pumps for ICE vehicles then  :D

And NO Charge points for EVs either Doh.

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2459 on: December 08, 2021, 01:48:25 PM »
True, but at the moment there is more opportunity to refill a fuel tank than recharge a battery.

Especially if one is prudent and forward thinking perhaps an Emergency can of fuel in the boot.?
Or most unlikely a spare Battery for your EV.

Tags: