Author Topic: Changing Radio Colour  (Read 10993 times)

guest1272

Changing Radio Colour
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »
OK, so pending the arrival of my tweeters, this is the last tiny mod from me for now.

I've always been a bit annoyed about 2 things in the UK Jazz:
a) The mismatch in colours - Dials are bright orange, but radio and heater controls are bright white
b) Inability to buy your own radio and colour match it because it's difficult to find RHD double-din fascias.

So seeing as I was "stuck" with the stock radio, I thought I'd see if I could colour match the radio to the dials by making them orange. Interestingly, Honda must agree with me becaue the main update from 2011 has been a change in cabin colours to make ALL of them orange (including the Multi-Function Display) with a result that the refreshed GE range looks much nicer inside with a uniform colour cabin.

Anyway, here it is and, true to form, my camera skills aren't fantastic but in reality it looks a spot on match of deep orange with the dials :). The MFD is white  so I don't mind the steering wheel controls and heater controls staying white too - as long as most of it is orange...

...and here's how I did it:

Remove the radio:

Unscrew the Heater outlets (5 big silver screws circled in blue) at the top and the radio itself via the 4 black screws going into the PCB (circled in green) plus 3 smaller screws holding it in (circled in yellow in above). You're left with the faceplate and LCD assembly:

Next, pull the locking pin up and carefully pull the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the main PCB up and therefore out:

Now unscrew LCD via it's 2 remaining small screws and carefully pry the metal housing off. NOTE: it is VERY easy to break either the LCD connections or glass or screen so do this slowly. I did it by putting a small flathead screwdriver into the sides of the housing and giving a gentle twist to pry it open thus allowing me to pull the LCD assembly free of the metal shroud - like this:

Next, get some needle nose pliers and straighten the four metal tabs (one is circled) to release the LCD's PCB (arrowed shows where the tabs should end up).
Now carefully lift the PCB away from the LCD screen and underneath you'll see a row of 3 SMD's on one side.
I simply bought some orange Glass Paint (can get Marabu GlasArt Num. 442 = OrangeYellow from Hobbycraft for about £2.30) as it is designed to withstand higher heat from lightbulbs so shouldn't have a problem on low heat SMD's. I then simply "painted" onto the SMD's like so in order to change them from standard white to "colour matched" orange:

Now leave that to dry and turn your attention to the main PCB where the controls are - unscrew the remaining screws to pop the board out:

Also, remove the two very small central screws and squeeze the tabs to remove the central Vol/Push/Select button - there's an SMD there too. Now the radio SMD's are slightly blue so they come with yellowish rubber caps on them to make the light dimmer and more white. I simply put a dab of the orange glass paint on each one (10 in total). Again, leave to dry:

Once everything is dry (if using a hairdryer to speed things up, make sure it's not too hot to avoid damagimg the PCB components), put it all back together again.

Total time about 1 hour ish only. The main problem is remembering to ensure no dust is sitting between the LCD screen and fascia window because it will be VERY noticeable in sunlight (dust/hair/etc) if it is.
Also, the light is v v slightly dimmer in output but not by much and certainly acceptable in my eyes.
The more "professional" way to do this woud be to desolder all the SMDs and replace with same current/voltage alternatives in orange but I'm not that good with a soldering iron...

kotarou

• Approved Member
    • Fit Fans
  • My Honda: Honda FIT GE6 Flex BRDM
Re: Changing Radio Colour
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »
Gaffer, Very nice mod! No soldering and complex SMD replacement is needed.

Can I share (Translate) this DIY with our coleagues on FitFans (Brazil) ?
(Of course, I will keep your credits!)
Honda Fit LX MT Flex (Gas/Ethanol) GE6 - NH700M / Pivot 3Drive Alpha / PIAA Northern Star White / Aquaclean / PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow / Honda EuroHorn / Honda EU Fog Lights LHD Kit / Honda EU BT Kit

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
Thank you Kotarou - of course you can share it. I myself could only do it because it didn't involve soldering - one of these days I'll get round to buying a cordless iron with fine electrical solder tip and maybe get a bit more adventurous then :)

kotarou

• Approved Member
    • Fit Fans
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
b) Inability to buy your own radio and colour match it because it's difficult to find RHD double-din fascias.
Gaffer,I Was translating and I got confused.
In UK is difficult to Find a 2DIN where you can customize the colors? Well at least here, I saw the models from Pioneer that allows you to change in many colors.
Honda Fit LX MT Flex (Gas/Ethanol) GE6 - NH700M / Pivot 3Drive Alpha / PIAA Northern Star White / Aquaclean / PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow / Honda EuroHorn / Honda EU Fog Lights LHD Kit / Honda EU BT Kit

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »
Gaffer,I Was translating and I got confused.
In UK is difficult to Find a 2DIN where you can customize the colors? Well at least here, I saw the models from Pioneer that allows you to change in many colors.

No, the radios are easy to find. I mean the plastic fascia for the dash that the radio fits into. LHD double din fascias are easy to find. RHD double din fascias (Aus/Jap) are easy to find......but RHD double din fascias with space for the seatbelt light (UK) are impossible to find.

kotarou

• Approved Member
    • Fit Fans
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »
Gaffer, now I understand.
Im almost sure that in Japan there is no space or indicator for the seatbealt light and that makes things more difficult.
So you're right, you can't find a RHD Facias with seatbelt indicator. That's a pity, unless you adapt it somehow or use one without it.

However on the good side, you can have all the nice RHD stuff from Honda-Access Japan.

Now thinking about that...., I have the same feeling that you have with the facias  :'(

BigG

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ctkhd05-honda-jazz-double-din-car-stereo-installation-fitting-kit-p-33761.html

Isn't that the one you would need?

Have you tried calling Honda see if they have them? I had problems finding one for my 05 Sport (with C/C), only one site had them and they wanted over £120, gave Honda a call and they got me one for just over £50

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ctkhd05-honda-jazz-double-din-car-stereo-installation-fitting-kit-p-33761.html

Isn't that the one you would need?

Have you tried calling Honda see if they have them? I had problems finding one for my 05 Sport (with C/C), only one site had them and they wanted over £120, gave Honda a call and they got me one for just over £50

Nope - as per the posts above that is the AUS/JAP fascia. The UK one needs a space for the seatbelt light (and the seatbelt light is screwed in from the back so you can't just "cut a hole" in that one and "slot" the light in - it needs the correct screw mount fittings).
I have called Honda multiple times (and multiple dealerships) all of whom cannot help/find the part.
I'm waiting on breakers yards but am not holding my breath because satnav was a rare option on this car as most people used their tomtoms instead...

EDIT: Hoorayyyyyyyy - I have now sourced a new fascia and installed a new headunit...see here.

Tags: