Author Topic: Spring clean.  (Read 2982 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Spring clean.
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:09:55 AM »
Yesterday I decided to take advantage of the nice weather, and the fact that the car was washed less than a week ago, to make a start to my annual clean and wax.
I have decided not to Clay the car this year. The paintwork is getting to the stage it doesn't warrant it. After 12 years and 103,000 miles it is beginning to look the worse for wear. Add to that the fact that its MOT is due in a couple of months, and if it needs work done I intend selling it on for spares or repair, and moving to something else.
I like to polish one or two panels at a time, that way I can do a better job and split the task into bite size segments. Yesterday it was the roof and bonnet, so once the sun was away from the front of the garage I pulled the car out and washed and towelled dry both panels, and the immediate surrounds. I then returned the car to the garage and left it to dry thoroughly. After tea I went down and brought it back out to wax. I use Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax, applied with the supplied sponge. The secret is to apply it very sparingly. Once it had dried I buffed the panels up with a microfibre towel.
Some panels I will treat with Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound before waxing (front bumper and bottoms of the doors) and I will use Autoglym Tar Remover where necessary. I am wondering whether to give Car Pro Iron-X a try this year, see if that makes any difference to the paintwork.

This picture was taken earlier this year.

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
Re: Spring clean.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:38:36 AM »
looks nice you have taking good care off it. Have tried IronX worked fine for me

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »
What a beautiful classic car!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »
I'm a great believer in the "bite sized" segments approach that you use Jocko for any polishing or waxing job. If you do too much you can get careless and fed up. I used to have a system - back in the day before the whole detailing scene started - of doing a quarter of the car each month after a regular wash, with turtle wax original.

+1 for the Double Speed wax - great stuff and I find it easy to use.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
Looking not too bad after the winter. Still to complete waxing, but will need a wash first.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:05:55 PM by Jocko »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »
Gave car its first hand wash of the season. Always a worrying moment as you never know what new damage you are going to find! There is nothing like hand washing a car to find dings and rusty bits. I always say you should hand wash a car before you decide to by it!
Well I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing I wasn't aware of. I have decided to leave the wheel trims off. I like the black steel wheels. I'll have to get them off, cleaned properly, and painted.
Rear discs are scored, but shiny and do not seem to be impacting performance. I'll speak to my mechanic and possibly change them, though only an MOT fail if scoring "severely weakens" discs.

Tags: