Author Topic: Another newbie question about grating brakes  (Read 1402 times)

DoobieNewbie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT
Another newbie question about grating brakes
« on: October 13, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »
Hi all,

Apologies as I am going to post another silly newbie question.

I am enjoying my current jazz at the moment. I have had it for almost 2 months now. So far the brakes have been smooth, no juddering or grating noted. However, as I was driving from two weeks ago I had to suddenly brake hard and suddenly I felt grating when the brake was stepped on all the way down. During normal driving with easy breaking, I have never encountered it before. Only when the brake is stepped on all the way through and it has happened only twice that I had to go full brake.

Is this normal to keep it from locking or do I need it checked? I am due for my yearly service this November though.

Apologies again for my cluelessness. I appreciate any feedback you guys can give.

Many thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Another newbie question about grating brakes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
Sounds like the ABS kicking in to stop wheels locking - each wheel has a sensor and a toothed wheel - these count the pulses as the wheels rotate, if the pulses from each wheel do not match, or the pulses from one or more wheels stop (wheel locked up) the ECU will enable the ABS to slightly release the brake pressure on the brakes to 'unlock' the wheel.

If a grating or squealing happens during normal braking your brake pads may be worn down to the acoustic wear indicator ( squealing at about 1.5mm ) or worn out altogether and metal backing is rubbing on metal brake disc ( grating noise and visible damage to surface of the disc).

Further information..

ABS pulses are also used for the cars VSA (vehicle stability assist) which stops the vehicle skidding and also acts as a traction control to stop drive wheels spinning on loose and wet roads,  the VSA has steering angle sensors accelerometers to detect if vehicle is not following its intended track ( skidding sideways) and will selectively apply brakes and reduce engine power to try to stop the skidding.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:15:18 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DoobieNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
I suspected it might be the case as I vaguely remembered when I was doing my driving lesson we practised the emergency brake session but my instructor had a Mini Cooper. But that was a sudden full stop braking. I don't know if the Jazz had the same response. Thanks so much for this. So far braking has been smooth on easy driving and normal conditions, but I'll keep an eye on it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
I suspected it might be the case as I vaguely remembered when I was doing my driving lesson we practised the emergency brake session but my instructor had a Mini Cooper. But that was a sudden full stop braking. I don't know if the Jazz had the same response. Thanks so much for this. So far braking has been smooth on easy driving and normal conditions, but I'll keep an eye on it.

If road surface is dry and plenty of grip the ABS may not cut in even under heavy braking, but a smooth road surface  and damp or wet will trigger ABS.  When I used to fit Michelin ES tyres for long mileage I could easily trigger ABS, now I have Avon tyres they have more grip and ABS often does not operate even on a wet road, and front wheels don't spin at junctions either,  all in all the car steers better and goes around bends better on Avons (the Avons are softer compound and may not have the long wear of Michelin but I do not cover anywhere near the annual miles i used to anyway).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:03:47 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DoobieNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »
Aha. That makes sense now. The road was damp today due to light showers earlier this morning. That may be the reason why it kicked it when I made a sudden stop. Thank you so much. That really helps.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 09:05:05 PM »
When I lived in Gourock my ABS got checked every day! At the bottom of one particularly steep hill there was a steel manhole cover, over which the nearside wheels would pass, and even in the dry and with normal braking the ABS would kick in.

Tags: