Author Topic: BBC's sensitivity  (Read 1843 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
BBC's sensitivity
« on: March 19, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »
There was a report, on the BBC Red Button today, about how New Zealand's Prime Minister vows never to mention the Christchurch gunman's name, so as not to add to his notoriety. And then to complete the report the final paragraph gave his name and details. Wouldn't it have been more sensitive, given the crux of the report, to have left that out. Or is it just me?
Personally, I think most of the Red Button content is left to the office junior/intern to cut from the fuller reports, judging by the quality of very many of them. Like including Welsh items in the Scotland pages, and Glasgow items in the Edinburgh, Fife and East section!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: BBC's sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »
Like including Welsh items in the Scotland pages, and Glasgow items in the Edinburgh, Fife and East section!

Or flying the Welsh flag to celebrate St Patrick's Day.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
It does seem that a lot of people are easily offended these days and that may down to the way everyone has to tread on eggs these days when talking about anything.  Things need to be talked about and discussed and certain religions or subjects should not be excluded from this.  We do not have free speech any more, we have too many things that are taboo, and we have PC and positive discrimination as well. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »
It does seem that a lot of people are easily offended these days and that may down to the way everyone has to tread on eggs these days when talking about anything.  Things need to be talked about and discussed and certain religions or subjects should not be excluded from this.  We do not have free speech any more, we have too many things that are taboo, and we have PC and positive discrimination as well.
I agree but I do not know what that has to do with my original post. I wasn't offended but just felt it lacked sensitivity considering the story.

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »

I agree but I do not know what that has to do with my original post. I wasn't offended but just felt it lacked sensitivity considering the story.

You are 100% correct in your original post. Personally, I do find it offensive, careless and unthinking.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 06:53:39 AM »
Further to this a mother of five has been asked to attend a police interview after being accused of using the wrong pronoun to describe a transgender girl. The police were asked to comment and said "A complaint was made and we have a duty to investigate". Why didn't the just do what they do when your car gets broken into? Tell you they are too busy to send someone round.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »
Further to this a mother of five has been asked to attend a police interview after being accused of using the wrong pronoun to describe a transgender girl. The police were asked to comment and said "A complaint was made and we have a duty to investigate". Why didn't the just do what they do when your car gets broken into? Tell you they are too busy to send someone round.

Easily solved.

When they ask for more money - as they will - quote the case back, tell them to sort their priorities out and then ask for more money..

People wonder about the causes for the rise of the Hard Right. Examples like the above are like a red rag to a bull to many people.. (And also the prolonged refusal to investigate child abuse in Rotherham and elsewhere).  I am NOT a supporter of such causes but treat another section of the population very differently from others and there will be a backlash when economic times are hard...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:19 AM »

Pretty soon you will see urinals in womens toilets and tampax machines in mens,  or maybe the toilets will all become 'anysex' - I saw an item where a security bloke in Asda was reprimanded for trying to stop a 6 foot tall 3 foot wide shoulders 'person' with hands like shovels and a days stubble from going into a womens toilet,  turns out he / she / it was transgender  :o  maybe the Kinks knew something when they wrote 'Lola' -

Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world
Except for Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 09:32:16 PM »

Further to this a mother of five has been asked to attend a police interview after being accused of using the wrong pronoun to describe a transgender girl. The police were asked to comment and said "A complaint was made and we have a duty to investigate".

The sixth form college I attended 20 years ago had the same mentality, but try complaining about disruptive students - forget it. 'Students expressing themselves' or 'from a difficult background' were the usual responses.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Tags: