Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Ban on gas heating for new UK homes
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 06:47:16 AM »
According to The Committee On Climate Change report, they recommend a ban on Gas boilers for home heating, in all new houses built after 2025. Talk about cat and pigeons?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/21/ban-new-gas-boilers-by-2025-says-committee-on-climate-change

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47306766
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: WTO rules?
« Last post by zzaj on February 20, 2019, 10:52:47 PM »
These people became MPs because of the efforts of local activists and the financial investment of their particular parties in 2010, 2015 and 2017.

Having been elected with someone else's funding and manifestos, as well as the considerable efforts of those they have now betrayed,  they need to be true to their "new" beliefs and seek their own mandate with their constituents.

They must take full responsibility for their actions.

Otherwise they can have no credibility

To do anything else is not to be true to themselves, or their potential supporters, and for them to forever to live on as very unreliable cheats who have abused the "system".

Back to WTO rules?

Nothing much has changed - again!  :-X
Hybrid / Re: Turning off the stop-start?
« Last post by peteo48 on February 20, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
I think yours will be a Mk2 but you should be able to temporarily disable it. On my car this is a switch near the gear leaver (or automatic shifter in my case) and this cuts it out. It defaults to on again when you restart the engine however. I don't think you can permanently disable it.
« Last post by richardfrost on February 20, 2019, 09:21:07 PM »
And another thing - anyone leaving their party because they no longer agree with their manifesto at the election should have to stand for reelection on their current beliefs.
Is that not the way it works anyway. Parties normally do not admit those that have left, back in.
I meant they should be subject to an immediate by election.
« Last post by culzean on February 20, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
Some people claim that constituents vote for the MP as a person rather than for the party but if that is the case why are there so many 'safe' seats for both main parties where party could basically put a tailors dummy up for election and he would win.  There are also a few swing constituencies or marginals with small majorities where the personality of the candidate may make a difference.   
« Last post by sparky Paul on February 20, 2019, 07:03:06 PM »
And another thing - anyone leaving their party because they no longer agree with their manifesto at the election should have to stand for reelection on their current beliefs.
Is that not the way it works anyway. Parties normally do not admit those that have left, back in.

I think what he means is that anyone who changes party affiliation between elections should vacate their seat, triggering a by-election, and stand for re-election as an independent or for their new party affiliation.

Labour are currently consulting on such a move, and will look at whether constituents should be able to eject MPs if they resign from a party under which they were elected.
« Last post by JimSh on February 20, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »
As most MPs were returned to parliament in 2016 on a Leave manifesto, and as the majority of the voters in the referendum voted to leave the EU then I think we should have a Peoples Vote with Leave with the current plan or Leave with No Deal as the two options on the paper. No need for Remain, as that has been rejected in the two 2016 votes!

Waiting for the howls.

I am a remainer but I would be happy with the options:

'Leave now with the current plan'
and
'Leave in x months with a different plan or no deal, no further extensions allowed'

There should not be a remain option. Abstainers can be deprived of their British citizenship. I would only make this concession (of an extension) because our entire collection of MPs have all let us down badly.

I would also insist we have a general election in 2019 post Brexit so we can clear the decks and start again.

They would spend the x months/years arguing about the wording of the referendum. :-[ :'( ::)
« Last post by Jocko on February 20, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Swindon closure.
« Last post by monkeydave on February 20, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »
how delightful  crappy overpriced electric cars and no charge points cant wait .......................
« Last post by richardfrost on February 20, 2019, 05:57:28 PM »
x would have to be less than 6 in order to allow time for a 2019 General Election post Brexit.

And another thing - anyone leaving their party because they no longer agree with their manifesto at the election should have to stand for reelection on their current beliefs. I don't see how anyone can disagree with that. There are very few MPs who get elected solely on the basis of who they are. Michael Portaloo and Eb Ballsup are proof of that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10