Author Topic: rear axle noise  (Read 14080 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: rear axle noise
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
If he was referring to gearbox bearing then booting on a straight or on a roundabout would put same load on bearing - only it's safer to hammer it on the straight, but putting a side load on a wheel bearing will change the noise it makes.

if its the gearbox intermediate shaft bearing (that is the weak point of GD Jazz gearbox) then the best way to hear it is boot it in first or second, that's when it really whines.

if you were rolling down a hill out of gear then layshaft (intermediate shaft) probably wouldn't be turning because in neutral gears are not meshed together anyway.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4512

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:43 AM »
If he was referring to gearbox bearing then booting on a straight or on a roundabout would put same load on bearing - only it's safer to hammer it on the straight, but putting a side load on a wheel bearing will change the noise it makes.

if its the gearbox intermediate shaft bearing (that is the weak point of GD Jazz gearbox) then the best way to hear it is boot it in first or second, that's when it really whines.

if you were rolling down a hill out of gear then layshaft (intermediate shaft) probably wouldn't be turning because in neutral gears are not meshed together anyway.

It is in 1st and 2nd that it whines - I'm fairly confident it is this bearing having listened to recorded examples.

Culzean, do you know how long it takes to remove a gearbox from a Jazz, so I can verify costings.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
My mechanic mate did my wifes previous 1.4 GD a couple of years ago,  took it out himself and gave it to his local gearbox refurb company to replace bearings,  said removal and replacement  about 6 hours total and it involves taking suspension arm off etc. He had car for 3 days.

He charged £380 in total,  but that was 'mates rate' and I did give him extra on top of that (because he is a mate)

If car does local stop start mileage and more time in lower gears (like my wifes) the bearing problem will happen at lower mileage (she had problems at about 70K - it would probably have happened earlier but I had put gearbox molyslip in when she first had the car) - but I travel a lot further to work and back and when I traded my GD in it had done 110K with no noise (because I spent most of my time on 'A' roads in 4th and 5th gear and I also had molyslip in the gearbox).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4512

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
Cheers Culzean.

Garage in East Kilbride called Automek quoted between 450-500 all in with genuine honda parts and MTV.

They say it doesn't really need done atm,  but to keep an eye on it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »
They say it doesn't really need done atm,  but to keep an eye on it.

That's a V good price, some people have been quoted up to £800 - what the garage says is true and it won't suddenly fail on you but just keep getting louder until you can't stand it any more - --  If you are planning to keep the car for a few years and cover some miles you may want to get it done in order to get car back to best condition you can.  At least you shouldn't get noise in 4th and 5th when on main roads.

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »
thought it was covered under hondas extended warranty on gearbox bearing known to fail, my jazz a 57 had its bearing replaced under warranty f.o.c

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
thought it was covered under hondas extended warranty on gearbox bearing known to fail, my jazz a 57 had its bearing replaced under warranty f.o.c

its a 2005 GD - I think Honda did it up to 7 years old FOC under warranty

guest4512

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »

its a 2005 GD - I think Honda did it up to 7 years old FOC under warranty
Yeah it is a 7 year extended warranty, even with those Honda generally expect a full Honda service history, despite it being a clear design flaw.

These things happen and no car is prefect at the end of the day.

I might get the gearbox oil changed and molyslip added.

Tags: