Author Topic: Dashcam Recommendations  (Read 16636 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Dashcam Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 02:43:00 PM »
I fitted my dash cam to the side of the sensor housing, most of the cam is hidden by the blackout coating on the windscreen. Important that the location of the Camera is swept by the windscreen wipers.

I have done the same with my Nextbase 312GW, the only problem I had is that the suction cup would not stay on the blackout coating next to the cover that hides the sensors, I solved that by sticking a satnav holder disc to the area so the dashcam could be mounted.

On the Civic the camera is mounted in the nearside by the mirror so it is just below the blackout area and in the top of the passenger wiper sweep area, the screen cannot be seen from the drivers seat as it is hidden by the mirror.

The 512GW comes with a reflection filter built in, Nextbase now do a separate filter that fits cameras that do not have one, £20 from Halfords but I got one for £12 on Ebay, well worth it as it does cut out any refection.

Thanks for the suggestions it looks like a sticky mount is the way to go. I failed to find a good spot for the suction cup

See attached PDF,  the way the 8th Gen Civic wipers work means that there is nowhere suitable on the passenger side of the mirror and not much on the driver side,  but I managed to find a spot for the adhesive mount that was legal  (cannot be within the vertical limit of the steering wheel or protrude more than 40mm into zone swept by wiper blades).  I can just swing the mirror out of the way if need to access screen,  but don't o that very often in the car,  normally take cam out and plug it into computer.   The connections between camera and mount are via a magnetic click-in gizmo,  so very easy to remove camera from mount without tugging at the mount.  The camera records a high ( 7Mp ) resolution and a much smaller low resolution file at the same time, the smaller file is good to quickly download via wi-fi and send over internet etc. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:10:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 03:55:07 PM »
From what I see there is a new "Nextbase DUO HD" out now Jocko.
I see that. At initial enquiry, Amazon did not offer that one, only the 720p. But now, 8 hours later, it has added it to the Nextbase list.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »
I have twice tried to use the Halfords adhesive satnav holder disc, on the blacked out area.

It seems fine until we come to a day with hot sun on the screen, whereupon it falls off???
Anyone know of a better adhesive quality disc ?

I'm currently using the normal suction cup a couple of inches to the left of the blacked out area, passenger side, still obscured from my view by the mirror.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
I found best video software for viewing just the video ( no speed or anything else shown) is VLC media player (free software).
I use Windows Movie Maker. It allows me to link the segments into a seamless video, and displays the speed and GPS position along the bottom.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
It seems fine until we come to a day with hot sun on the screen, whereupon it falls off???
Anyone know of a better adhesive quality disc ?

That's weird, mine has been on for months now and has not come off yet, when parked on my drive the screen is in full sunlight for most of the day and in the present heatwave it appears to be more firmly fixed in fact I cannot prise it off, I do remove the actual camera as it gets almost too hot to touch if left in for any length of time at the moment, I got a couple of discs on Ebay one for the satnav as well and they have stuck on without any signs of coming off.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 11:08:38 PM »
Try fitting one to a 8 gen Civic, the way the wipers work is they both park in centre of screen and pivot from each end of screen.  This works well as screenwipers but leaves an unswept V in the centre behind the rear view mirror right where dashcam needs to sit (where the bits sit on mk3 Jazz).

My old Ford Galaxy was the same, I mounted the cam adjacent to the left windscreen pillar, just at the lowest point of the swept area.

Another vote for Nextbase cams too.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
Wow, loads of useful information. Thanks everyone. Will take a look at the Nextbase Duo new model. Whichever, looks like Nextbase is the brand to go with.

Thanks again.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »
Wow, loads of useful information. Thanks everyone. Will take a look at the Nextbase Duo new model. Whichever, looks like Nextbase is the brand to go with.

Thanks again.

I would still do some internet research as Nextbase duo not making everyone happy, and it is quite a large camera to mount.   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-NBDVRDUOHD-Digital-Driving-Recorder/product-reviews/B075WM24GV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_1?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1

The new Nextbase 612GW offers 4K UHD recording,  but at a price....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »
That is the camera I would go for if replacing the one I have. Personally I don't feel the need for a rear mounted camera. If someone runs up your backend the front facing camera will record the impact. Unless they reverse off and disappear you shouldn't have a problem. In the event of a multi vehicle shunt, your forward facing camera will show whether you hit the car in front, then were shunted, or if you were shunted before hitting the vehicle in front.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »

Personally I could not warrant paying that much for one but then that is my choice, when I got mine I considered the 512GW which was £139 before going for the 312GW which Halfrauds had on offer for £79 at the time, reading the reviews which were all good I decided that the cheaper one was value for money and did all I wanted, with the money saved I bought a genuine Nextbase hardwire kit which was another £11 on ebay, so I am quite happy with the 312GW.

I would certainly recommend a Nextbase to anyone, picture quality is excellent and I particularly like the ease the camera can be removed without disturbing the mount and wiring.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:49:48 PM by Hobo »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 08:23:35 PM »
Whatever dashcam you choose - £100+ Nextbase or £20 off ebay - it's worth getting a decent quality (micro) SD card by the likes of ScanDisk or Samsung.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
While on the subject of dashcams, I replaced the original 12v plug-USB cable that came with the dashcam with a USB-mini USB 4m cable and a twin 12V-USB socket so I can charge my phone and use the dashcam at the same time. The cable is slightly thicker than the original lead so it took a bit more effort to tuck it behind the A pillar.

Cost me about a tenner in total a few months back at my local Maplin store's closing down sale. I'm no electrical engineer but the cable appears of be of superior quality to the original one. (Original RRP for cable alone I think was about £15.)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 08:19:13 AM »
I looked at those a while back and they do seem to have good reviews.  I decided to wait until I change my car and will then proabaly get Halfords to fit it for me (£30.00).

I see now there is one with a rear facing camera for another £10 (Nextbase DUO HD Dash Cam).  I would be interested on any feedback on that one too.
I eventually got round to getting one fitted 4 weeks ago.  I ended up getting a Nextbase GW522 with a 128GB card and added a rear window camera.

I'm really pleased with the picture quality and general functionality but don't bother with the Emergency Response or Alexa.

However it all went bad last week when the screen saver started going off mid journey and it started taking random photos.  I also found that an area of the touch screen was unresponsive.

Took it back to Halfords and they replaced it with a new one without question.  They pointed out that it had gone down in price by £30 and also refunded that :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2019, 10:11:05 AM »
Just thought I would add something else to this excellent thread.

If you want a dash cam, but don't think you can afford/justify the cost, you can make a surprisingly good one out of an old android smartphone, a power cable and screen mount (both a few quid off eBay) and a free app from play store.

These cams really are an essential piece of kit these days, insurance companies rarely want to fight liability without twisting their arm. It gives you something to put on YouTube too  ;)

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Hi

I thought I would also let you know if you didn’t already - I didn’t until yesterday sorry

If you want a heads up display of speed (derived from satellite) and using nextbase - you can set next base to display speed whilst still recording - so instead of displaying the cameras - it just displays speed at about eye level - depending where you have installed the dash cam. To see the cameras you click mode and it switches to cameras for about 10 seconds then back to speed display

I inadvertently turned this on at services and had to stop to turn it off which is how I found out about it

Many thanks

John

Tags: