Author Topic: Year end audit.  (Read 4968 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Year end audit.
« on: July 22, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »
Today is my 2nd anniversary of taking ownership of my Jazz, so I topped off the tank and worked out my numbers for this year, and since buying the car.
This year I have covered 8910 miles, which works out at 171 miles per week. I have used a total of 161.3 gallons of petrol which calculates out at an average of 55.2 mpg over that distance. Cannot get much more accurate than that.
Total cost was £2,374.22, which covers fuel, tax, insurance, servicing, repairs, parking, polish, shampoo, odd car wash and of course, by gearbox repair. That works out at £45.66/week or 27p/mile.
I don't figure depreciation in my costs, as I buy an old car and run it until it is finished. I do calculate the cost per mile for the running total, including the purchase price, and it currently stands at 38p/mile. That of course reduces, the longer I keep the car.
Overall I am pleased with these numbers.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Year end audit.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »
That's the sort of economy you'd be looking at from a modern turbo diesel. Superb figures.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »
I congratulate you on your diligence Jocko.
Personally fuel consumption is not something that I take much interest in. I only monitor the built in readout, which I appreciate is optimistic, to advise me of any drastic changes in consumption that may indicate a problem, such as when I had a brake caliper binding.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »
Vic. I just record everything I spend on the car, plug it all into a spreadsheet, and it churns out the answers. I started doing this back in 1978, using a notebook and pen, and it has evolved over the intervening 40 years.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »
Personally fuel consumption is not something that I take much interest in. I only monitor the built in readout, which I appreciate is optimistic, to advise me of any drastic changes in consumption that may indicate a problem, such as when I had a brake caliper binding.

Vic.

The fuel consumption thing is interesting. I started doing it about 20 years ago. Up until that time I did the odd "brim to brim" test to see whether things were broadly OK.

I'm at a stage in life now where my low mileage means cost is only a minor consideration but I find myself looking forward to a fuel up so I can enter the details on Fuelly.com  and get an update.

And yet a friend of mine, who takes all things financial very seriously, never fills his car because he doesn't like the idea of carrying the extra weight around, drives for economy but just relies on the car's computer. He reckons it's about 10% optimistic and that does him.

Think I'm a bit OCD.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 06:48:05 PM »
Think I'm a bit OCD.
Me too. I never track any other spending. I cannot tell you how much I spend on groceries or hobbies, or anything else. Just my car.
When I built my first guitar I tracked the costs for that, but it gave me such a fright I never did it with any other build.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »
Looking at my figures for the first years of Jazz ownership I was surprised to see just how similar the figures were compared to this past year. I had done 8 miles more(!), used a further 6.4 gallons of petrol and had an average figure of 53.2 mpg.
Now, a year ago I got my ScanGauge, started driving for economy and yet I had only managed to improve my mpg by just under 4%. However, even with such a small improvement it will take less than 3 years to recover the cost of my ScanGauge.

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
Old Jazz, 57 plate GD manual:

New Jazz, 61 plate GE auto:

Not a lot of difference for very similar driving. OJ better for short cold trips, NJ better for long hauls at Mway speed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:02:30 AM by D3DSL »

guest7797

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »
Could you share what app is this?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »

One of my daughters (the one who has the 2014 Jazz now) had a Mitsubishi Colt that suddenly dropped from 50MPG to 40MPG on the display but we never got to the bottom of why, despite my own, and a couple of garages, investigations.   It's a shame we hadn't more accurately recorded the MPG as a sanity check of the change.   But she still doesn't do it. :)

I record all the meter readings at home every month, for the same reason.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
I had a similar thing, many years ago, with my FIAT 126. MPG dropped then dropped again, so I investigated, and found an internal leak in the fuel pump. New pump fitted and figures went back to normal.
As I have said elsewhere on ClubJazz, I use Statistical process Control, and Western Electric Rules
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Electric_rules
to check for unwarranted deviations in fuel consumption.
That is Western Electric, spelt OCD!

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 06:03:45 PM »
Could you share what app is this?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sorry, been AWOL for a bit.  Road Trip iOS app.  Free for one vehicle, a few quits for multi vehicle.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 07:16:43 PM »
I had a similar thing, many years ago, with my FIAT 126. MPG dropped then dropped again, so I investigated, and found an internal leak in the fuel pump. New pump fitted and figures went back to normal.

Interesting - where was it internally leaking to?   One of the garages was quite focused on it being a leak, as the car ran fine and its emissions were OK.  Rolled OK too.  Never found it though, and it wasn't a computer error - daughter was doing the same routine and having to fill the car up a day earlier each week.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
Interesting - where was it internally leaking to?
The FIAT had a mechanical fuel pump, driven off the cam shaft, and it was leaking from the diaphragm into the sump. Being as it was air cooled, the oil got exceptionally hot, and what little petrol was getting through just evaporated off.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
Years ago I was living in Southsea, as a student and I had an old car. Every now and again the fuel consumption would drop sharply, I had no idea why. Then one morning I found the fuel filler cap on the pavement, somebody had been syphoning my petrol tank. A locking filler cap solved that problem.

Tags: