Author Topic: Air Conditioning  (Read 4639 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Air Conditioning
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »
Suddenly we have some hot days and thoughts turn to using the air conditioning so,if I may,a few hints and tips about its use.
Use of your aircon will not seriously affect your fuel consumption,I find about 2mpg less to be normal and this is easily recovered by judicious use of the right foot.The advantages of aircon use outweigh the higher fuel consumption.
Use your aircon all year round,it keeps it in better condition and you have its advantages all year round as well.
In the winter you have no problems with condensation and yes you can still have heat in the car at the same time.The heater output temperature is higher than the aircon cold temperature.
In the summer the advantages are obviously a cool,more comfortable interior but you also have the benefit of a quiet car because the windows are shut.
Open windows are noisy and noise is tiring,also with open windows and the aircon on all you are doing is trying to cool the outside air.
Open windows also affect the fuel consumption more than the aircon because the open windows upset the airflow over the car and cause more drag.
The only downside to aircon is that ideally it should be serviced every two years and it is not normally part of the servicing schedule,it is an extra.
By servicing I don't just mean topping the gas up.The system should be evacuated to determine how much gas is left as an indication of any leaks in the system.The correct amount of gas should be put back in along with aircon system lubricant to keep the compressor and seals in good condition and the machine used checks the efficiency of the system.
In hot weather direct the cold air upwards,not towards your feet,cold air falls not rises.When the car has been parked in the sun set the fan to max,select recirculated air for the first mile or so and the interior will cool down quite quickly then go back to outside air.
Stay cool!

Vic.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:56:54 PM by VicW »

guest1521

Re: Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »
Thanks VicW. You've offered great advice to leave a/c running all the time as that's the best and cheapest way to keep it in good nick IMO. Modern systems are much more fuel-efficient than old and you've outlined great benefits for leaving it switched on.

As you have implied, it's when people don't use a/c for weeks or months, typically over winter, and then start it in warmer weather they notice a problem because the system has 'dried out' leaving dry/seized bearings, shrunken/leaky seals and internal corrosion. While smelly stuff has 'infected' the airways, too.

Running it keeps all the 'good stuff' in circulation and the airways dry so smelly bacteria don't breed.

Of course a holed condensor caused by a stone is a different matter altogether.

A system that is not working properly or leaks for some reason should certainly be evacuated and refilled in the way you describe, VicW, after identifying and fixing the problem. Quick fixes such as the 'refill/sealer aerosols' available at Halfords etc. are temporary and their duration depends on the severity and nature of the leak, I'm sure you'd agree.

But I'm not at all sure that a system that's working properly should be evacuated and refilled every two years as you recommend. I've never done that - just run it year round for years with no problem. Perhaps after many years (10+) or high (150,000+) mileages it should be evacuated and refilled. P'raps once. But not every two years from new with typical private mileages.

However, I could well stand to be corrected. Every day is surely a learning experience!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »
From experience I have found that (climate control excepted) air-conditioning can be a bit too much if it is on high fan. A good way is to direct it upwards with the two centre vents (control knob fully anti-clockwise) as remarked by VicW cold air does fall.   Now after an initial high burst to cool down the car, turn the fan down to 1 and just trickle cold air into the car - it is very comfortable and doesn't get too cold, and you don't get icy draughts on your head and neck etc.  It also gets blown gently into back of car if you have passengers. 

Having your windows wide open really adds to the drag of the car and can cost you more in fuel than running the aircon on low setting - and it's noisy and gets tiring.

If you have a sunroof and either no aircon or do not want to use it,  tilt the roof and open both back windows about half an inch, it gets a lovely draught coming from back to front of car, and not noisy.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »
When the car has been parked in the sun set the fan to max,select recirculated air for the first mile or so and the interior will cool down quite quickly then go back to outside air.
Stay cool!
Vic.

Having cooled the car down with fan on max you can then set the fan speed to whatever you choose to maintain a comfortable temperature.

Vic.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
Sometimes in summer when it is really hot (above 350) then I just open all 4 windows for a new mins to let out the even hotter air (can easily go above 500 in a closed car in the sun) before turning on the aircon.  In any case, you are usually driving out a car-park and this can take a few mins of slow driving.

You don't want to be driving more than 50km/hr with the windows open, it it gets noisy.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest2765

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »
You don't want to be driving more than 50km/hr with the windows open, it it gets noisy.

^ the noise is true....but turn your music up and ignore it :) i find at 50mph with the windows open the noise isn't too bad really, 60-70mph the noise is pretty loud and is when I turn my music up a fair bit, but the air is great in this weather.

+ no a separate note - In winter Ive been running a/c all the time mainly because its too cold to drive around with the windows open, It's in summer i use a/c less since I've my sunroof as well as windows :) (still i shall run it at least once or twice a week to keep it all in good working condition)

guest1844

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »
I hate being in cars when its a lovely day outside and all the windows are up and the a/c on. Open the windows and smell the fresh air...well in Scotland (where I live) the air is quite fresh and the temp rarely hot! Maybe different down in the southern smoke.
My a/c failed (hole in condenser) and I'm not bothering to fix it. I just enjoy the rare novelty of feeling warm! It does help that my daily commute rarely sees 50mph.

Tags:

anything