Author Topic: Replacing door mirror housing  (Read 4138 times)

guest5792

Replacing door mirror housing
« on: December 03, 2015, 12:48:14 PM »
Afternoon all

Is it possible to replace the door mirror housing without taking the whole unit off the door?

The housing is cracked on my drivers side door mirror, and would like a new one but it seems a bit of a chew on to take door card and everything out to be able to do it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Replacing door mirror housing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
Long time since I did it, but in a '94 Civic you levered the mirror glass off (while worrying), which gave you access to the screws holding the two piece shell together.

Unfortunatley the one piece shell of a Jazz mirror probably means door card off etc. then you can disassemble it.
Might be worth unclipping the mirror first just so you can see what's going on, as it will need to come off anyway.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00J34300044021KBAT00.HTML
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00J34300044051KBAT00.HTML

-
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5797

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »
Hi I managed to break the my power mirror just after getting my 2005 Jazz SE, and I'm considering taking it apart to fix it, since finding a replacement in the same colour is proving a bit difficult.  I broke the flat inside top of the stand tube - the bit that lies horizontally under and is connected to the rotating mirror part by three bolts, and which has a hole for the cable to go through.  The mirror crunched into a wheely bin when I was reversing and the part snapped in a triangle around the bolts, leaving the mirror itself dangling off the stand tube.

I've had a look at the diagrams posted below, as well as a diagram on partsbase, neither of which show the piece I'm talking about (since it's normally hidden), but I know the housing, the electrics and the turning mechanism are all good because I used hot gun glue as a temporary fix and everything worked.  I think I can attach it back together again so long as I can get at it from the other side, which means dismantling the door etc., although I might try unclipping the mirror first, to see if that gives me enough access to manipulate a gluing putty like sugru to do the same job as the glue but longer-lasting.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »
finding a replacement in the same colour is proving a bit difficult.
Partsbase - excellent site for diagrams. Although the housing does not include the turret in the outline, because is colour coded I would expect it to be included within the housing part code, although £100 seems too rich.
What colour do you need as there is a place near me that normally has a couple of Jazz in for breaking, (u-pull-it, York. complete elec mirror assy £17+v) although none with indicator mirrors at present.
Sounds like your mirror could benefit from 2-part epoxy glue or filler in the turret, certainly more strength than hot glue, and Sugru can be picky about certain shiny surfaces.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags:

anything