Author Topic: Nitrogen filled tyres  (Read 3097 times)

guest806

Nitrogen filled tyres
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:03:55 AM »
Just had two new tyres fitted to the rear of the Jazz.  Got totally ripped off by a National dealer but an negotiating a refund of the difference (paid £180 for two Toyo PR-1, local dealer would have done it for £110.)  The local dealer had a sign up about filling the tyres with Nitrogen. Has any one done this or know anything about it? Apparently, as the molecules are bigger they keep the tyre pressure more constant, for longer and through a wider range of temperatures.
Any comments on the Nitrogen or the Toyo tyres welcome.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Nitrogen filled tyres
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »
Air is 78% nitrogen.

Nitrogen is less dense than air -- the 21% oxygen is of a slightly heavier weight, and the remaining 1% of argon, neon and the rest are of much heavier weight.

I'd have thought that more important to the handling is whether there is moisture in the gas that the tyres are filled with.

Also see: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2694/is-it-better-to-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:49:49 AM »
Oxygen is a very active gas (causes things to rust and generally break down) so excluding it from anything (except your lungs) would seem to be a good idea.

The main thing about nitrogen is that the molecules are big, so it should leak more slowly, and it is free of water, so without water and oxygen your wheels and tyres should be better off, but any affect is probably marginal.

While it may be good for racing car tyres where it is used to keep tyre pressure more constant with temperature, for most people this is probably in the snake-oil category, and something that garages can charge you about £1 a tyre for - nice little earner as nitrogen is cheap to buy (widely used in food packing industry to improve shelf life of products).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »
Do they have a label you can put on them that says, "Packaged in an inert atmosphere"?  :D

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »
Is it a better option for car tyres  ;)

guest598

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »
I have a 1400 ex new shape Jazz, done 7500 miles I picked up a nail they said it wasn't repairable. due to it being an unusual size on the Jazz there wasn't many tyre manufactures made those tyre's i had to buy a continental for £110 I feel i was ripped off.  ???

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 03:57:53 PM »
Searching online I found a continental for £88 fitted.

Tags: