Author Topic: Flat battery - can I expect problems?  (Read 3398 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Flat battery - can I expect problems?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »
Might be subjective but the car seems to be driving more smoothly too.

Could that be because it learned the previous owners driving style and has never been reset since?

The ECU is continuously learning new data and ditching older stuff.  The thing is that many people have noticed the car being smoother after fitting a new battery even if power was retained during change.  One thread on here someone had problems with power steering and it turned out that a new battery fixed the problems ( hint - electric power steering on Jazz can draw over 40 amps ), each ignition coil can draw 5 amps to produce a spark.  A good battery is more important than ever on modern cars,  and batteries fail so slowly by losing capacity ( their ability to accept and release charge,  as well as the amount of charge they can hold ) that their demise often goes unnoticed until they are stressed by something like a really cold day or an accessory staying on and draining charge, a good battery would have the ability to shrug off the event.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
Well would you Adam and Eve it?

Swapped batteries and all OK but thought I'd whack the charger on the old one just out of curiosity - and out of the car the blessed thing is charging!

To be fair I think it's on borrowed time anyway. It's a Halfords 3yr warranted thing that was in the car when we got it - 3.5yrs ago.

Let the battery stand with no load and the battery voltage can recover enough to allow the charger to detect if it is connected the right way ( may only need 6 volts, not the full 12 ) - but if if it is out of guarantee period ( and a Halfords 3 year battery is about as basic as it gets ) you are better off replacing it anyway,  I always write the date battery was fitted on the label on top of the battery using a permanent marker pen,  if there is  no room I stick an extra little label on... it helps me but may also help someone else who buys the car...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
Gave up on the old battery. Started off well but wouldn't charge beyond 9.2v.

Yuasa Silver's doing the car a 'power' of good though  :)

Tags:

anything