Author Topic: Flywheel question  (Read 1936 times)

metallicpearl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz ES
Flywheel question
« on: April 12, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
Hello!

I have a 2013 (62) Manual ES Jazz and I'm struggling to work out what kind of flywheel it has.

Does anybody know if it is fitted with either a normal or dual mass flywheel?

TIA  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Flywheel question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 05:40:50 PM »
The MK2 has a normal, trouble free single piece flywheel I am glad to say,  but if the MK3 has a dual mass flywheel I will not be buying one. 

The dual mass ( loads of loose bits and springs that fail regularly ) was originally designed for Diesel engine transmission to smooth out the damaging power pulses at low revs that would otherwise wreck the gearbox, they have no place on a smooth petrol engine..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

metallicpearl

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 07:07:41 PM »
The MK2 has a normal, trouble free single piece flywheel I am glad to say,  but if the MK3 has a dual mass flywheel I will not be buying one. 

The dual mass ( loads of loose bits and springs that fail regularly ) was originally designed for Diesel engine transmission to smooth out the damaging power pulses at low revs that would otherwise wreck the gearbox, they have no place on a smooth petrol engine..

Thanks for your reply :).

The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting some 'chatter' in the cabin when idling in neutral. No vibration, the sound isn't intrusive but the car goes from 95% silent to 99% silent with the clutch down.

Having read the horror stories about gearbox bearing failure, I took it back to the Honda dealer I bought the car from but they said it's normal. Obviously, I'll keep an eye on it and the only reason I noticed it is because the car is so quiet.

stu1690

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz 1.4l
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »
Sounds more like a clutch release bearing if the noise goes away when you press the clutch pedal in. As long as the noise doesn't get any worse over time it will be fine and if it's not that noticeable then i would leave it until the actual clutch needs replacing tbh.

metallicpearl

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:38:59 PM »
I will keep an eye on it. As I say, it's quiet and doesn't appear to happen in gear at all.

The chap at the Honda dealer said that the noise is the various internal gearbox parts spinning when in neutral and that a small amount of noise is normal.

I have a Honda warranty so if it gets worse, I will definitely be taking it back.

Tags: