Author Topic: Just bought a MK1 Jazz. What oil and plugs are you using?  (Read 2389 times)

ESOblivious

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 SE CVT
Just bought a MK1 Jazz. What oil and plugs are you using?
« on: April 12, 2022, 01:23:31 PM »
Hi ClubJazz!  How many Fast Show jokes do you have to put up with around here?

I just got a 2005 Jazz auto this week and I'm looking to make sure it's setup to run good, for a good while.  It doesn't have the right gearbox oil in it, so I've got some of the real Honda pink on the way.  Some Xado too, just in case a double flush doesn't fix the slight judder on the car right now.

Was wondering what you lot recommend for engine oil and spark plugs?  Also anything else you'd do on a Jazz you've just bought?  I'm not mechanically minded, but I can follow a tutorial, thankfully seems to be a few around for these cars.

I think I'm safe from WWW for now, though the fuel sloshing about on a stop gave me a fright!  :o  Thought I'd missed it!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Just bought a MK1 Jazz. What oil and plugs are you using?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 01:55:35 PM »
Welcome. It is good to have new Mk 1 owners joining the forum.
For plugs, I use the recommended 8 off NKG BKR6E-11. In case you are unaware, the i-DSi engine has eight plugs, four along the front and four along the back of the engine.
For oil, any quality 5w-30 oil is great. Personally, I use Fully Synthetic and currently have SHELL Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W30 Fully Synthetic in the sump.
One piece of advice. The disc handbrake on the Jazz is notoriously unreliable if applied incorrectly. A Honda mechanic told me to FIRMLY apply the foot brake before setting the handbrake. That should hold the car on any hill. However, I always leave mine in gear (manual transmission) when leaving the vehicle.

ESOblivious

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 06:52:44 PM »
Thanks Jocko.  Yeah I heard there's 8 plugs, I'll get some of those ones then. 

Don't see many hills round my way, but I'll definitely do the handbrake thing, best to be safe, ta for that. 
My brakes feel a bit lacklustre right now, the pads look pretty new though, maybe the last owner put the cheapest they could get on there.  Have to say service parts for these seem pretty reasonable from what I've seen so far.

AotearoaMan

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2006 1.2l Honda Jazz
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 10:12:26 PM »
I'm in a similar position having just bought a 2006 Jazz with 122K on the clock and as I don't know the history I'm doing the following work:

Engine oil + filter replacement -10W-40 semi synth from eurocarparts as its cheap and I'll change it on time and a Mann filter.
8 Spark plug - NGK
Air filter replaced - Mann
Coolant replacement - Honda premixed coolant
Brake fluid replacement - DOT4
Manual transmission fluid replacement - Honda MTF
Put some red line fuel treatment in a tank of fuel
New tyres - GOODYEAR EfficientGrip Performance
New brighter headlights - OSRAM cool blue intense H4  (Do this to all my vehicles as I like brighter headlights)
Checked brake pads

Maybe a valve adjustment but I'm not sure it is necessary.

A thing thats well worth checking is inside the spare wheel compartment in the boot, as if there is water there it was not sealed correctly at the factory. This is very common and theres guides online to fix it.

Something the previous owner did before I collected it was the airbag recall which was fixed under warranty. Dont know if you can maybe check if yours needed doing and if it was done?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 10:38:20 AM »
Worthwhile checking the cabin filter behind the passenger glove box, I use Blue Print filters makes a world of difference once replaced.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 12:55:57 PM »
Just remember, changing the bulbs in a Mk 1 headlight is a mammoth task and OSRAM cool blue intense H4 bulbs have a relatively short life.

ESOblivious

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 08:35:28 PM »
I'm in a similar position having just bought a 2006 Jazz with 122K on the clock and as I don't know the history I'm doing the following work....
I saw your thread, I paid 10x more than you did!  :'(  And it was one of the cheapest automatics I'd seen in the last few weeks.  "Full Service History" but the last stamp was independent and like I said the CVT fluid is the wrong colour, so I can't trust the rest of it.

Something the previous owner did before I collected it was the airbag recall which was fixed under warranty. Dont know if you can maybe check if yours needed doing and if it was done?
If you use the GOV website to check the MOT history, it'll also tell you if there's any recalls out.  Another Jazz I looked was flagged for recall, but mine wasn't, so I guess it's been done.

Worthwhile checking the cabin filter behind the passenger glove box, I use Blue Print filters makes a world of difference once replaced.
I bought one of those and an air filter last night ==b.  Got Bosch ones, hadn't heard of Blue Print before.

Just remember, changing the bulbs in a Mk 1 headlight is a mammoth task and OSRAM cool blue intense H4 bulbs have a relatively short life.
I had no idea.  Just looked up the Haynes video and I'm getting flashbacks to trying to change my headlights, blind and at arms length, through the wheel arch of my Rover 75.  Taking the whole unit out may be best for sanity.

I put the car on my little ramps yesterday.  No deep rot, but it will need undersealing.  Got some surface rust on the arches too.  Inside the arches were caked in muck.  Pretty deep pitting along the bottom of the sill too.

For oil, I used the current 20% code on ebay to order 5L of 5W30 Ford Fuel Saver spec Mobil Super 3000.  Bought a genuine filter to go with that too.  Postman's going to be sick of the sight of me soon.

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 09:26:50 PM »
Great to read some ground zero owners on the site again(I suppose it's inevitable that they will dwindle  as the cars and, God forbid, the owners,  rust away). Almost tempts me to sell my cvt 2013 and get back to the roots. However this is probably some kind of inverted pipe dream as the car I have is perfect from every practical sense..
Happy motoring to all.

AotearoaMan

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2006 1.2l Honda Jazz
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 08:39:43 AM »

I heard that before I did it and then when I changed them it wasn't too bad. I know they aren't long lasting but what can I say I'm a sucker for pretty lights  :D

I've had them in my transit for about 2.5 years and they are still going so if I have to change bulbs every few years so be it. Forces me to check the brakes etc whilst I'm there.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 09:30:24 AM »
Honda UK have a Direct Parts sales website:

https://hondadirectparts.co.uk/parts/honda-jazz-genuine-parts/jazz-2002-2008/engine-service-kits-jazz-2002-2004/honda-jazz-2002-2008-service-kit-with-oil/

Honda sell service kits for the Jazz,  The full kit including oil  £199, 
The service kits were a bargain buy several years ago, less so today.
My last  purchase from Honda was a full kit excluding oil for £77,  8 plugs,  three filters, oil pollen and air filter,  all the parts came in Honda packaging

ESOblivious

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 09:12:26 PM »
The service kits were a bargain buy several years ago, less so today.
My last  purchase from Honda was a full kit excluding oil for £77,  8 plugs,  three filters, oil pollen and air filter,  all the parts came in Honda packaging

Whoa!  Sounds like those were the days, now we get stitched up for everything.

My plugs turned up, so I took the old ones out.  They don't look that old really, but 3 of them came out with oil on them and the worst one stunk of petrol too.  I'll make another thread.

FBogdan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GD CVT x 2, FR-V 1.8 i-vtec automatic Executive
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 09:27:48 PM »
Hi!
Recommended oil for Jazz is a genuine Honda 0w20.
If your car was filled previously for several times with another oil specification (eg. 5w30) it's possible that returning to 0w20 will likely develop in some oil consumption as the internal parts of the engine already adapted to a thicker oil.
I've used different types of 5w30 in my Jazz with no notable difference between them (Liqui Molly, Motul, Ravenol, Yacco...all of them in line with Honda's genuine oil specifications). No issues at 190k km until now.
Oil filter is usually MANN as this is recognized widely as a quality provider for after market filters. Air and cabin filters you can get any brand as they are so cheap and you change them in 3 minutes at oil service interval.
Honda recommends also Denso spark plugs, but in my experience, NKG plugs seem to last longer. Please note also that NKG has also iridium spark plugs for Jazz and they double the life span.
Also very important to use only genuine Honda gearbox oil (MT-F for manual gearbox or CVT-F for CVT gearbox). Any other brand of oil is a possible issue generator in the future.

Tags: