Author Topic: I'm outta here :)  (Read 7764 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: I'm outta here :)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 10:54:52 PM »
I find the iMMD concept attractive.
Yes - the concept of a petrol-powered car with no variable gearing of any kind is intriguing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:34:48 AM by Downsizer »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 10:23:06 AM »
It will be interesting to see the real life mpg in the hands of normal drivers. The hybrid versions of the C-HR and RAV4 manages about 80% of Toyota's numbers
Whilst I still have my 2005 Jazz (son's girlfriend is using it now) my main car is a 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. I never pay too much attention to the published MPG figures, but I did notice the overall MPG of the test drive car was 44.5mpg. I asked about the car and it belonged to the Service Manager at the dealership who commuted in it from somewhere in Derbyshire to Huddersfield.

The actual car I bought was a 12 month old Toyota pool car with a similar overall MPG. Looking at the Sat Nav history, it seems it spent its 12,000 mile life on a small number of motorway journeys going from Toyota HQ to various distant dealerships.

Going purely off the car's own readings, I get around 35mpg pootling around my exceptionally hilly town, but closer to 45mpg when doing legal motorway speeds heading off to North Yorkshire to visit the Mother in Law. I have achieved well over 50mpg when really trying on long A Road and motorway style trips.

However, if you feel the need and decide to engage sport mode and floor it away from the lights, when both electric motors kick in alongside the 2.5l petrol engine, it is perfectly possible to achieve consumption in the low teens!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »
it is perfectly possible to achieve consumption in the low teens!
Reminds me of my Triumph 2.5 PI. When I sold it I told the guy that I had to be honest and I had achieved 16 mpg with it. He said, "Yes, they can be heavy on fuel". I didn't tell him that 16 mpg was the best I had ever achieved, and that 8 mpg was my usual figure (Injectors were well shot and in need of replacing). I used to swap the spark plugs every day (luckily I had access to a bead blaster to clean them!).

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
My 1998 Mark 1 CRV 2.0l petrol used to average 23mpg. Being a company car, I had to put up with that for three years. It was a really nice, spacious car but shockingly thirsty.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 10:53:24 AM »
I worked with a guy who had a Mazda RX-8 and I asked him the fuel consumption  he said 'about 18mpg',  I said 'what about on a good day',, he just laughed and said 'that was a good day'....

( are we wandering off topic again - I do hope so ! )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »
I find the iMMD concept attractive.
Yes - the concept of a petrol-powered car with no variable gearing of any kind is intriguing.

That is the way Diesel-Electric trains work,  and the newest Royal Navy aircraft carriers ( they decided on Diesel electric with 10,000 mile max range rather than nuclear with 5 million miles range ( like the USA carriers) on basis of cost - talk about spoiling the ship for 1/2d worth of tar ).

The Train engines have to rev their nuts off to pull away under load,  the electric traction motor has maximum torque at standstill but also requires maximum power, will make CVT look civilised though..
( although Accord does have battery to help pull away)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:02:40 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »
Some people say that Honda do not have a marketing department - the engineers design and build things and then tell the dealers to sell them....

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
Some people say that Honda do not have a marketing department - the engineers design and build things and then tell the dealers to sell them....
What a good idea.  Engineers should run the country as well!

I've been looking more closely at the iMMD system, as I assume it will find its way into the next generation Jazz.  In the CR-V it combines a large engine (1993cc) with a small battery (1 kWh - only enough for a mile or two).  The engine must spent most of its time generating electricity in Atkinson mode, but engaging direct drive to the wheels at higher speeds through its one and only gear.  It is elegant engineering, but I'm puzzled about the fuel economy.  Andruec quotes 40.9 mpg which is the new WLTP figure shown in the brochure; however, Honest John, who seems very impressed by the car, quotes a WLTP figure of 51 mpg, and a road test figure of 53 mpg.  There may be some confusion between the old and new systems.  The official 1.3 SE cvt Jazz consumption has fallen from around 57mpg to 48mpg as a result of the change.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:31:09 AM by Downsizer »

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/toyota/toyota-corolla-review-worlds-popular-car-back/

A review of new Corolla ( back on topic - whoopee ).
That's the model and colour I have gone for. Gorgeous, ain't she?

it's a bit worrying to read about the software problems though. I seem to remember that being case with another new car I bought :(

My test drive (which lasted nearly an hour) led me to conclude that it was quite a bit quieter than a Jazz, a lot better over bumps (but I do have the low-ish profile tyres on the Jazz) and has quite a bit more poke. It has the same slightly sluggish power pick up that the Jazz has but as a seasoned CVT operator I know to just use a bit of anticipation.

I can't really conclude much about fuel consumption but the demo car was actually a daily driver used by one of the sales staff. When I got in it was saying 51mpg and when I got out 54mpg. For a demo car being driven around by a salesman I'd say that's pretty good. I also wasn't familiar with the roads we drove on so getting 54mpg when I didn't know what was around the next bend is pretty good.

<another rant against motoring journalists>
"Performance isn't too bad, but you find your foot is buried to the floor for much of the time and you need a huge run-up to complete an overtake. "

Um..it's a hybrid and a small family car. Its 0-60 is a tad under 11 seconds. The Jazz 1.3 CVT is a tad over 12 seconds. I've never needed a huge run up to complete an overtake and I don't often have to bury my foot to the floor either (but so what if I do - that's why the pedal moves that far).

And..why in deity's name is his foot buried to the floor 'much of the time'? Was he testing it on a race track? I overtake once or twice a month at most. The rest of the time it isn't worth the risk.
</another rant against motoring journalists>
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:28:38 PM by andruec »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
<another rant against motoring journalists>
I agree with you. ;D They rarely represent the average person who wants a hassle-free journey and has to pay for their own fuel.

I've found the Honest John long term tests to be more representative of the real world but by their nature they take some months to emerge.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 11:57:00 AM »
I've just returned from New Zealand where the holiday included a week of driving a rental Toyota Corolla. It was registered in January 2019, had 3101km on the clock when I started and 4882km when I gave it back. It drove very nicely, as it should with a 2 litre engine https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/corolla/corolla-hatch-gx-petrol/?skuCode=COROLLA-MZGX-NM1-040-20#specifications - almost a challenge to keep within the speed limits (any trangression in this respect resulted in a female voice commanding "please obey all traffic regulations"). I managed 54 mpg of mainly out-of-town cruising albeit with a good proportion of hills and bends. The sat-nav annoyed me as it was one of those which uses road name in preference to any road number (which is what is used on signs).

But the real problem was the boot space which the specs say is 208 litres. Half our baggage had to travel on the back seat (having fastened the seat belts to stop a continuous alarm). Why such a small boot? You can see from the attached photo that the boot floor sits on lumps of foam which hold the tools while there's a big gap above the spare wheel. I note that the UK Corolla claims a significantly larger boot capacity. Is there room for a spare wheel or did they put any tools in the spare wheel well. For a vehicle that's as long as my HR-V the internal space was disappointing.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Twd99

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »
I am an owner of both brands. I had a new RAV4  in 2000 and only given it away 2 years ago at a very good mechanical conditions.
I had two yaris, now a Verso and hybrid Auris in the family.

Honda is my first purchase and dealer customer service is good so far.

I got rid of my Yaris due to poor Toyota  customer service. Both dealer and the manufacturer. Can't trust them!

In terms of reliability, Toyota are good to date with my experience, only if they built in Japan thought. My RAV 4 and Yaris Japanese built was fault free during my ownership. They both covered more than 120k miles. For non Japanese built like the Verso it is terrible. The Auris has small niggles.....the CVT is making cluncky noise sometimes...

Twd99

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
Forgot to mention that the Honda Jazz body paint is much thinner than Toyota...

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:06 PM »
Well I finally got to touch my new Toyota today but can't actually drive it away until Monday. I agree that the boot is a bit small for the vehicle but it's large enough for me. The car itself looks gorgeous - a lovely Dark Red. So far I'm not impressed with the ordering process (it was built to order but the dealer had no clue when it would arrive).

Time will tell for the rest though :)

Tags: