Author Topic: Autumn clean  (Read 3237 times)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Autumn clean
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:10 PM »
De Jazz is almost ready for the winter. In 10 days she goes for the annual service and APK (MOT) where she will be checked over and getting fresh oil, a new oil filter, along with other things my brother-in-law finds necessary to keep her in tip-top condition.
For the winter wheels we wait a little longer as it’s still summer here. ;)

But my job is almost finished. It was a joy to be outside this week, so i spent two free afternoons to clean and protect the car before this lovely weather is gone.
After a thorough wash the car was clayed and re-washed to remove the extent of clay-lube.
Then the paint was polished with a paint cleaner and protected with two coats sealant.
Plastic, rubber window/door seals were done with a water-based vinyl- and rubber dressing.

Products used:
- CarPro Reset car shampoo
- Dodo Juice Supernatural Fine Detailing clay
- Wolf's Chemicals Mean Green (rinseless wash, but diluted as clay lube)
- Poorboys World Professional Polish (cleaner polish without abrasives)
- Finish Kare 1000p paste wax (a sealant)
- Smartwax Smart Sealant (got this bottle from someone who didn’t like it...)
- Finish Kare #350 Super Polymer Body Safe Tire Dressing (water-based)
- Frosch Bio Spirit Glass Cleaner
- Frosch pH Neutral Universal Cleaner (APC: all purpose cleaner)

I ordered new wipers for the back and front and install those after the weekend.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Autumn clean
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
Looks gorgeous. Mine is looking pretty sad at the moment. With next to no rain free days it seems a waste to give it a wash. It needs it though, as I have still to finish my pre-winter wax. With all the work in the fields the roads are filthy and I know that as soon as I wash it, it will get filthy again.
I am also feeling stiff and sore these days, and my rickety knees don't really want to be bending down round a car. I may just take it to my local East European car wash, then wax it straight from there. The water is still beading well, so it has a good coat of wax already, but I want to finish the job I started in the summer.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
Good job Jazzway. A proper detail.

PS

Is there a car detailing scene in the Netherlands? Impressive array of products used in your autumn clean.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:52:39 PM by peteo48 »

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Autumn clean
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 06:42:50 AM »
First off my apologizes for the late response. The day after my post we went on a short vacation and the day after we came back home i had a (right) hand surgery (carpal tunnel syndrome). I can finally type again.

Looks gorgeous. Mine is looking pretty sad at the moment. With next to no rain free days it seems a waste to give it a wash. It needs it though, as I have still to finish my pre-winter wax. With all the work in the fields the roads are filthy and I know that as soon as I wash it, it will get filthy again.
I am also feeling stiff and sore these days, and my rickety knees don't really want to be bending down round a car. I may just take it to my local East European car wash, then wax it straight from there. The water is still beading well, so it has a good coat of wax already, but I want to finish the job I started in the summer.
Thank you!
Jocko, i know you want to keep that blue beauty of you in good shape and shining, but you can make it yourself easier with a spray sealant, i think. They are much easier to use than a paste wax — most are spray on and wipe off, just like a quick detailer.  I will look for some options for you - because we want it to be durable of course.

Good job Jazzway. A proper detail.

PS

Is there a car detailing scene in the Netherlands? Impressive array of products used in your autumn clean.

Thank you, Pete!
Yes, there is a detailing scene here in the Netherlands and although i’m member on one of the forums, i am not very active. Next to our Jazz i only help some friends with their cars and try to keep our daughters car black.

But the products i used are not that impressive...
The Finish Kare paste wax and dressing i bought 2,5 years ago. They are durable, easy to use, and for a reasonable price. But not fancy and sold here.

The CarPro shampoo is a pure shampoo i like because it cleans really good, contains no gloss enhancers or wax and is economical. I like a few more, btw.

Poorboy’s Pro polish is one of the best cleanser polishers without abrasives. And we need clay, and DJ has a nice, fine clay for our car’s soft paint.

The WC Mean Green i used for clay lube here is actually a rinseless wash shampoo. I use it when i want to wash the car and it is not overly dirty,  and/or when it’s cold outside. You can wash your car quicker and save water! And with a little more shampoo in the water than for washing it makes a perfect clay lube.

Oh, and the Frosch products (glass- and all purpose cleaner) are just household products.   I buy them cheap and they do the job.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:38:00 PM by jazzway »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
Just on the comments about spray waxes and sealants, I've been using Autoglym Aqua Wax for some years now. I think it's excellent and does seem to add protection judging by the enhanced beading. Really easy to use as well as the drying and waxing operations are combined.

Tags:

anything