Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2006-2014 & Insight Takata airbag recall  (Read 157299 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Honda Jazz 2006-2014 & Insight Takata airbag recall
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2016, 01:37:46 PM »
Hi All,

Today I received a letter from Honda, basically saying that I will be receiving a letter about the airbag recall, and is my address correct and do I still own the car.

However as my car is a "working car" I phoned our local Honda dealer and they tell me that they won't have the parts to do the recall till September at the earliest, and that at the moment there is no recall flagged against my car. This in itself is not a great problem, however as its a driving instruction car sometimes the Examiners refuse to take cars on test if they are awaiting recall work. So I call the local test centre, and one of the Examiners checked up his line managers and basically tell me that the recall affects 12 different manufacturers, including most Hondas built between 2005-2015. The company that supplies the airbag deployment device that needs replacing is building a new factory to meet the demand, so its going to be a long job replacing all the airbags, and as such the cars are OK for test purposes.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »
Hi All,

Today I received a letter from Honda, basically saying that I will be receiving a letter about the airbag recall, and is my address correct and do I still own the car.

However as my car is a "working car" I phoned our local Honda dealer and they tell me that they won't have the parts to do the recall till September at the earliest, and that at the moment there is no recall flagged against my car. This in itself is not a great problem, however as its a driving instruction car sometimes the Examiners refuse to take cars on test if they are awaiting recall work. So I call the local test centre, and one of the Examiners checked up his line managers and basically tell me that the recall affects 12 different manufacturers, including most Hondas built between 2005-2015. The company that supplies the airbag deployment device that needs replacing is building a new factory to meet the demand, so its going to be a long job replacing all the airbags, and as such the cars are OK for test purposes.

that is what i have a letter to tell me there is another letter comming but there is still nothing showing up on the website for my vin number for any recalls, i would go off the website and just dont worry with the letter.

my letter was for the drivers airbag and then i bet they call me in for the passenger one too.

has anyone had recalls for the a and c pillar curtain or side seat airbags? or are they different kind of airbags that are not effected?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:16:37 PM by monkeydave »

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2016, 02:34:13 PM »
'I received mine today. It does however have one crumb of comfort in that it states as of 4th May 2016 there have been no reported incidents in Northern Europe.
One can only assume that it is a covering backside job.
We await the next letter.

DWF

• Approved Member
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
I got my letter today, just 6 weeks after I traded in the car for a new Jazz, I'll phone the dealer and tell them.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »
My letter arrived last week..

Hey ho :   :P

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2016, 06:30:29 PM »
I got a letter from Honda today about an airbag recall for my September 2014 1.4 Jazz  They said they will contact me again when they have the parts.

I would be good if it could be done when I have the service in late August.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »
I have been broadly happy with Hendy in Exeter until my Safety Recall notice for Drivers Airbag letter came through.

I usually throw all Honda letters out without reading - as it is usually marketing bumf.
For some reason I opened this letter - might have been the 'IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL' in red across the envelope - but no - I honestly only looked at the envelope after I started to type the post!

Any hoo - the reason I am cheesed with Hendy is that I called them a few months ago and asked the question  - Is my Jazz subject to faulty air bags? Their service guy said emphatically that the year of my car meant that I was not at risk.

So two lesson learned:-
1. Don't trust a dealer even if you think they are trustworthy
2. READ the stupid letters

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2016, 11:02:14 AM »
the reason I am cheesed with Hendy is that I called them a few months ago and asked the question  - Is my Jazz subject to faulty air bags? Their service guy said emphatically that the year of my car meant that I was not at risk.

Was "a few months ago" before or after Honda added your model year to the recall campaign?

I'm wondering if the answer given to you was "correct at the time" because this airbag lark has been extended in scope on numerous occasions.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2016, 12:29:59 PM »
The last time i was at the Honda dealer was last April to pick up the mud guards i ordered. I then asked them about the airbag recall. They had checked my vin number after my order and said there was nothing for our car.
In the Netherland we can't check for recalls on the Honda website, i never get letters from Honda, also no marketing stuff. Once i sent an email to Honda Nederland to ask, but they replied i had to go to the Honda dealer to check. But i cannot check at the dealer every time, they have to inform me! I'm worried sometimes...

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
In the Netherland we can't check for recalls on the Honda website

A page was briefly up on the Honda Ireland website about the recall, then it disappeared. There isn't an online checker on their website as far as I know. I have two  Jazzes, one imported from Northern Ireland and the other imported from England.

I eventually received letters from Universal Honda Ireland Ltd concerning the recall.

In the UK you can look up recalls on the Government website: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

In The Nederlands go here: https://terugroepregister.rdw.nl/Pages/Terugroepregister.aspx

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »
So the update to day from a rather snooty Hendy person in Exeter saying that there is not enough parts and cancelling the appointment I made.

The letter is a clear safety recall letter, but the wording is slightly obscure. It says 'you do not need to do anything' until they contact you again. This is mentioned at the bottom of the page with the expectation you wade through all the legal jargon that is required in a formal notification process.

If I had written the letter I would have said 'please do not do anything now' until we contact you again with further instructions.
So my modified instructions with this type of communication is:-
Read the envelope closely
Read every word of the letter at least twice
Try and make sense of it
Then phone the buggers up and make a nuisance anyway!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »
In the Netherland we can't check for recalls on the Honda website

A page was briefly up on the Honda Ireland website about the recall, then it disappeared. There isn't an online checker on their website as far as I know. I have two  Jazzes, one imported from Northern Ireland and the other imported from England.

I eventually received letters from Universal Honda Ireland Ltd concerning the recall.

In the UK you can look up recalls on the Government website: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

In The Nederlands go here: https://terugroepregister.rdw.nl/Pages/Terugroepregister.aspx
Thank you. I know the website in the Netherlands, but i can not check with the vin-number. I just have to wait for a letter to come... or not.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2016, 02:32:39 PM »
But looking at the details of the first recall in the search on the RDW site it says that you'll be contacted by letter.

"Wijze waarop u wordt geďnformeerd  Een brief"

If a manufacturer has to or decided to do a safety recall, they contact that country's central vehicle registration office and get the names and address of those registered owners affected. The only issue is with recalls of such massive scale, it takes some time* to get through everyone on the list.

I can't remember how long, but I think it may have been 2 or 3 months time delay, but providing your details/address are correct with the licencing authorities, you WILL get a letter eventually.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:34:12 PM by Eddie Honda »

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2016, 02:15:27 PM »
I can't remember how long, but I think it may have been 2 or 3 months time delay, but providing your details/address are correct with the licencing authorities, you WILL get a letter eventually.
But there still is a chance that our car is not affected, or is it for sure ALL Jazz's need replacement?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »
But there still is a chance that our car is not affected, or is it for sure ALL Jazz's need replacement?
Not necessarily all, e.g. just 3 UK Honda CR-V needed Takata airbag recall. 

UK Jazz 2002 >2009: 87k airbag recalls from 163k cars. 
But for 2009 > 2014 model years the recalls are for both Takata and Continental Automotive Systems airbag units.
--
TG

Source:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/94298/honda-fiat-and-chrysler-recall-45million-vehicles-over-airbag-fault
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/93373/honda-recalls-up-to-329000-uk-cars-for-takata-airbag-fix
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=honda+jazz

Tags: recalls 

anything