Author Topic: Flat battery - can I expect problems?  (Read 3368 times)

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
Flat battery - can I expect problems?
« on: April 21, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »
Like an idiot I left the ignition on the 'Accessory' setting overnight and now have a totally flat battery. SO flat the Aldi and Lidl Ctek clones wouldn't even attempt to charge it.

Luckily I have another make of charger that is gently restoring the battery to life - but can I expect any ignition/electrical/dashboard/radio issues because of the flat battery?

I hope not, poor car!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Flat battery - can I expect problems?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 08:58:53 AM »
You will probably have to re enter the radio code but I wouldn't worry about ongoing issues unless they arise. I left the sidelights on one weekend (Cavalier, with no warning buzzer), and though it was totally flat come the Monday morning the battery charged up and I had no further problems.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »
The battery on the Jazz is so small and can happen. Drive it on high speed for at least 30mins and hopefully it won't happen again. If you are concerned, go to a trustable garage and get them to check the condition of the battery for you.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
A lot of the battery chargers made in last 20 years or more check the polarity of the battery before turning on the charge current which means you cannot connect charge leads the wrong way,  this also has the benefit of making them short circuit proof if you touch the clips together.  Unfortunately this means if your battery has discharged below a certain voltage the modern chargers will not charge it, sometimes you have to connect a  decent battery in parallel with flat one for a while and charge them both until the bad battery has enough voltage to 'fool' the charger.  Modern car batteries are smaller because 'they can be' - modern fuel injected engines start so much easier under all conditions than the older carbed ones that car makers have decided to save some weight and space.  The only car in the last 30 years that has suffered a flat battery was my wifes Fiat Punto ( definitely the most troublesome car we ever experienced,  glad to see the back of it - was replaced by her first Jazz GD ) because you could leave the radio on with the key out and the car locked.....

You may have to  re-teach auto windows,  The ECU may have had its memory reset but it will soon re-teach itself - do you know how old the battery is ? It may be time for a new one anyway,  modern batteries can last over 5 years,  but it is a gamble - they lose capacity slowly over their life and sometimes it goes unnoticed until the battery is stressed.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 10:21:24 AM »
Depends on how old the battery and how cycles it's done i.e. charging/discharging.

Batteries only have a finite number of times you can charge/discharge them after that you need to get a new one.

You may be lucky and the battery will just charge up and everything will be ok, but some batteries if you let them discharge too much i.e. let them go flat no amount of charging will revive them.

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
Why does it always seem to happen on a bank holiday!

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 12:37:11 PM »
Oh well, replacement battery required.

I did search this forum and saw a recommendation for a Yuasa Silver, so that's what's in the car now.

All up and running again.

I had to reset the clock and re-enter the radio code but all settings seem to have been recovered - radio tuning, speed warnings at 30 and 70, plus mileage monitor.

Happy days.  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »
Oh well, replacement battery required.

I did search this forum and saw a recommendation for a Yuasa Silver, so that's what's in the car now.

All up and running again.

I had to reset the clock and re-enter the radio code but all settings seem to have been recovered - radio tuning, speed warnings at 30 and 70, plus mileage monitor.

Happy days.  :)

Yuasa Silver is the dogs doodahs :) 

You get a decent increase in cold cranking amps and reserve power as well over standard battery  ( 280 to 340CCA and 35 to 40 Ah if I recall correctly ) - as well as a 5 year warranty ( but with a bit of care will probably last 10 ).

After battery power lost you normally have to reset your preference for auto windows as well ( whether they go down and up when you use the door switch or only move for as long as you hold the switch).  The settings for TPMS, speed warnings etc are in non-volatile memory AFAIK...  the only reason they ask for radio code if power has been off is in case somebody has nicked it  :o  The ECU will default to base settings but will quickly re-learn your driving style.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:21:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 05:34:18 PM »
Drive it on high speed for at least 30mins and hopefully it won't happen again.

Alternators do little more than float charge batteries so they need time rather than anything else to recharge.

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »
Well would you Adam and Eve it?

Swapped batteries and all OK but thought I'd whack the charger on the old one just out of curiosity - and out of the car the blessed thing is charging!

To be fair I think it's on borrowed time anyway. It's a Halfords 3yr warranted thing that was in the car when we got it - 3.5yrs ago.

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »
Um? Didn't notice having to re-teach the electric windows.

Can both front windows be single touch up and down then - and if so, how please?

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 10:30:06 PM »
Might be subjective but the car seems to be driving more smoothly too.

Could that be because it learned the previous owners driving style and has never been reset since?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »
Um? Didn't notice having to re-teach the electric windows.

Can both front windows be single touch up and down then - and if so, how please?

That is the re-teaching:
Ensure windows are fully closed.
Roll down the window and hold for five seconds. ...
Immediately roll up the window and hold for five seconds. ...
Release the window button.
Test the automatic window function.

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
Ah! OK, thanks. I'll give it a go later. The wife's just gone out in it.

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
Oh no she hasn't! She's taken the MX5  ;)

Tags:

anything