Author Topic: Super Senior moment  (Read 1444 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Super Senior moment
« on: November 02, 2021, 06:28:45 PM »
Today, while driving in Edinburgh, I made the faux pas to beat all faux pas. In my defence I do not know Edinburgh well, except the roads I regularly drive. I was joining Leith Walk at the never-ending road works at the new St James Quarter. My sat nav was telling me to turn left then sharp right and as I turned left and was looking for the sharp right I saw the gap in the roadworks, turned sharp right, and immediately knew I had made a mistake. At first, I thought I had turned into the roadworks but then realised it was a pedestrian access point. It was only twenty yards and there were no pedestrians so instead of trying to reverse back out into the heavy traffic (particularly the lorry blowing its horn) I crawled the few yards to the end. There I met a van whose driver was happy to point out I was in a pedestrian area! The van behind him let me back into the traffic and I went on my way, feeling somewhat stupid.
A real Senior moment.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 06:53:10 PM by Jocko »

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Super Senior moment
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 06:52:25 PM »
You earnt it ;D But don't worry about it! Happens to the best of us when faced with the unfamiliarity of a city.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 06:54:44 PM »
Cities are now very strange places, with bus lanes, box junctions and pedestrian areas.... There is an overload of info to process, even with the help of a satnav....  We went to Birmingham National Indoor Arena a couple of years ago ( for a night show ) and the area around it was being redeveloped ( something to do with HS2 I think ) - most of the streets were blocked off, getting in was bad enough,  getting out was a nightmare, with nose to tail traffic, I have never been so happy to see the Aston Expressway and the signs for M6 north.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 06:58:27 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 07:47:28 PM »
My wife tells a story about a friend of hers who drove into what she thought was the entrance to the car park of the building she was visiting. They had to get a crane to retrieve the car from the bottom of the flight of steps she'd just driven down.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 04:27:28 AM »
Is that screenshot from a Viofo dashcam ?
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 10:24:57 AM »
A few years ago now we were driving to Gatwick to catch a flight to Italy. I had an early sat nav. We were staying in a hotel in Crawley that did a park and stay system. The sat nav told me to turn right and I ended up in Debenham's car park. I had to pay to get out!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 10:36:12 AM »
Is that screenshot from a Viofo dashcam ?

Last I heard Jocko had a nextbase 512
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:38:36 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 12:40:24 PM »

I think your are being hard on yourself. I have noticed an ever increasing amount of 'screen/app watching' to the extent that some folk seem unable to function without their routine fix. Who needs robots and androids when you can breed them at no extra cost.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 02:31:38 PM »
If going to somewhere unfamiliar I often use Google Streetview to familiarise myself beforehand and, for example, see what the entrance to a car park look like. However, that doesn't work if there have been recent changes or there are temporary roadworks.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »
"Me to"  +1, etc   :)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 03:28:38 PM »
My daughter lived near Reading for a while. The town centre road layout is very confusing. Twice I got done for driving onto a bus lane. I now call it Dreading and plan to never go there again.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 04:03:34 PM »
Yes, Reading is tricky. I drive to Lower Earley at weekends but take the bus into the centre.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 04:07:52 PM »
I replaced the Nextbase 512G with a VIOFO A119 V3 and Sherlock is correct. Because I do very little miles now I have the Nextbase on the rear screen. It is not wired in but connected to my Poweradd in the side pocket in the boot. I plug it in before I leave home and just leave it running while I am out. It might seem like a faff but as I now have the car connected up to a smart charger all the time I have that to disconnect too so it is just part of the "pre-flight" checklist.
I have a red velcro band around the top of the steering wheel to remind me not to drive off connected to the garage!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 04:10:20 PM »
I hope your Viofo performs as well as mine.

It's certainly been far better than my 3 Nextbase units.

Tags:

anything