Author Topic: (Tools) For First Little Job  (Read 6145 times)

guest6323

(Tools) For First Little Job
« on: September 06, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
Going to do my fist job on the Jazz this week end. Replace the Cigarette Lighter with a USB Port. As talked about on another thread. So had a quick look at the job to day and the panels are held on by some screws and 4 little buttons see pic.
So do.
Just Tug at panel by them.
Use a flat head screw driver to lever them out.
Or is the a tool for the job
Also does any one know what there proper name is in case a brake some an need to do a search on the net.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
Re: (Tools) For First Little Job
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
Honda ESM says use a cloth covered flat screwdriver to pull these off but from my experience of twice replacing centre console, these will break so as long as you are not damaging the console itself, I wouldn't worry about them too much. Just order spares http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-HONDA-MAZDA-TOYOTA-DOOR-TRIM-PANEL-FASTENER-CLIPS-x10-Push-in-Type-/221717384747?hash=item339f62ce2b:g:PdUAAOSwrklVB1p7

guest6323

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:49:25 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply. Will order some.
I will never stop being amazed at the stuff people find on the bay :)
I would not know even what to search for.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »
They are just about removable with a twist and pull motion, but you need to apply the kind of pressure that hurts your fingertips.  A screwdriver each side or a mini crowbar type of thing helps get it started.  Wrong clip, I was thinking of the boot trim clips.

There's a decent guide over on HondaKarma about fitting the aux radio input that covers the console removal.  :) 
Not sure why it's not on here as well ?  :(
--
TG

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »
They are just about removable with a twist and pull motion, but you need to apply the kind of pressure that hurts your fingertips.  A screwdriver each side or a mini crowbar type of thing helps get it started. 
There's a decent guide over on HondaKarma about fitting the aux radio input that covers the console removal.  :) 
Not sure why it's not on here as well ?  :(
--
TG

Ok. Right I shouldn't be lazy. Guide coming soon..

Update:  Guide is now on ClubJazz. It can be used to remove headunit, centre console, putting in Aux port or replacing lighter socket.

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8514.0

guest6323

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 08:18:14 PM »
Will be a great help our Jazz already has the AUX port. So will just need to start half way down the thread you guys posted . Am i right in thinking the broken Cigarette lighter just unscrews.
I live and learn.
If I get stuck may get you guys a pint at the Inn while you sort it
rob (Innkeeper)

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »
Yes the lighter is just held under console with 2 screws.
If you get stuck just send a message

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »
Push the plastic pin in the middle through. It'll come out dead easy then. Then when re-inserting push the pin in a little bit, fit, then push the pin flush with the head.

guest6323

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
Push the plastic pin in the middle through. It'll come out dead easy then. Then when re-inserting push the pin in a little bit, fit, then push the pin flush with the head.

Think I get what you mean will try

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 11:52:37 PM »
I was think of a similar pin  :-[

You still push the middle in, but the centre pin won't fall through. You push it back to reset it for reinsertion. This pic will give you an idea:

Honda pt no: 91550-S50-000ZL

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »
Looked at one yesterday, that's the one above. Push in centre and then it's easy.

Lighter socket is clipped in, can be levered out from above if you don't mind gouging the plastic a bit, but console out is best bet.
--
TG

guest6323

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 04:08:08 PM »
Hi All
Thanks for all the help so far. The little pack of clips I ordered came to day. They look like the ones in the pic so worked out how to get the out. So now just waiting on the new USB cig lighter replacement. Then Big Job will break out LOL

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »
Looked at one yesterday, that's the one above. Push in centre and then it's easy.

Lighter socket is clipped in, can be levered out from above if you don't mind gouging the plastic a bit, but console out is best bet.
--
TG

I agree, taking the console out is your best bet as you can apply considerable force in that situation. The lighter is very tightly slotted in and there are two indents that hold it from the inside.. at first I tried pressing them but to no avail so wrapped a flat head screwdriver in a cloth and levered it from top while pushing from inside with the other hand. It is a bit of a fight. See photos.

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest6323

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 06:13:20 PM »
Well Thanks Guys
Done my first little job on the Jazz and went really good (wife told me not to throw things or swear and I didn't.)
So some pics as proof.

The broken cig lighter. When I got it out following answers on here it fell to pieces so must have always been broke?

Going to put this USB double socket in got it off the Bay :D

All done and working. We can now charge 2 phones or use one for a Sat Nav.
Any way thanks again
Now start planning the next job

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »
If I wouldn't have put in the armrest version in, I would have been tempted to install this port maybe in the 2nd last cup holder so the rear passengers can charge their phones on road trips.

Time to think where else can I install this.

Tags:

anything