Author Topic: Radiator and Condenser Fans  (Read 1210 times)

steveha

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Jazz ES
Radiator and Condenser Fans
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:59:39 PM »
Checking a few things over, I noticed that the radiator fan and the a/c condenser fan come on and go off together. This "didn't seem right" but looking at the circuit diagram, the relays are wired in parallel so it is working as designed.

Thinking through the implications:

1. If you run the A/C  when the engine is cold, it may take longer for the engine to warm up - because the radiator fan is blowing unnecessarily (Although the thermostat may help)
2. Running the radiator fan unnecessarily might shorten its life
3. Also you are wasting some power through running the radiator fan when it's not needed
4. If some of the electrics controlling the radiator fan were to fail so that it didn't run when hot, turning on the A/C could be a good idea because it will probably make the radiator fan run.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Radiator and Condenser Fans
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
Checking a few things over, I noticed that the radiator fan and the a/c condenser fan come on and go off together. This "didn't seem right" but looking at the circuit diagram, the relays are wired in parallel so it is working as designed.

Thinking through the implications:

1. If you run the A/C  when the engine is cold, it may take longer for the engine to warm up - because the radiator fan is blowing unnecessarily (Although the thermostat may help)
2. Running the radiator fan unnecessarily might shorten its life
3. Also you are wasting some power through running the radiator fan when it's not needed
4. If some of the electrics controlling the radiator fan were to fail so that it didn't run when hot, turning on the A/C could be a good idea because it will probably make the radiator fan run.

It is undoubtedly been done that way to stop hot air from aircon radiator being blown back through engine radiator in warmer weather and causing problems.  I have never had a radiator fan fail on a Honda(or anything else really). 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything