Author Topic: Changing the clock.  (Read 3326 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Changing the clock.
« on: March 27, 2019, 06:58:14 AM »
Yesterday the European Parliament voted to abolish the twice yearly clock changing, which currently occurs on the last Sunday of March and October, across the EU.
It would appear, member states can opt for summer or winter time zone (UK could opt for GMT or DST), but would not then be able to change it.
I know there are a huge number in the south of the UK who think we should stick to DST all year round, but that would see huge areas of Scotland remaining dark until 10 am, during the winter.
Seemingly Russia changed to permanent Summer time fairly recently, but then changed clocks to permanent Winter time, after a barrage of complaints.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Changing the clock.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
I'd prefer to continue with changing the clocks twice a year. I remember there was a trial of continuing summer time through the winter when I was at school and I didn't like having to cycle to school in the dark as well as cycling home in the dark. If we discontinue summer time then it will be daylight at 3am in mid-summer and getting dark by 9pm. Unless we seasonally change our habits to make better use of daylight (isn't it also called energy-saving time?) then a lot of that daylight will be wasted. Changing the clocks is a way to get everyone out of bed earlier in the summer but they only notice it once a year instead of every day for 7 months.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

diffusion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »
I'm for staying with GMT and forget the changeover. Seems to me that GMT is more "natural" in terms of where the sun actually is and so should apply everywhere.

It's screwed up many computer setups where there's a conflict between bios and op.system, you have to go around all your items, and you find many public clocks still out weeks after.

I'm also into astronomy and having a relatively darker period earlier during summer would help newcomers and children in not having to stay up late. A few years ago there was an article in one of the Astro mags about some newbie MP in England who tried, as part of her initiate strategy, to introduce that change - again - and then someone informed her about a part of the U.K. called Scotland and its mainland and island parts being badly affected. She then withdrew.

I can't understand why they would want DST over Europe. Maybe it's my cynicism but could there be some anti-UK part in this?

jazzygirl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 07:43:49 PM »
I know this has been discussed before.... but please could someone post the steps to resetting the clock in car to summer time?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
I know this has been discussed before.... but please could someone post the steps to resetting the clock in car to summer time?
If yours is the same as mine. (Mk2)
Press "clock" for a few seconds.
Time display flashes.
Press "H" for hours once to advance one hour
Press "clock" to set.

If you have a Mk 3 someone else will need to help
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:41:44 PM by JimSh »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 10:26:05 PM »
From memory, I think you've asked this before in the Mk3 forum, from which I assume you have a Jazz with a touchscreen on the centre of the dash ? So, on that screen ...
Tap the Home button at top right (it's an array of 6 dots).
You're now looking for a "Settings" button. If it's not on the screen you're looking at, swipe left or right to see the other Android home screens.
Tap the Settings button, then "System".
You're now looking for something called "Daylight Saving" (or possibly just DST). You'll probably have to scroll down to find it.
Tap that, then select the DST setting to "On".
That will add one hour to the time shown on all clock displays.
Hope that helps.

guest4871

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 10:48:38 PM »
When I turn on the radio it automatically changes to the right time when it picks up the RDS signal. May take a few moments. No manual time change is necessary.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:12:57 AM »
When I turn on the radio it automatically changes to the right time when it picks up the RDS signal. May take a few moments. No manual time change is necessary.
Your profile suggests you have a 2014 car, which I think is probably a Mk2 ? The system on the Mk3 doesn’t adjust automatically even if you’ve set the system to do so (happy to be proved wrong if anyone’s managed to get it to work ?). Others have commented previously that the infotainment system on the Mk3 is poorly implemented and a backwards step in many respects.

guest7494

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 07:30:51 AM »
Your profile suggests you have a 2014 car, which I think is probably a Mk2 ? The system on the Mk3 doesn’t adjust automatically even if you’ve set the system to do so (happy to be proved wrong if anyone’s managed to get it to work ?). Others have commented previously that the infotainment system on the Mk3 is poorly implemented and a backwards step in many respects.

I agree it is many backward steps,
 after owning this car for 2 years I have yet to find a use for this screen other than sticking my Sat Nav to it.
utterly useless.

guest4871

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »

Yes, you are right.

I was responding to JimSh who also has a Mk 2 2014 car. but also has a more complicated way of changing the time.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 10:49:15 AM »

Yes, you are right.

I was responding to JimSh who also has a Mk 2 2014 car. but also has a more complicated way of changing the time.

Thanks. You live and learn. I'll try not touching it in October.

jazzygirl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
Thank you Colin!  I think it was the 'swipe left/right' that was key bit of info needed.  Yes I have MK 3 Jazz.  Only other use for screen is to select radio but then it annoyingly goes off with a twirling  H symbol.  I now have a cheap radio in car so can tune in quickly if missing some interesting item... how primitive is that!

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »
Thank you Colin!  I think it was the 'swipe left/right' that was key bit of info needed.  Yes I have MK 3 Jazz.  Only other use for screen is to select radio but then it annoyingly goes off with a twirling  H symbol.  I now have a cheap radio in car so can tune in quickly if missing some interesting item... how primitive is that!

No problem ! Y'know, after posting that, I had a look at the handbook. This says that selecting DST to "on" should set the system to change automatically ... I don't recall it ever doing that but come October I'll see what happens without touching it.

Regarding the circling H, that's usually a sign of the system resetting, which it shouldn't need to do. It might mean you need a software update to overcome whatever is causing the resetting. Maybe at the next service you should ask for an update (they won't do it unless you ask).

Tags: