Author Topic: Tailgating cameras.  (Read 1465 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Tailgating cameras.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 10:45:35 AM »
The gap fillers are a nuisance but are outnumbered by those who drive too close behind. I don't like looking in a rear view mirror and seeing only a lorry radiator. In such situations I reckon the driver is focusing on the road ahead of me and wouldn't notice if I slow down (although a high-level brake light must help). I think some drivers tailgate to encourage the vehicle in front to go faster irrespective of the speed limit.
I think Satnavs are a problem here. Anyone looking at the "actual" speedo on the device will be trying to drive faster than someone looking at the vehicle's speedo, and they may not realise this, so they try to "push" you. I find this to be a particular problem in motorway roadworks with a 50mph restriction; you very soon get a truckie uncomfortably close behind (esp. a foreign truckie who thinks they are immune to UK speeding fines). I have seriously considered pulling over onto the hard shoulder simply to get rid of this kind of pest.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 10:54:50 AM »
I just slow right down. I had a clown behind me on the M8 one evening. He was close on my tail talking on a handheld phone. I slowed down, eventually to 20 mph and he did likewise. It was not until he finished his call that he realised the speed we were doing. He then pulled out and passed me.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 11:21:46 AM »
I think Satnavs are a problem here. Anyone looking at the "actual" speedo on the device will be trying to drive faster than someone looking at the vehicle's speedo, and they may not realise this, so they try to "push" you. I find this to be a particular problem in motorway roadworks with a 50mph restriction; you very soon get a truckie uncomfortably close behind (esp. a foreign truckie who thinks they are immune to UK speeding fines). I have seriously considered pulling over onto the hard shoulder simply to get rid of this kind of pest.

I sit at SatNav 50mph in the M4 roadworks which equates to 53mph on my speedo. If anyone does tailgate, which is very rare as I use the left most lane when available, and try to 'push' they need to convince my cruise control and that is never flustered.
Let's be careful out there !

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »
Hi

If you have a tailgater, you need to allow extra stopping distance so you can safely stop both yourself and the tailgater

Many thanks

John

Tags: