Author Topic: The Beast from the East.  (Read 12230 times)

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: The Beast from the East.
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 08:37:02 AM »
Here on Norfolk Coast there's only 2 or 3 inches of snow lying, most urban areas are clear enough to drive on. Trouble is the rural areas in between, the wind blows the top layer of snow off the fields onto the roads causing almost permanent mini snow storms with about 3 metres visibility, if the driver at the front stops everyone else gets stuck behind them or piles into the rear car.
I'm an emergency worker, lots of my colleagues could come under what everyone's calling "the snowflake generation", they all turned up for work, many of them early and went out in ropey conditions to help others, they only moan when there's no internet.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2018, 08:46:04 AM »
Personally, I think how you drive in snow is much more important than if you have summer or winter tyres on.

I agree there is a technique for driving in snow, and pouring on the power when wheels start to spin is not in the handbook  :o  I consider myself a good snow driver and have never really got stuck on summer tyres despite living in Shropshire which is famous for its hills - even in rear drive cars (bag of sand and a shovel in the boot) - but winter tyres really give you so much more grip its hard to believe the difference.  As I said before the bonus in not using alloys in the winter means they stay in good shape,  and steel wheels give a lot more protection to brakes than alloys,  and steel rims are easier to maintain than expensive alloys.   Winter wheels and tyres are an investment and maybe not a good idea if you regularly change vehicles because you won't get money back  by selling them,  but if you are going to keep the vehicle for a few years it is probably worth it,  because when you are wearing your winter tyres out you are not wearing out your summers  :-X
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:03:21 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 08:47:50 AM »
I'm an emergency worker, lots of my colleagues could come under what everyone's calling "the snowflake generation", they all turned up for work, many of them early and went out in ropey conditions to help others, they only moan when there's no internet.

a proper snowflake would probably not have joined emergency services - I know some people who 'if it can't be done on a computer or phone, it don't get done'...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »
Just been out to clean off the car and found a spray bottle of Halfords Extreme -35degC de-icer in the boot frozen solid - the AutoGlym right next to it was fine and the benefit is the A/G does not smear on the screen like most other de-icers, It costs a bit more but vastly superior to others I have used - may have bought the Halfords because it was on special.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
Culzean owning Autoglym products! I know he has some Super Resin Polish.

Is he a closet detailer? ;) :P

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 03:11:55 PM »
Culzean owning Autoglym products! I know he has some Super Resin Polish.

Is he a closet detailer? ;) :P

our closets are clean,  but not shiny LOL

As I said I bought the AuotoGlym super resin polish for PVC window frames and facia boards,  but it did a great job and I still had a lot left so tried it on the cars. Still got a half bottle left so maybe will need to buy another one in 2019.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »
Garage door does appear to have damaged my paintwork. I'll probably find what it did the next time I give the car a was!
Got my wife safely home from her work and car is now in the garage. The Red Warning ended at 10:00 but the snow, if anything, has been heavier since that time. It is just so bitterly cold. I am even wearing my bobble hat in the house!!

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »
Following on from my previous post yesterday, now in the middle of a second helping of snow, it is now about six inches deep outside on my drive and in the road and still snowing heavily, nobody has moved in the close all day. :o
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:42:12 PM by Hobo »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 05:07:07 PM »
I downloaded my dash cam video from this morning's commute and here is a frame grab from it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 05:30:26 PM »
That's a great shot!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 05:31:56 PM »
We had about -9 deg C in our part of Shropshire last night,  still down at between -4 and -5 today depending if you were in the sun or not,  we have had the snow equivalent of 'fine drizzling rain' blowing around here all day,  but only put about an inch of snow down,  ran into a few icy patches even on gritted roads out of the sun,  bl00dy van driver behind almost on rear bumper for miles of snow covered (it was sticking and not melting, plus icy patches) when I was doing about 40 in 60 limits,  he had a real brown pants moment on one hilly bend and dropped back quite   a way after that,  I had winters on and still slid a bit on some of the icy bits with a very light powder snow covering,  so he must have been sliding a bit but still didn't drop back until his boxer shorts changed colour LOL

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 07:58:31 PM »
That's a good quality photo from the dash cam Jocko, are all dash cams that good, what type do you have ?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 09:31:53 PM »
That's a good quality photo from the dash cam Jocko, are all dash cams that good, what type do you have ?
That is poor compared with the video it produces. I have a Nextbase 512G. It has been superceded by higher quality models, but this is the blurb:

The Nextbase 512G has just been awarded a Which? Best Buy 2015. Scoring Best on test in the Dash Cam category. Bright, clear 2.7 inch 16:9 LED screen for easy playback and menu operation. Automatically record whilst driving - your own independent witness in FULL 1080p High Definition.
Worlds first dash cam with anti-glare polarising filter to remove glare from your windscreen. Advanced Sony Exmor sensor for ultimate picture clarity - the 512G uses the very latest sensor on the market to ensure you capture the footage you need, day and night.
140 degree wide angle view with automatic 1080 High Definition recording at 30 frames per second. Six-Element Sharp Lenses made with 6 layers of glass to provide stunning clear images
Built in GPS and G sensor record location and force data. Wide Dynamic Range image processing ensures clear recordings in bright and dark light with up to ISO 3200 at night.
Parking mode detects motion and automatically records whilst your car is parked. Photo mode allows you to take still images for further evidence.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »
I have been using Nextbase 512GW for over 6 months and very happy with quality,  however at full resolution a 32GB SD card lasts about 4 hours before overwriting oldest clips. I found VLC player to be good for jerk free play back (it does not give you speed or location data though) if you use the next base apps it can be jerky but it shows you GPS speed data and shows an inset map with your vehicles position.  I have got used to pressing the 'lock clip' button at bottom LH  of camera when I go through a speed camera to preserve the date, time, GPS speed and a picture of the speed van or camera, it could prove useful if I get sent a ticket.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2018, 07:23:26 AM »
Conditions are even worse here this morning. Heavy snow, 50 mph winds, drifting deep snow and sub zero temperatures. I got my wife to work and managed home safely then couldn't get the car up the gently slope into the garage. I couldn't park it outside the garage either, because even with the handbrake on it kept sliding down the hill and into the street. After 15 chillingly cold minutes I finally managed it, using salt and a reverse run up the slope. A bit like getting the minis into the bus in the "Italian Job", only in reverse!

Tags:

anything