Author Topic: Polish for New Jazz  (Read 4064 times)

SamJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Polish for New Jazz
« on: December 13, 2018, 11:04:37 PM »
What polish do Jazz owners use for their cars.

I'm buying a new Jazz which is finished in white, so I need a decent polish to protect the paintwork.

I don't mind applying it myself providing it's reasonably easy to do and not needing any special polishing machinery etc. What would also be useful to know is how frequent any suggestions may need to be applied.

I guess I will also require something to help protect the interior upholstery too, so any suggestions for this other than seat covers as I don't want to use them.

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:09:27 PM by SamJazz »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Polish for New Jazz
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »
This works for me, long lasting, easy to apply, and can be used as a rinse aid if a top up is required. Gives a silky Matt finish on plastic, and can be used on glass (except windscreens).Widely available, ASDA, WILCO etc £8 at WILCO.

https://www.tetrosyl.com/brands/no1-supergloss/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:32:49 AM by Skyrider »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
In the long run it may be better to get a proper protective coating like diamondBrite applied professionally, we had our Civic and Jazz done and 5 years + later they still look as though they have been just cleaned after a bit of rain ( which is just as well as I never clean them). IMHO life is too short to polish cars,  I will do the plastic headlight covers every month or so with auto glym super resin polish to stop them going yellow and hazy,  it is working well so far they still look like new.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 01:55:43 PM »
Your preference on the many car products, I stick to Autoglym products you can search around for a car cleaning kit for new cars on E Bay or Amazon abt £20.00 . Even better value find a neighbour with anew car they often have the left over kit supplied by the dealership in their boot.
The key is to have a clean vehicle to start then apply initial polish then the final polish  - Extra Gloss Protection - out of direct sun and I've found better results if you leaving wiping off the EGP to the following day.
It seems to last over 12 months, and is straightforward to apply

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 03:59:00 PM »
One product I'd throw into the mix is Autoglym Aqua Wax. You wash and rinse your car as normal but, instead of drying, spray 2 or 3 squirts per panel on to the wet car. You then spread (and partially dry) with one cloth and buff with another. It spreads a thin layer of Carnuba wax on to the car and it beads up well afterwards so protection is definitely being applied.

Really easy to do.

SamJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
Thank you all so much for your replies, plenty of reading up to do on the products recommended.

Does a new Jazz come with any polish already applied the the bodywork before it leaves the factory ?

Just wondering if it's best to apply additional protection soon after getting the car before the hard winter gets a grip.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:59:01 PM »
This works for me, long lasting, easy to apply, and can be used as a rinse aid if a top up is required. Gives a silky Matt finish on plastic, and can be used on glass (except windscreens).Widely available, ASDA, WILCO etc £8 at WILCO.

https://www.tetrosyl.com/brands/no1-supergloss/

+1.....

After eight months. I've just done the second application, before winter. It wasn't really needed.
 Took me 3/4 hour. So easy, spray on, and spread out.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:01:23 PM by Dayjo »
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »
Thank you all so much for your replies, plenty of reading up to do on the products recommended.

Does a new Jazz come with any polish already applied the the bodywork before it leaves the factory ?

Just wondering if it's best to apply additional protection soon after getting the car before the hard winter gets a grip.

Most dealers normally offer a coating on fairly new cars they sell ( for around £300 ),  both for the paintwork and the seats (some kind of nano-coating like diamondbrite and maybe 3M Teflon or similar for upholstery ).  As I said the dealer applied diamondbrite has lasted at least 5 years on our cars and still working,  that works out at around £60 a year for the Jazz ( although on the Civic the dealer threw it in for free as part of the deal).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
I like this quote from Culzean: "IMHO life is too short to polish cars,"  Enough said; as long as the bodywork keeps the rain out, I'm happy.  Sadly, it gets scratched whether or not it's washed and polished!

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »
i use meguiars ultimate liquid wax around £25 online, and its so easy to use, and gives an amazing shine... ignore all these dealer applied paint sealants, as theyre a rip off, im an ex car valeter and they typically cost £15 and the charge you £299!! :o also fabric protectors are a waste of money.......  just clean the seats if you ever need to with an interior shampoo, or a wet&dry vac....   and as for people who spend 20 grand on a new car, then never clean it, i just dont get it??  my jazz is 6 years old next month, and looks like new :-)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 08:28:35 PM »
i use meguiars ultimate liquid wax around £25 online, and its so easy to use, and gives an amazing shine... ignore all these dealer applied paint sealants, as theyre a rip off, im an ex car valeter and they typically cost £15 and the charge you £299!! :o also fabric protectors are a waste of money.......  just clean the seats if you ever need to with an interior shampoo, or a wet&dry vac....   and as for people who spend 20 grand on a new car, then never clean it, i just dont get it??  my jazz is 6 years old next month, and looks like new :-)
My car is three years old next month and because it's orange the lack of cleaning means it looks pretty much like new but slightly dull. The good news is that when I come to sell it the layer of dirt will have protected the paintwork from UVR and it should come up a treat :P.

It does (or did) get a wash when it was serviced so I know the great colour is still under there. The next service(s) will be at an independent garage though so no more washes :)

As for why I don't clean it it's because whilst the orange does a pretty good job of hiding the dirt it does go from 'stunning orange' to 'ho hum orange' pretty quickly. If I wanted to keep it looking stunning I'd have to wash it once a week and life is just too short. Maybe when I retire  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 08:31:31 PM by andruec »

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
Re: Paint protection for new Jazz - glass cleaning
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
Bought a 65 plate (2016) Jazz S in August. had diamondBrite applied and upholstery protector. DiamondBrite certainly works on the paint work but my god what a nightmare on all the glass! Every window is streaked with what look like water stains. However after using CeriumOxide the screen and side windows are now pretty clear. Also it helps to get rid of any glass scratches - slight mark from stone trapped on front drivers blade made a slight mark. I have been able to reduce this - a bit - as it is not any depth. As soon as it is better weather I will be able to give it a really good go.

Has anyone used any of the windscreen chip repair kits on Ebay as i have just got a very very small mark when a gritter went past. So small you can rarely see the mark. Don't fancy paying for an Autoglass repair for such a small 'mark'.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 12:46:32 PM »
My car is three years old next month and because it's orange the lack of cleaning means it looks pretty much like new but slightly dull. The good news is that when I come to sell it the layer of dirt will have protected the paintwork from UVR and it should come up a treat :P.

It does (or did) get a wash when it was serviced so I know the great colour is still under there. The next service(s) will be at an independent garage though so no more washes :)

As for why I don't clean it it's because whilst the orange does a pretty good job of hiding the dirt it does go from 'stunning orange' to 'ho hum orange' pretty quickly. If I wanted to keep it looking stunning I'd have to wash it once a week and life is just too short. Maybe when I retire  ;D

I've often wondered what a car looks like after a year's driving and with no cleaning whatsoever. Don't you need to at least clean the windows and number plates? And the alloy wheels, presumably, get completely coated in baked on brake dust that won't come off.

Saying that, an old acquaintance of mine had a blue Vauxhall Astra - probably a Mk1 if memory serves - he called it the flying ashtray - his theory was it was a bit like not washing your hair - after a while it ceased to get any dirtier. His had become a sort of matt blue and the wheels didn't matter because they were steel and the wheel trims had long gone. He occasionally wiped the windows and admits he was once stopped by the police because they couldn't read his number plate.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 02:30:42 PM »
I've often wondered what a car looks like after a year's driving and with no cleaning whatsoever. Don't you need to at least clean the windows and number plates?
The wipers keep the front and rear screens clear just fine, you can't even see the shape of the swept area on the front unless you look close though it's a lot more obvious on the rear. Number plates are still plenty readable. I do wipe the lights occasionally.
And the alloy wheels, presumably, get completely coated in baked on brake dust that won't come off.
Dunno. It comes off at the service, I've never tried myself.

The thing is my car is only ever driven on paved roads. The only dirt it can pick up is dust. Even though I live in a small town there's very little opportunity for mud or anything particularly problematic.

I do know it looks gorgeous when washed but the thing is it looks fine when dirty. So I just can't be bothered :)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 02:41:15 PM »
I am a bit OCD on things like this - you should see our gas hob - you could use it as a mirror.

I'm trying to go down to one wash a month. There's no point in washing a car more often when you only do 3,000 miles per annum. It's also tinted silver so the same colour as road dirt!

Tags:

anything