Author Topic: Wing mirror - colour of connector  (Read 2421 times)

ADW

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE 2006
Wing mirror - colour of connector
« on: August 28, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »
Hello
I'm new to this forum, apologies if this subject had been covered before, I did search for topics including wing mirrors but didn't find the answer.
I have a 2006 Jazz SE. The right hand wing mirror has been bumped by someone whilst out and about, and is currently held in place with strong tape. The electric cable is still intact.
It is heated, and folds in at the touch of a button inside the car.
The price of a genuine Honda replacement seems a lot to me - nearly £300 + fitting on top, and I have been looking for a duplicate from the various online suppliers. Their listings give the option of 2 different coloured connectors at the end of the electric cable - white or grey, and I have no idea which to choose.
Short of paying the garage to take the inside of the car apart to locate the connector, can anyone advise me as to which is the right colour?
Many thanks

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Wing mirror - colour of connector
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 01:56:15 PM »
When this happened to my Mk2 I was able to get a Honda replacement from an on-line car dismantler for £90. Don't recall any issues about connector colour.

ADW

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »
Thank you. I've contacted car breakers and suppliers of new duplicates and both have raised the same point.

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
I replaced my mirror this year & had to change the connector. It is an easy job, just need a soldering iron & heathshrink tube. I have pasted my post about it below.

A couple of points to be aware of if any else has to do this.
 It is not possible to replace just the cap due to the cable passing through it. You may drop the nuts when removing the mirror (I dropped all three) they will fall into a seam. To gain access you will need to remove the speaker. This is clipped at the top, then lifts upwards to release the tabs at the bottom. I broke all three fixing findind out.
 The replacement mirror (second hand off ebay) had a different type of connector, although the cable colours were the same. You will need to chop the connectors off both & solder & heatshrink the correct connector onto the replacement mirror. Match the colours. There are two gray conductors on both, I don't know if these are interchangeable or I just got lucky when I soldered them, but it all works as it should.
 When refitting, make sure to route the cable around the window guide or it will prevent the glass from fully lowering. All done within two hours.

ADW

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »
Thanks, but I have no skills or equipment for this sort of work!
Hopefully there will be someone out there who can assist with my query...

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 02:56:37 PM »
I did this twice on our old GD sport. Once when someone deliberately broke our passenger mirror and the other recently when a car bumped into it.

So basically as RayS says, it doesn't really matter which connector you go for providing you are happy to cut and reconnect the old connector yourself (or your garage is happy to do for you). You simply need to cut off the new connector and solder on the one from your broken mirror. This is what I did for the passenger side.

With our drivers side mirror, I figured that it would be fixed. The mirror was dangling from the stem and the internal parts were completely smashed, but rather than replacing the mirror, I took the whole thing apart and used resin to glue the smashed internal parts together, then reinforced it with fibre glass compound. Then repainted the whole thing. Works perfectly and you wouldn't know it was ever broken. So if yours has broke in the same way, you could probably do the same.

Tags: