Author Topic: Fit New Battery.DIY Project????  (Read 1595 times)

Bristolroversfc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EX
Fit New Battery.DIY Project????
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »
Hi.
Ive read many conflicting bits of advice regarding the above.
I have a 2013 Jazz 1.4 vtec manual.
Time to change battery  and wondering if its a straight forward job that I can do myself.
Just a case of removing old one and fitting new one,(I have radio code) ,or will it upset any ECU or other issues.
Many thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Fit New Battery.DIY Project????
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 09:00:03 AM »
Hi.
Ive read many conflicting bits of advice regarding the above.
I have a 2013 Jazz 1.4 vtec manual.
Time to change battery  and wondering if its a straight forward job that I can do myself.
Just a case of removing old one and fitting new one,(I have radio code) ,or will it upset any ECU or other issues.
Many thanks.

It is pretty easy especially if you have radio code, without power the ECU will reset to basic settings but will relearn in no time.  To save any hassle  I made up a lead from 20 metres of cheap twin speaker wire and a couple of cigarette lighter plugs ( one of the cores on speaker cable has a stripe, just make sure this goes to centre pin on both plugs to maintain correct polarity between cars )  plug one end into a donor car.  plug other end into your car turn both ignition keys to first aux position ( when the radio comes on ) and this will keep power on while you change battery.  Always remove earth lead first and reconnect it last, this means that while messing with positive terminal if you short your spanner to any body work or engine on the car you won't get a massive short or a melted spanner ( there is a lot of power even in an old battery ).

Plenty of info on forum about changing battery - do a search..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
As above..

Remove any dangling jewelry and gold chains.. and watches with metal bracelets..Before you melt them 8)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 03:48:48 PM »
If you change battery without keeping backup power on the system you may also have to re-teach the electric windows to go down all the way down in auto when you flick the down switch - but the worst that can happen us that you may have to hold the switch till they have gone fully down....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bristolroversfc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EX
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »
Many thanks for replies.
Seems like I wont encounter too many problems

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:07:58 PM »
i changed mine, took just 5 mins all i had to do was recode the radio after  :D

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:38:55 PM »
Just adding to that, make sure battery is the same as the old one. Database can be misleading and parts supplies have no idea half the time!

Tags: