Author Topic: Oil change to 0W-30 for less clatter  (Read 2226 times)

Michaelflat1

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 SE 2007
Oil change to 0W-30 for less clatter
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
Inside the car I believe it has 5W-30. Its OK but on a cold morning we have to drive up a rather steep hill (up to around 3K revs at like 20mph). And the clatter is quite bad, sounds like a diesel if not worse! I think an oil change is overdue and I don't know when the oil filter was replaced.
But it is quite an old car, some say that on an older engine it shouldn't have thin oils. It's an 07 and around 80K miles. Hasn't broken down in 10 yrs, excluding batteries.

Michaelflat1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 SE 2007
Re: Oil change to 0W-30 for less clatter
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
To add, right after the oil change when we started it it was so quiet, the only way of telling it was on was a slight noise under the bonnet and the rev counter. With the bonnet down you could not hear it!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »
Engine oils do 'break down' when they have been in too long,  the longer polymer chains get broken up and oxidised and the oil thins out - viscosity improvers are added to oil that swell as the oil heats up to maintain viscosity,  these also get damaged.  The reason synthetic oils are much better is that they maintain their viscosity longer and over a much greater range of temperatures.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »
My son-in-law (mechanic) discussed it with his oil supplier and was told not to use thin oil in a high mileage engine. Told to use 5W-30. I use 5W-30 in my 100K+ engine. Hot or cold, my engine is quiet as anything 5,000 miles after the oil was last changed. If yours sounds like a diesel, might I suggest you check (or have checked) the valve clearances.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »
A 5w30 oil, meeting the car manufactures specification is just fine. Key to a smooth, good running engine is changing the oil on time!

We drive many shorter trips and since we have the car, oil is always changed twice a year (4000/5000 km) with a 5w30 synthetic oil. Cold weather or not, the car is always running smooth and quiet without weird noises.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
My son-in-law (mechanic) discussed it with his oil supplier and was told not to use thin oil in a high mileage engine. Told to use 5W-30. I use 5W-30 in my 100K+ engine. Hot or cold, my engine is quiet as anything 5,000 miles after the oil was last changed. If yours sounds like a diesel, might I suggest you check (or have checked) the valve clearances.

There used to be, maybe still are 'high mileage' oils for vehicles that have done over 100k that are higher viscosity to slow down burning of oil and to keep oil pressure up even though bearing clearances have opened up. May also have seal conditioning additives to make hardened seals more flexible.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:44 PM »
We drive many shorter trips and since we have the car, oil is always changed twice a year (4000/5000 km) with a 5w30 synthetic oil.

That is, without doubt, the best thing you can do for any engine. 12,500 miles seems a long time to me between oil changes, synthetic or not!

Personally, I don't see any reason to use anything other than a good quality 5W-30, should be plenty thin enough.

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:47 PM »
+ 5w30 seems cheaper than 0w20
--
TG

Tags:

anything