Author Topic: Tailgate pull-down strap  (Read 2343 times)

Gonzo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE Sport
Tailgate pull-down strap
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »
Hi all,

My Mum has a 2011 Jazz and is finding the tailgate increasingly out of reach as she gets less supple.

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket strap that could easily be fitted to help her close the tailgate? Or maybe some sort of damper or tailgate travel restrictor? Unfortunately, the car is in Leeds and I am in Essex so I can't get a good look at it to see what could be fitted or sourced.

Thanks in advance....

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Tailgate pull-down strap
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
Hi all,

My Mum has a 2011 Jazz and is finding the tailgate increasingly out of reach as she gets less supple.

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket strap that could easily be fitted to help her close the tailgate? Or maybe some sort of damper or tailgate travel restrictor? Unfortunately, the car is in Leeds and I am in Essex so I can't get a good look at it to see what could be fitted or sourced.

Thanks in advance....

Problem with a strap may be that it may hang down and get trapped as the tailgate closes,  maybe restricting the opening is a better option (but make sure edge of tailgate is above head height as it is very painful when you walk into it).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:11:47 PM »
If she uses the boot mainly for shopping, perhaps she could raise the "Magic Seats" and put the bags in the rear footwells. I often used to do that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:20:39 PM by davegreen55 »

guest5715

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »
Sounds tricky to get a strap right, as the plastic panel may not be strong enough. Perhaps a simple hook to pull down the tailgate far enough to then so it by hand.

Gonzo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE Sport
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Good call re using the back seat area. I'll suggest this.

I was wondering if the plastic panel could be removed and something attached to the tailgate structure itself, with a discreet hole in the panel?

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:04:57 AM »
Hi gonzo

I could be wrong but on our jazz, the hand part to hold for shutting the boot is remove-able without removing the entire plastic panel. Infact, you need to remove this in order to remove the plastic panel

Many thanks

John

guest5079

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:32 AM »
You are correct. The lower part of the hand hold is removable and needs to be removed to remove the whole panel.
A word of warning, IF you remove the whole panel be very careful as it is easy to break the places where the clips are mounted in the moulding. If you want to remove the whole plastic cover I would strongly suggest referring to the on line manual that explains where to start.
The clowns that repaired our Jazz prior to purchase did not do so and so it is impossible to affix two of the important clips. At somewhere in the region of  £140 for a new lining it is worth taking a bit of care.

Tags: