Author Topic: Flat as a fart  (Read 6115 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Flat as a fart
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 07:03:21 PM »
culzean was referring to the 2006 Civic, not the Jazz.

correct,  this one...  good write up here

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

Extract from article ....

'First, the intake valve closure timing is delayed to a very long period, way into the piston upstroke part of the cycle. The idea is to allow air to enter the cylinders freely, without using the throttle butterfly to artificially restrict air-flow. Then by opening the intake valves right through to the piston upstroke part of the cycle, the excess amount of air-fuel mixture that is in the cylinder will be expelled by the upward stroke of the pistons out through the intake valves and back into the intake manifold.'
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:07:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 08:05:00 PM »
More torque in the 1.4 i-shift than your diesel Jacko, 110nm as opposed to 127nm, same 0-60 time. Stick a turbo on, re-map the computer, change exhaust and intake.....that should do it !!!!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »
More torque in the 1.4 i-shift than your diesel Jacko, 110nm as opposed to 127nm, same 0-60 time. Stick a turbo on, re-map the computer, change exhaust and intake.....that should do it !!!!
Sorry? Is this intended for Jocko? I have a 1.2i-DSi which I am more than happy with. When I made my choice of Jazz I discounted the 1.4 and went for the 1.2. Original poster, philskynet, was voicing his concern with his 2014 Jazz.

blackworx

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mk2 1.4 i-VTEC ES Manual
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »
I notice the OP refers to the eco light - I wonder if he's changing gear according to what the light is telling him, rather than the driving conditions?  I take no notice of the light.  These engines like to be revved anyway.

Same. The ECO light's on/off logic seems to be depressingly simple anyway. It's on when the engine's warm and the throttle's closed or barely open, and off the rest of the time.  Although tbf it is separate from the gear change indicators, which I believe are EU-mandated.

philskynet

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 si
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »
Hi all
Sorry if I missed it out but it's manual  1.4i vtec

philskynet

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
It would be more useful if those who have had both the Mk 1 and Mk 2 Jazzes to give their perceptions of how the iDSI and iVTEC engines compare. I never felt the 1.4 Mk 2 was lacking at the low end in the way described here.

We've had a 2003 mk1 and 2009 mk2 and I've also driven daughters 2014 mk2 quite a bit.  All 1.4.  I'd say there's a slight feeling of less low down torque in the mk2's but it's a feeling rather than anything real.   I've never felt the mk2's were lacking.

I notice the OP refers to the eco light - I wonder if he's changing gear according to what the light is telling him, rather than the driving conditions?  I take no notice of the light.  These engines like to be revved anyway.

Definitely not taking any notice of the green light lol

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »
culzean was referring to the 2006 Civic, not the Jazz.
I understood he was querying that the Atkinson cycle mode didn't appear on the Jazz until 2015.

Anyway, back to the original question. In my experience the 1.4 Mk. 2 Jazz pulled OK at lower revs (although not like a diesel engine) and it was the 1.3 Mk. 3 Jazz which needed revs before it could accelerate. So the vehicle in question might be in need of more maintenance than the service book suggests. Might it be very low mileage and in need of a work-out?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

philskynet

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
50,000mls with full service history

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
50,000mls with full service history
Thanks. So there shouldn't be any very low mileage issues. However, I think we all agree that something isn't right. What's amiss is another matter. Plugs? And it might be prudent to look for evidence that the servicing was properly done.

philskynet

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »
Yeah  its always been dealer serviced and was purchased from the original dealer as a trade in
Plenty of receipts and it's been well looked after mechanically

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »
Yeah  its always been dealer serviced and was purchased from the original dealer as a trade in
Plenty of receipts and it's been well looked after mechanically
I was meaning some visible evidence (check air filter, pollen filter, spark plugs if due) that the work had been done. It's not unknown for boxes to be ticked without the work having been done. 

However, given that no one here has observed your problems on the Mk 2 Jazz, it's probably best you take the car to the dealer who sold it to you. Sensibly they would let you test drive another similar Jazz of similar age to provide a basis for comparison and you could ask one of the dealer's staff to do a similar back-to-back test.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 09:37:03 PM »
Don't know what your problem is, all Jazz owners never go over 50 anyway, most things start to blur past 40 !!!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »
Don't know what your problem is, all Jazz owners never go over 50 anyway, most things start to blur past 40 !!!

That's in reverse... 8)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »
I really enjoyed my Mk1 CVT.  My Mk2 CVT was a different story.  For me the problem was the CVT gearbox.  It is designed to keep the revs low for economy, but the engine has little torque at low rpm and I found it struggled up the many hills near where I live.  Drive it with the RPM above 4K it is a different car, however it is impractical to drive around town or in traffic with the engine revving at 4 or 5K, so sadly it had to go and I changed to a different manufacturer.

Even though it is several years since I owned a Honda I still enjoy looking at this forum as there are some good discussions here.  I am thinking of changing my car next year so I may look at the Jazz Sport although there are some features I like that are missing from it.   Currently I am favouring a Mazda CX-3.

Tags: