Author Topic: Q - Purpose the plastic behind the blind gearbox bearing serve's?  (Read 1212 times)

guest7581

Does anyone know what the purpose of the plastic insert behind the gearbox blind bearings serve? I melted one getting the bearing out... and wanted to know if it's necessary to re-install.

Picture attached is the one that is not melted.

TIA,

Ken

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Q - Purpose the plastic behind the blind gearbox bearing serve's?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »
Hi Ken,

I see the picture now. Those are oil guide plates, you need to replace these as you found them.

You may (or may not) also find thrust shims in there too, check carefully and replace them when reassembling.

I've not been on since yesterday, just picked up your messages and replied.  ;)

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
Hi Ken,

I see the picture now. Those are oil guide plates, you need to replace these as you found them.

You may (or may not) also find thrust shims in there too, check carefully and replace them when reassembling.

I've not been on since yesterday, just picked up your messages and replied.  ;)
No worries... how does the oil guide plate work? Can't seem to find a video explaining the concept...

Ken

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 04:54:31 PM »
Most probably an engineering grade plastic to take end thrust of the shaft (helical cut gears generate an axial thrust on the shaft when they mesh and parallel roller bearings will not resist this thrust).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:12:48 PM »
As the name suggests, I believe the plastic things just direct the oil wash back into the hollow shaft and out onto the bearing surface again.

Tags:

anything