Author Topic: Hesitation soon after start up.  (Read 1003 times)

Adrian Moffat

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Honda Jazz SE Sport
Hesitation soon after start up.
« on: July 01, 2021, 11:11:44 PM »
Hi, my rather old 2002 Honda Jazz SE Sport has developed hesitation, or loss of power soon after start up. (hot or cold) It starts fine but soon after moving off, there is a moment of no acceleration. I have found depressing the clutch and blipping the throttle a bit brings it back to life. With the windows open, I'd say it smells a bit "fuelly"..like running rich, but my MPG seems good. When pulling out into traffic right after start up, I find I'm having to raise the revs a bit so it doesn't die right in the flow of traffic. This phenomenon seems more prevalent after reversing. Not sure if the temporary lack of power is due to lack of..or too much fuel. Leaving the engine to idle for a minute or so makes the problem less obvious. Happy to hear any clues.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Hesitation soon after start up.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 08:30:21 AM »
If you have high mileage and the plugs and air filter are OK I would suspect the fuel filter. I think they're scheduled to be replaced at 75k miles. I get the impression people usually don't bother as generally last a lot longer and it is an awkward job. It's buried under the centre console.
There's plenty of background information here http://www.hondafitjazz.com/engine_fuel_and_emissions.html if you want to have a go yourself.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 09:25:50 AM »
I'd be giving the MAF a clean too.  https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6522.0

What sort of use does your Jazz get? If it is just pottering about, a decent run and use of some revs would help no end.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:31:58 AM »
The rear spark plugs on MK1 iDSi engine never get changed,  most people ( even garages ) do not even know they are there.  When the gaps in rear plugs gets too large it stresses the ignition coils insulation and coils fail.  Plenty of info on the forum about replacing rear plugs.  Another common thing is EGR valve sticking open, which is only meant to open >3000 RPM - a sticking EGR plays havoc with fueling,  it is like having a leak in the induction manifold, plenty of info on EGR on forum.  The fuel filter in tank is a large one and unlikely ( with the high quality of modern fuel ) to get blocked.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 08:19:34 AM »
Quite right, plugs and EGR are more likely.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:44:18 PM »
Totally agree with suspect the spark plugs first. Sounds typical of them and I find I have to clean mine every year to keep engine in a1 condition.

Tags: