Author Topic: Jazz extended guarantee  (Read 3016 times)

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
Jazz extended guarantee
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
My 2015 Mk 2 Jazz Si is approaching its 3rd birthday with 16500 on the clock. I've just had an offer from my dealer for an extended guarantee - 1 year for £399, 2 years for £699, 3 years for £699 - 3 years for the price of 2 (why anyone would opt for 2 years is beyond me).
Of course this is all about risk/reward/gambling but I'd appreciate members views on this deal. I guess I am a bit risk averse, having run lots old bangers before treating myself to this Jazz in mid 2016. Part of the calculation is that the offer is conditional on Honda authorised dealer servicing which will be more expensive than my local independent garage.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: Jazz extended guarantee
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:43:23 PM »
Hi, my Jazz is 2013 with 72,000 miles on it. Not so much as an MOT advisory yet.I would hate to be blamed if a problem of any magnitude did present itself, but in my opinion not having it isn't much of a gamble. I presume wear and tear items aren't included in the cover so pads and disks you would have to pay for at Honda prices. One reason I bought a Jazz, repair bills are more unlikely just leaving servicing and consumables.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »
I will have the same choice when my Mk3 is three years old in June next year. Normally I am dead against extended warranties, but my decision will be coloured by the fact that I only have my Mk3 Jazz because my 2011 Mk2 CVT box died at 5 years 60,000 miles, and was going to cost £5,700 to repair (reduced to £4,500 on appeal but still rejected by me). The resolution of the dispute was giving me the full trade-in price for the Mk 2 Jazz (ignoring its CVT box) less £500, against a new Mk3 Jazz.

Is your Jazz manual or CVT? I don't think there are any other repairs which could cost as much as a CVT. Maybe some engine failures could cost that much, but I have never heard of any, while I have heard of one other (on this forum) CVT failure.

Just another anecdotal data point to feed in to your risk/reward decision.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »
After having my 2008 Mk2 for 5 years from new, covered by a 5 year servicing contract, I decided to take the offer of a further 2 years for peace of mind.  I felt it was a bit pricy, but it included the MOTs.  I didn't renew that contract at 7 years as I planned to sell the car early in 2016, which I did, in exchange for my current Mk 3.  I again have a 5 year service contract, which cost £555, but it doesn't cover MOT when due.  One advantage of using main dealer servicing is the automatic provision of Honda Assist, so I saved money on RAC cover when we no longer had a second car.  I made use of Honda Assist once, for a dead 7 year-old battery.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
If you prefer a warranty why not obtain a quote from Warranty Direct and or Warrantywise.
When which looked into this area they reckoned it was more expensive to take out a warranty than repair - your choice after all said and done.

pb82gh3

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »
Many thanks for all the input.
Just to clarify this, the car is manual transmission, and the warranty, called Honda Happiness (!) also covers Home Assistance, Recovery, Roadside Assistance and European Assistance. It has no mileage limit and no number of claims limit. It doesn't include wear and tear items.The initial £699 cost can also be spread over 10 months interest free to ease the pain.
I took out a service plan when I bought the car, so won't now have to pay for a Honda service until 2020.
When I throw all this into the calculation, including possibly having to buy breakdown cover elsewhere, the nett cost to me of a further 3 year warranty is about £600, which does start to look attractive. On the other hand these Honda's are so d*mn reliable.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »
Hi, my Jazz is 2013 with 72,000 miles on it. Not so much as an MOT advisory yet.I would hate to be blamed if a problem of any magnitude did present itself, but in my opinion not having it isn't much of a gamble. I presume wear and tear items aren't included in the cover so pads and disks you would have to pay for at Honda prices. One reason I bought a Jazz, repair bills are more unlikely just leaving servicing and consumables.

As you say extended warranty would not cover 'consumables' and Honda Jazz is least likely car on the planet to need roadside assistance for a breakdown unless through a neglected battery.

IMHO Jazz is one of the cheapest cars to own once you have paid for it, like all Honda vehicles it is pretty bulletproof and only usual things like brake pads, filters, batteries to worry about.  I do all my own servicing and all our Hondas have been entirely reliable and trouble free.  I am not one for modifying cars and I think that is where the trouble can start sometimes - I worked with a guy who had his 2.2 Diesel Civic chipped and then he wondered why his dual mass flywheel disintegrated shortly after....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:32:46 PM »
I will have the same choice when my Mk3 is three years old in June next year. Normally I am dead against extended warranties, but my decision will be coloured by the fact that I only have my Mk3 Jazz because my 2011 Mk2 CVT box died at 5 years 60,000 miles, and was going to cost £5,700 to repair (reduced to £4,500 on appeal but still rejected by me). The resolution of the dispute was giving me the full trade-in price for the Mk 2 Jazz (ignoring its CVT box) less £500, against a new Mk3 Jazz.

Is your Jazz manual or CVT? I don't think there are any other repairs which could cost as much as a CVT. Maybe some engine failures could cost that much, but I have never heard of any, while I have heard of one other (on this forum) CVT failure.

Just another anecdotal data point to feed in to your risk/reward decision.

I had the same with my 2012 Jazz and changed it to a 2017 jazz, would do the same today and extend warranty just in case i should happen Again, but the chance that will hapeen should be 0 but cvt boxex are not cheap.

Tags:

anything