Author Topic: Now I have seen it all.  (Read 1645 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Now I have seen it all.
« on: February 23, 2018, 07:11:20 AM »
Now I have seen it all. This morning, I saw a car parked on a light controlled pedestrian crossing while the driver went across the road to the shop. Not on the chevrons, which is really quite common, but the kn*bhead had parked right across the crossing itself! The thing is, apart from 20' of yellow lines before the chevrons there is 50 yards of empty and unrestricted parking either side of the crossing.
My brothers phrase, while he was a serving police officer and saw something like that was, "I wish I was driving the company car".

guest5079

Re: Now I have seen it all.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »
Over the years there has been a steady deterioation  in driving standards and the lack of responsibility shown by many drivers. I suspect the person in such a tearing hurry was a builder on his way to work. These were the group who I had most trouble with.
Locally, parked on the approach to a pedestrian crossing well within the chevrons, which is on a bend and junction was a local driving school car.  The instructor was  talking to a police officer. NO he wasn't being ticked off, nor being booked they were laughing and joking about an unfortunate person nearby. How do I know, they made no attempt to lower the volume.
The local police are always bemoaning the fact that they are unacceptably busy but how is it they can find time to do their shopping in Tescos. Yes, the old moan, in my days!!!!! it was a discipline offence.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:01:26 AM »
How's this for a bit of thoughtful parking from a driving instructor? Well at least he kept off the double yellows!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
There are just too many distractions today for drivers,  and 'time pressure' should often be translated as 'lack of planning' (or laziness),  has anyone else ever noticed that the same people turn up late all the time and it is always 'bad traffic' where someone from the same area turns up early.  I had a boss who made it a point of honour to turn up as late as he could for flights,  he was a right pain in the ass to travel with as he inconvenienced you and everybody else just to satisfy his ego.

Having said that,  car park spaces are pretty much always too narrow,  with barely 6" each side of the car on some parks,  how you are supposed to get in and out of car is a mystery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/11/clarkson-parking-trend-fuelled-fat-cars-fat-drivers-aa-boss/

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »
On a weekly visit to the supermarket yesterday there was a large white Mercedes van parked over 2 spaces with the engine running but no sign of a driver. On coming out half an hour later it was still there and the  engine was still running. I told someone who had just arrived and was looking questioningly at the van that I was going to turn the engine off. Having got to the van door I looked in and found the driver, apparently fast asleep led across the front seats! I "accidentally" gave the door a slam and as I was getting into my car the van roared off.
I suppose that the driver's actions were preferable to driving and feeling tired at the wheel - but, with this in mind, should I have let him sleep on??

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »
That car parked on the pavement made me laugh. There is a Toyota Yaris near us who parks the whole car on the pavement. It's never been booked from what I can see.

Puts my auto idle stop brake light conundrum in a CVT into some sort of perspective!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
Now I have seen it all. This morning, I saw a car parked on a light controlled pedestrian crossing while the driver went across the road to the shop. Not on the chevrons, which is really quite common, but the kn*bhead had parked right across the crossing itself!
I see Police Forces are asking drivers to submit dashcam footage of poor driving  to be considered for prosecutions, perhaps they would accept a photo of such incidents?

guest5079

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »
Quitting a vehicle is an offence. My favourite way of dealing with them was to time them and then when they came out ask them to switch their engine off and say. Do you realise in the 10 mins you have been gone your vehicle could be 5 miles away. Often a cocky one would say, not my problem mate I just report is stolen and then you will find it. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it's found in Scotland YOU have got to get to it before some nice persons strips it out and IF you report is stolen we would inform the insurers when they ask for an incident number that you left the vehicle with the engine running. NO payout.
Bye the Bye, don't get too cocky or you will have your name written in my little book.
Unfortunately no coppers so everyone does as they damn well please.

Tags: