Author Topic: Passenger side Air Bag recall-Inflator may be over pressurised?  (Read 2254 times)

nab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2012
Passenger side Air Bag recall-Inflator may be over pressurised?
« on: January 27, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
I have just received another air bag recall this time for the passengers side ??This is after having the drivers side done about 18 months ago ! 2012 EX cvt Jazz .So watch out for yours campers. >:( ???

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
Re: Passenger side Air Bag recall-Inflator may be over pressurised?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:47:50 AM »
me too 2013 ex..  had the drivers side done 2 years ago, now they say passenger side needs doing, i wonder how long it'll be before they recall the side airbags? :-[

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »
me too 2013 ex..  had the drivers side done 2 years ago, now they say passenger side needs doing, i wonder how long it'll be before they recall the side airbags? :-[

Due to so many cars being affected by takarta airbags and takarta going out of business I would guess that there is a limited supply of bits for the recalls so they are staggering them, the drivers airbag is most problematic, it is the one that will get deployed the most ( if there is only one person in the car it will be the driver, and the driver is going to be closest to the airbag, especially some of the women I see with their chest up against the steering wheel ) and if it goes bad and prematurely deploys it could cause a crash, the passenger sides would have to wait until the drivers side units were replaced and so on.  The biggest risk was in hot and humid countries, so I guess UK does not fit into that category. It is all about risk management with limited supply of parts...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:46:28 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
Hi culzean

I think the letter states it is been recalled due to over pressurised inflation, which could cause something to explode into fragments and come straight through the airbag, causing harm to passengers in the car. Also, the airbag in that instance deflates

If I have time, I will post a pic of my letter

Sorry if I am wrong for my understanding, I am not mechanical minded

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »
Hi culzean

I think the letter states it is been recalled due to over pressurised inflation, which could cause something to explode into fragments and come straight through the airbag, causing harm to passengers in the car. Also, the airbag in that instance deflates

If I have time, I will post a pic of my letter

Sorry if I am wrong for my understanding, I am not mechanical minded

Many thanks

John

As I said, there are only a few companies that can supply parts required so they will prioritise the order they replace them, the drivers is the most used airbag, and physically the closest to a human body, so most likely to cause injury.

The propellant is affected by hot and humid conditions so they would have replaced airbags in tropical countries first, the truth us the air bags in UK would have been low down the list due to our mild climate.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:00:45 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »
Hi culzean

I remember your posts from a few years ago re drivers side air bag recall. So fully understand what your saying

I guess both passenger and drivers airbag were the same, so as we now receive the letters for passenger airbag, all drivers side airbags are probably now replaced

Sorry if I am wrong

The letter does tell you not to do anything, just wait until you receive a letter to let you know you can book your car for replacing airbag. So thinking it will be a year or so before this happens

Many thanks

John

John Marshall

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 12:44:54 PM »
Me too.
But according to the letter I am ok to drive the car
I am assuming this is if I don't have an accident that sets off the passenger's air bag, which is defective

John

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »
My son, now owns my 2015 ES+, which was modified last year.

Yesterday, he received the letter.......
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »
+1 yes same here,how long this time,the last one was 14 months.

Plasma.

guest4871

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 10:32:35 AM »
Had mine replaced on 20 February - so I am told - can't tell the difference (yet!).

Tags:

anything