Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 40197 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Headlights
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
If you compare beam pattern and light on my wifes jazz (photos attached a few post up,  and beam and light on TG photos a few posts up it is like chalk and cheese) - I wonder if testers have been having problems with weird dazzling beam patterns on cheap LED bulbs and just tarred then all with the same brush, even the Philips ones.

It may be not to do with beam pattern or dazzle as such but residual glare from very white light. The light is very good  for the driver of the car but it is a pain to drive against a long line of cars emitting harsh (but not dazzling) white LED light.

Plenty of expensive German staff cars on our roads with very dazzling OEM lights, VOSA should be checking those.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »
Hi

I hope you don’t mind me adding to this old thread but our jazz has just pasted its mot with the LED bulbs fitted

I informed the testing garage that LED bulbs were fitted (pointed out these are not HID), and I could replace the bulbs with halogen bulbs if needed.

The garage went to check and said if the beam pattern and light intensity and only white light colour when put on beam tester pass, then it’s legal. If any one of those fail, it’s a fail on mot

So I’m pleased not to have to mess around changing bulbs and thought I’d share my experience from yesterday

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2018, 08:34:10 AM »
Hi

I hope you don’t mind me adding to this old thread but our jazz has just pasted its mot with the LED bulbs fitted

I informed the testing garage that LED bulbs were fitted (pointed out these are not HID), and I could replace the bulbs with halogen bulbs if needed.

The garage went to check and said if the beam pattern and light intensity and only white light colour when put on beam tester pass, then it’s legal. If any one of those fail, it’s a fail on mot

So I’m pleased not to have to mess around changing bulbs and thought I’d share my experience from yesterday

Many thanks

John

No problem reviving old threads with important information.

Many thanks for sharing your MOT experience John my wifes Jazz has exactly the same bulbs as your car, you have reassured me (and maybe other on the forum who bought the bulbs and some who were thinking about it  :-X ) that the beam pattern and light are acceptable ( which both you and I already knew anyway as they are a philips design and mimic a filament build with LED size and positioning).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:51:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7288

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »
Rather than go back and work out which bulbs you are refering to, can you please say which LEDs these are that passed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »
Rather than go back and work out which bulbs you are refering to, can you please say which LEDs these are that passed.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9942.msg57740#msg57740

My wifes Jazz MK2 Si passed MOT last month as well.

If I were you I would go back through the thread as there is some advice and some excellent pictures from d2d4j on fitting them (pretty easy on MK2,  bit of a pain on MK1 but then fitting any headlight bulb on MK - main thing to remember when presenting bulb to the back of headlight reflector is that there are 3 ears on the bulb and the widest one of the 3 points vertically upwards to align bulb to its location easily.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 06:41:09 PM by culzean »

guest7288

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2018, 05:05:31 PM »
Thank you and I did find it a tight fit when I fitted these LEDs. Tricky to get hands behind the unit.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
Thank you and I did find it a tight fit when I fitted these LEDs. Tricky to get hands behind the unit.

You won't really use headlights much in summer but do come back and let us know how you get on with them.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
Just adding to this thread to keep everything together.

After the MOT tester at local Honda informed me last February ( 2018) MOT that the LED headlight bulbs in my Civic would fail in future due to new regs I have just put the car in for MOT again this year at another MOT place ( cheaper as well).  The car was still fitted with H7 LED ( dipped beam) same as last year and it passed no problem with no comments or advisories... so much for grumblebum at Honda....

Here are the bulbs,  there are some newer ones available with flat copper braid cooling to replace the round heatsink on the ones I bought - means they can be tucked in and no heatsink to stick out.  The round heatsink is not a problem on Jazz MK1 and MK2 as the heatsink sits outside the rubber cover on rear of headlight but on the Civic it has a plastic clip on cover and the heatsink is trapped inside the headlight housing,  the braid ones would suit much better...

H7 ( dipped beam for civic led bulbs with fanless heatsink – I have had these for 18 months +)
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/led-headlight-conversion-bulbs-h7-4600-lumen-philips-z-es-main-dipped-glb477

H7 ( dipped beam for Civic led bulbs with copper braid cooling – newer type).
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/pair-of-compact-canbus-led-headlight-bulbs-h7-4600-lumen-main-dipped-glb477?variant=5425551147037

H4 led bulbs for Jazz
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v

extension leads from constant current unit to bulb ( if required )
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/h1-h3-h4-h7-led-headlight-remote-mounting-leads-for-ic-units

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:00:31 PM by culzean »

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2019, 09:09:56 PM »
Hi

I hope you do not mind me adding to this thread, but on Sunday we were driving back in the fog and as we have a dashcam, it showed the LED lights.  So I will let you decide for yourself over the beam - dipped

The picture maybe a little grainy as I took a screenshot capture from playback

Many thanks

John
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:13:51 PM by d2d4j »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2019, 02:58:18 PM »
Hi

I hope you do not mind me adding to this thread, but on Sunday we were driving back in the fog and as we have a dashcam, it showed the LED lights.  So I will let you decide for yourself over the beam - dipped

The picture maybe a little grainy as I took a screenshot capture from playback

Many thanks

John

Yup - that is what I love about the classiccarled LED bulbs, they put more light on the verge, which is where you need it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »
My motorbike passed its first MOT today and it had the classiccarleds H4 headlight bulb fitted,  never even mentioned by tester.

Looks as though the beam pattern and brightness is perfectly acceptable to their headlight testing machine..

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »
.... if these let me avoid the horrible beam deflectors and give a proper illumination I would be ordering some pdq.
Comparing
UK (KE) http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17TF0901&block_02=B__0800&block_03=21036&block_05=hcr
with
EU (KG) http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17TF0901&block_02=B__0800&block_03=20970&block_05=hcr

.... the headlights have slightly different part numbers, that may be due to other differences but I feel it's probably their reflectors.
--
TG

Standard halogen or xenon headlamps are indeed different for LHD/RHD, both RHD headlamp beam patterns kick up to the left, and LHD ones kick up to the right. This is by design of the reflector (and glass beam deflectors on older headlights) and cannot be changed.

The only cars which can be swapped over without changing the headlamps are those with projector type lamps, the type with a single motorised lens which can change beam pattern as necessary. Our Vauxhall with adaptive lighting can be swapped over from RHD to LHD beam pattern and back in a few seconds.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 08:26:38 PM by sparky Paul »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2019, 09:14:02 PM »
My motorbike passed its first MOT today and it had the classiccarleds H4 headlight bulb fitted,  never even mentioned by tester.
I can also add that my HR-V fitted with those bulbs passed its MOT without any comment.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

milkfloat

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2019, 09:30:57 AM »
I'd agree, at the moment, they are not testing for "lumens" per se it's more for pattern.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
I'd agree, at the moment, they are not testing for "lumens" per se it's more for pattern.

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/the-mot-headlamp-aim-test-is-changing/

Seems new rules were introduced in 2016 to check for proper beam pattern and alignment and beam height and 'dazzle zone'.

Tags:

anything