Author Topic: Your Next Car ?  (Read 3854 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Your Next Car ?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 02:43:50 PM »
Come 2030+ how available will petrol be ?

In the "Which" report which I quoted elsewhere they quoted the likely mix of vehicles by 2030. ICE cars (including hybrids) will still outnumber EVs. The projection shows 12 million EVs and 21 million ICE cars. This assumes that the UK fleet remains at circa 33 million. Given there is still only a tiny percentage of EVs today you can see that demand for petrol and diesel will be down by roughly a third. There will undoubtedly be closures of petrol stations but I doubt if it will be that difficult to get hold of petrol until a few years after 2030.

Of course this is only an estimate - things might well change.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »
My next car and first-ever "new" car will be an MG5, hopefully, an Exclusive.

I plan to stick the Jazz in the corner of the drive and renovate it (note I did not say restore). I'll plan to keep it MOTd so that I can dig it out in an emergency.

Sounds like a very sound plan. I bet you are excited both for the forthcoming move and the new car.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 04:34:20 PM »
I am currently planning to buy a new car in March next year and it will definitely be a small self charging hybrid.  I will be looking at the Crosstar and I am looking at the reviews for the Toyota Yaris Cross which will be available in the UK buy the summer.  It is just a few inches bigger all round than the Crosstar and has a good sized boot.  There is also the Clio, but it is wider than my current car and I want to go smaller and the drivetrain has had mixed reviews, and a new small Hyundai hybrid will be out by the end of the year. So there will be plenty to look at.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 05:49:37 PM »
As a buyer (and DIY servicer & fixer) of used cars, the complexity of hybrids puts a real dent in the appeal of them for me.

If I was forced to dump the diesel in the very near future, I think I would make the push to pure EV.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 06:38:26 AM »
I've got no intention of changing car in the near future.
Hopefully the Jazz has a good few years to run.
When the rust bug eventually claims it, I expect my next vehicle to be electric.
There will be a great many changes before 2030 and I expect range and availability of recharging to be much improved, but even if not I think by then an EV would satisfy all my travel needs.

+1

But I'll be in my 80s then so the electric vehicle may run on pavements. :'(

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 07:45:16 AM »
Likewise.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 08:18:28 AM »
It's possible I'll be able to upgrade in about a year. I'm thinking of an estate. A big attraction of the Jazz was that my elderly German shepherd cross could go on the back floor. Now she's gone and I've got a young lurcher I'd quite like not to be driving what amounts to a mobile dog bed. Though I do some regular dog walking and, hopefully, having dogs to stay will resume so I'd like the space.
Much as I'd love an MG5 my budget won't stretch anywhere near. Hybrid would be nice and a Toyota Auris estate would be great but I'd be looking at taxi mileage. So the front runner at the moment is a Dacia Logan MCV. Sophistications like lane assistance and infotainment have little appeal for me, but modern engines do. Also, although they claim MCV stands for maximum capacity vehicle I'm reliably informed really it's Mutt Carrying Vehicle.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 08:37:29 PM »
BMW 1 Series - 'interesting' styling (but it's on the list so it can't be that bad) and fantastic interior - nicer than the Mercedes A-Class in my opinion. I'll have more faith in a BMW than a Mercedes or VW group car. For some reason though, all the nearly new examples have dual clutch gearboxes.

Kia Proceed - Love the styling but spec is a bit weird - to get LED headlights you need either a GT Line Lunar Edition (limited edition, comes only in silver)  or a GT or GT Line S (both dual clutch only). GT Line S costs more than a GT but is less powerful (140 PS vs 200 PS).

Mazda3 - Great looks if a bit heavy at the rear. Not keen on gloss black alloys, naturally aspirated engine where the others are turbocharged. You can get it as a saloon with silver alloys, spacesaver wheel and better balanced styling....but we don't buy compact saloons in this country and the used trade isn't keen on them.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 09:31:05 PM »
Mazda3 - Great looks if a bit heavy at the rear. Not keen on gloss black alloys, naturally aspirated engine where the others are turbocharged. You can get it as a saloon with silver alloys, spacesaver wheel and better balanced styling....but we don't buy compact saloons in this country and the used trade isn't keen on them.

The Mazda having a NA engine I would see as a genuine bonus. When it comes to petrol powered cars, Mazda are as reliable as they get. They are always a good steer too.

We ran a 2012 Mazda 6 for a few months when it was 3 yrs old. Bought approved used. Nice car, but sadly I found the seats gave me major back ache. By the time we got to Cologne, I could barely walk. They might be better these days, but those seats were such a shame as the Mazda 6 is a good looking car and handles a treat.

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
So with all these new models arriving in the next two or three years I'm planning to buy a new Jazz this year on PCP. This will be the first time I've done this rather than paying cash.  At the end of year three, obviously I can pay the balloon payment and the car Is mine. But I may want to change or upgrade, so if I want another improved Honda does the outstanding finance convert to a part exchange value or do I have to start from zero without a car to part exchange?  And what if I want to buy a Toyota?  I suppose I have to start from zero? Thus the attraction of low-cost over the first three years (even at 0%) becomes rather different in month 36!

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2021, 11:52:20 AM »
One of the (very) few advantages of being 75 is I’m not bothered at all about cars in ten or twenty years time!
Stuff ‘em!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2021, 04:35:10 PM »
I suspect that there is no trade-in value after 36 months of PCP.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 04:43:47 PM »
One of the (very) few advantages of being 75 is I’m not bothered at all about cars in ten or twenty years time!
Stuff ‘em!
I am of a similar mind. At 73 I will be delighted if I see my current car out!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 05:31:54 PM »
Yep, if they don't get this EV mess sorted out to my satisfaction by 2030 or so then I'll give up driving.
Let's be careful out there !

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
Been looking at the Corsa E 2014-2019.auto.. purely on Insurance costs and level of equipment-I want a car with auto self dimming mirror. Unfortunately, although there are many about, prices have shot up loke all used cars. Anyone had one of these?

Tags:

anything