Author Topic: Binding OSF Caliper  (Read 1704 times)

Lewo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Binding OSF Caliper
« on: March 27, 2019, 05:56:53 AM »
Thought I could feel that brakes were binding a bit so checked the wheels and it's the OSF that is.
Was going to book car into garage anyway to hsve the brakes cleaned and checked but if the caliper, discs and pads need changing, what pattern parts are ok quality to fit?
Will have a look around including ECP but thought I'd ask the experts for some guidance first!
Thanks in advance.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Binding OSF Caliper
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 06:04:56 AM »
For a Mk 1 like mine I would just use what ECP supplies.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:28:18 AM »
Pattern parts are ok unless you want to pay for 'Honda' prices, I have used pattern parts on brakes and had no problems, in fact all my brake parts are now aftermarket parts just the front discs and pads are Honda currently.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 01:48:11 PM »
After seeing 2 sets of Honda OEM rear discs rust away in 4 years on my wife's MK2 I fitted eicher discs and brembo pads from ECP. About half the price of Honda parts and look OK at the moment, rear brakes do nothing anyway except handbrake, she still has genuine Honda parts on front, the originals front discs lasted about 60,000 miles - I haven't a clue why the car needed new rear discs at 2 years old, and again about 2 years later, but the eicher discs are the third set on the car since new and seem at least as good and maybe even better than OEM.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lewo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:20:20 PM »
Thanks chaps, I've heard that Pagid are an ok make and just a bit more than some of the other pattern makes?

Jimster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 SE
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »
Pagid are ok. They're only sold through ECP so not always the most competitively priced, but they seem to have a good sale on at moment which makes them a pretty good buy.

There are plenty of other OE quality brands to choose from though if you shop around: textar (same people who make Pagid and Mintex), TRW, ate are all good.

If binding make sure you check and lube the slider pins and clean behind the shims on the caliper mounting bracket - two most common causes.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 10:27:13 AM »
Yes, unless you have a corroded piston that is jamming, all that is normally required to clear a binding brake is a strip, clean, and lubricate.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 10:56:04 AM »
Probably the major cause of calipers binding is the metal 'ears ( tabs)' on the pads metal backing plate ( one at each end of pad that fir into grooves in the caliper ) are corroded and have jammed in the grooves instead of sliding freely to allow caliper to centralise around the disc. With the pistons only pushing on the inner pad the the pad on that side  ( fixed side) needs to slide freely in its grooves as the pads wear, as does pad on the other side, as well the other side of the caliper needs to slide freely on the slide pins,  but corroded ears were always the problem I found - ( other than once a split rubber gaiter had allowed water into slide pin and one had rusted). If you remove the clip-in shims from the grooves and clean behind them and ears are still tight ( they do not push in easily and slide,  make sure you use hi-temp ceramic or molybdenum grease on the sliding surfaces)  you can file 0.5mm off the sliding faces of the pads ears to make sure they go in easily and will stay free for the life of the pads.

you can get ceramic brake grease from motor factors like Euro car parts, I use TRW PFG110 brake grease on slide pins as it is rubber friendly and wont destroy the rubber gaiters like a petroleum based grease will,  some pads come with a sachet of high temperature moly or graphite grease to use on pad ears and on back faces of pads as this is a much higher pressure area than the slide pins. 

Don't be tempted to put extra grease down the holes where the slide pins live,  they are blind holes and if too much grease gets in there you can get hydraulic lock where the pins are prevented from sliding properly,  just clean out any existing grease and a smear of PFG110 or ceratec or similar ceramic grease -  PFG is not expensive and I have used it for a long time without problems.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:16:17 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lewo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 12:46:56 AM »
I went for Brembo discs and pads in the end. Bought 240 discs for the garage to call and say they were too small so ECP thankfully swapped them over for the needed 258s!
The piston pushed back in easily enough they said but the calipers did need a clean as the OSF pads were sticking.
So I'm hoping it'll be all ok now but I'll keep my eye on them.
Thanks for the advice and I'll try and get some of that grease.

Tags: