Author Topic: Climate change.  (Read 18439 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Climate change.
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »
We will go the same way as the dinosaurs (they went in a matter of days).
Days? How do you know that? Ah, you are old enough to have been there!  ;D ;)

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »
Days? How do you know that? Ah, you are old enough to have been there!  ;D ;)
Watched this a couple of days ago: "The Day The Dinosaurs Died" https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08r3xhf
Fascinating programme. Worth a watch before it gets pulled.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2019, 03:55:59 PM »
The cyclone that has devastated the east coast of India is just a taster of what that region can expect in coming years. Cyclone Fani (pronounced Fawni - no sniggering at the back) was so severe they had to chain railway carriages to the track, to prevent them blowing away.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »
The latest research suggests that instead of a metre rise in sea level, by 2100, we could be looking at twice that, leading to increasingly devastating consequences.
As well as linking to the Brussels Broadcast Corporation I have also linked to the source data.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48337629
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/05/14/1817205116

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2019, 08:26:40 AM »
Philip Hammond has warned Theresa May that plans for Net Zero Emissions, by 2050, will cost the UK £1tn, according to a report in the Financial Times.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »
Philip Hammond has warned Theresa May that plans for Net Zero Emissions, by 2050, will cost the UK £1tn, according to a report in the Financial Times.

But what's the cost of ignoring climate change?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
But what's the cost of ignoring climate change?
Possibly the demise of Homo Sapiens.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
Forget climate change, humans will be wiped out by the smallest things on the planet, bacteria and viruses. We are stupid enough to have stopped using the quarantine system and allow people to travel all round the world in one or two days.  Add to that the massive movement of people from third world countries to the west and you have a perfect storm. Saw an article the other day about new super antibiotic resistant sexually transmitted bugs and how in UK alone we are seeing rocketing infections that cannot be treated with anything we have at present.  Humans think they are above nature and can control things,  big mistake.. World health organisation issued report today that says pandemics will be widespread in future....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2019, 03:09:13 PM »

I am a bit puzzled by this climate change thing.

The UK, as I understand it, accounts for 1% of global CO2 emissions (2015 figures).

Even if the UK doubled CO2 emissions, surely that is well within the realms of experimentally inaccuracy.

Halving it would make no measurable difference to the world. The UK taking it to zero will be economically paralysing to UK and still make not difference to the world.

Isn't the environmental (aesthetic and wild life) cost of wind farms (and so on) much more significant than our rather minimal potential contribution to global CO2 reduction efforts?

No doubt someone will explain?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »
I met my first climate change expert the other day. A physicist who works in the field. He said that Hammond's estimates of the costs were probably not far off the mark applied to the economy in the widest possible sense from individual households to businesses. The plus side was the multiplier effect, all this work will create new jobs, possibly to replace those in declining industries.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »

I am a bit puzzled by this climate change thing.

The UK, as I understand it, accounts for 1% of global CO2 emissions (2015 figures).

Even if the UK doubled CO2 emissions, surely that is well within the realms of experimentally inaccuracy.

Halving it would make no measurable difference to the world. The UK taking it to zero will be economically paralysing to UK and still make not difference to the world.

Isn't the environmental (aesthetic and wild life) cost of wind farms (and so on) much more significant than our rather minimal potential contribution to global CO2 reduction efforts?

No doubt someone will explain?

+1

Apparently climate change is now officially a religion, and in that case it gets special dispensation ( unlike Boris Johnson ) to claim anything without anyone being allowed to question it - and all the logic and facts in the world will have no effect... Sure climate change will make more jobs - they will need thousands of pump engineers in London alone once the rising water gets into underground train tunnels, and once the sewers flood the Thames will be like it used to be, a river of sewage.

Humans are the cause of pretty much all the planets problems,  many humans are greedy thoughtless people who do things on a whim without thinking it through, like foreign holidays that cause aircraft to pump all their pollutants into the upper atmosphere - where they do most harm.   Why be satisfied with enough when you can have everything ?  The main thing most people want to do as their standard of living increases is take foreign holidays to impress their friends and neighbours.  The new fad to go on cruises is also causing extra pollution, as next to aircraft ships are also a major polluter.

quote from an article on pollution..

A special characteristic of aircraft emissions is that most of them are produced at cruising altitudes high in the atmosphere. Scientific studies have shown that these high-altitude emissions have a more harmful climate impact because they trigger a series of chemical reactions and atmospheric effects that have a net warming effect. The IPCC, for example, has estimated that the climate impact of aircraft is two to four times greater than the effect of their carbon dioxide emissions alone.

The scary thing is that aircraft emissions in Co2 alone contribute up to 8% of global Co2, multiply that by the average of above figures ( 3x) and you get 24%,  aviation is expanding rapidly and experts say and that figure could double by 2050.  There also seem to be more and more people going on cruises, and ships are another major polluter.

When 1400 private jet flights took place ferrying delegates to Davos world economic forum where a major topic was climate change,  it seems very much a case of 'do what we say not what we do' - you will probably find the same at every climate change summit or conference that has taken place so far, and some were further away in Japan and South America - madness.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:08:27 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2019, 05:52:28 PM »
We're all doomed. Best bet would to start building an Ark. Nothing else will save mankind.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
We're all doomed. Best bet would to start building an Ark. Nothing else will save mankind.

We're going to need a bigger ark.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2019, 02:19:07 PM »

Humans are the cause of pretty much all the planets problems,  many humans are greedy thoughtless people who do things on a whim without thinking it through, like foreign holidays that cause aircraft to pump all their pollutants into the upper atmosphere - where they do most harm.   Why be satisfied with enough when you can have everything ? 
Spot on.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
Until Climate Change starts to hit the rich nothing will be done about it. Unfortunately, like with everything else they will be the last to suffer. As Bangladesh sinks below rising seas the rich Bangladeshis will move to higher ground. The same in Europe and the US. When water hit £10 a litre the rich will still afford it, as they will at £100/litre. And they will happily fly it in from wherever it is available. It will take the poor, displaced and thirsty, rising up and imposing their order before things really start to change.

Tags:

anything