Author Topic: Who buys this stuff??  (Read 58381 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Who buys this stuff??
« on: October 10, 2023, 01:40:09 PM »
I have always liked a clean car and almost always clean it myself.

Then I was thinking of my last trip to Halfords - our local store is a big one and there are rows and rows of car cleaning products. Big name brands like Turtle Wax but also more upmarket stuff like Autoglym, Meguiars and Auto Finesse. There are polishes, waxes, sealants, tyre dressings, interior detailers, quick detailers, ceramic sprays, graphene sprays etc. On top of that, sponges, microfibres, mitts, buckets (several different types and sizes).

Even our local supermarkets have loads of car care products.

I almost never see anybody cleaning their car these days and I live where there are a lot of retired people with time on their hands. I am the only person on my road who cleans their car apart from a woman who uses washing up liquid and and old T shirt.

So who buys this stuff (apart from me) and where do they use it?

Mystery of the day!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: Who buys this stuff??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 01:51:17 PM »
...Me  ;D although not much from Halfords. I mostly use in2detailing.co.uk

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 02:10:57 PM »
Yes - loads of stuff available on line as well. My theory is that people are doing this car cleaning in their garages or under cover of darkness ;D

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 02:40:27 PM »
I have always liked a clean car and almost always clean it myself.

Then I was thinking of my last trip to Halfords - our local store is a big one and there are rows and rows of car cleaning products. Big name brands like Turtle Wax but also more upmarket stuff like Autoglym, Meguiars and Auto Finesse. There are polishes, waxes, sealants, tyre dressings, interior detailers, quick detailers, ceramic sprays, graphene sprays etc. On top of that, sponges, microfibres, mitts, buckets (several different types and sizes).

Even our local supermarkets have loads of car care products.

I almost never see anybody cleaning their car these days and I live where there are a lot of retired people with time on their hands. I am the only person on my road who cleans their car apart from a woman who uses washing up liquid and and old T shirt.

So who buys this stuff (apart from me) and where do they use it?

Mystery of the day!

Simple petrol heads... there are a lot of them aged 18 to 80.

Not me: I never polish a car:

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 02:51:37 PM »
Me !!! But in an enclosed compound so nobody sees me. Not by desire by the way, however I do enjoy washing and polishing the cars , which I find to be therapeutic.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 03:09:39 PM »
Me !!! But in an enclosed compound so nobody sees me. Not by desire by the way, however I do enjoy washing and polishing the cars , which I find to be therapeutic.

good that prisoners are used for public good!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 03:37:29 PM »

When will you be released?

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 07:41:32 PM »
Don’t know, depends on good behaviour !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 06:21:31 AM »
I like a nice clean car but I don't go overboard with products

Foam spray prewash
Decent wash n' wax, currently Turtle Wax Ceramic
Decent waterless wash, currently Meguiars
Invisible Glass

That's it

Foam spray, leave for 10 mins, approx
Rinse
Wash n' wax
Dry
Waterless wash
Microfibre
Invisible Glass

Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 08:39:17 AM »
...I guess it depends on your mileage and if you go out in bad weather ;)

In order...

Wheels: Spray with Green Star APC, also tyres and inside the arches.
Garage Therapy shampoo or more Green Star in a bucket. Brush the arches and use wheel mitt on the wheels. Tyre brush for the tyres. Rinse with pressure washer.

Car Pre wash: Spray Green Star again around the whole car, maybe some Citrus pre wash. Sometimes use the foamer with the Green Star and just Citrus around the lower areas. Leave for some minutes then pressure wash off.
Snow foam with Bilt Hamber Auto Foam (or just car shampoo), leave then rinse with pressure washer.
Contact wash. Couple of buckets, GT shampoo and wash mitt. Wash, rinse, repeat. Pressure wash off.
Spray on Gyeon Wetcoat and rinse immediately with pressure washer.
Occasionally some GT quick detailer once dry but not often as the Gyeon does a good job.
Door shuts and boot area if not cleaning inside
Dry car with car drying towel(s) -

Depending on time, extra steps may include:

Some times Bilt Hamber Korrosol for iron fallout removal.
Tar & Glue remover as required.
Glass treatment other than just some normal glass stuff.
May try some ceramic coating at some point.
GT tyre serum for protection and shine (generally in nicer weather as it lasts longer)

Drive the car get it dirty and then repeat the above the following week  :o ;D

As mentioned it can be therapeutic.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 01:49:25 PM by shufty »

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 12:40:36 PM »
I have several different wash methods. The key thing is, although the car is left on the drive, it does a tiny mileage - usually 40 miles a week, sometimes less with the odd long trip thrown in.

Method One

Rinseless wash using Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax. Pre spray car with the solution (not strictly necessary but feels safer). Gently wash a section at a time with a wash mitt then gently dry with a plush microfibre.

Method Two

Recent innovation using Autoglym "Quik Refresh" - numerous You Tube vids on this but it's basically their version of a rinseless wash. I use, as recommended, their "Instadry" drying towel which is like a microfibre chamois if that makes sense. I use this when I'm bored and the car is basically clean with light dust and no more.

Method Three

If car is dirtier (which is rare tbh) hose down body work, hose under sill and wheel wells. Then use a quality shampoo and wash vehicle with a wash mitt (I don't use two buckets but I have a gritguard). Dry with plush microfibre towel. Just got an Autoglym one - best ever! I will often use Autoglym Aqua Wax when drying.

Occasionally I will use a spray wax when finished.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 07:44:45 PM »
I never see anyone washing their car on the new estate I've just moved to. At my previous house, in 16yrs there was only ever me and one happy Hyundai guy that cleaned our own motors.

I think most people use car wash places. Our local Tesco has a queue most days for the machine wash, and the valet blokes at the bottom of the car park never seem to sat on their hands!

Loving the detail some folk give their Honda's. I have always enjoyed cleaning my car. Sadly, been so busy lately the poor little thing is a bit of a state. I think in the last 6 months he's only been hoovered a few times and had a very basic speedy wash twice. Used to find time to wash my car at least once a week.

Mind, I'd sooner drive a dirty car than trust what's left of my 10yo paintwork to the commercial wash options. Don't like those mechanical brushes in car washes, and don't trust the strength of the TFR hand car washes use.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 08:58:04 PM »
You need to be careful of the hand wash guys, who use  ‘brick acid’ on your wheels to release the dirt, as well as lower bodywork. Not great for your car.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2023, 05:27:25 AM »
I've seen the hand wash guys using a powerful pressure washer far closer than I would ever use my domestic one
Let's be careful out there !

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 10:51:33 AM »
I pre-wash my car using Koch Chemie Green Star All Purpose Cleaner diluted in a pump spray that cost £2 from Sainsbury's. (They only sell them between Easter and mid May in seasonal section).

Tags: