Author Topic: battery  (Read 2111 times)

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
battery
« on: August 27, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »
Hi Members i just wondered if my battery is on its way out, went for a drive for a bout 20miles checked battery with one of those meter with lights on said battery ok,1 day later check again only  half full low battery after two days i started it and the time clock and radio did not work for about 2/3 minutes it did come back on looked at battery for a code can see a number ending with 12 so is that 2012 the battery is a exeide battery the alternator is ok any thought  the car jazz 1.4 2003 dave.

nyelokjail

• Registered Member
Re: battery
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:46:57 AM »
If ur battery date 2012, then it probable need to be replace...my battery max can last for 2 years before need to be replace..do u have any problem when to start ur car? Feel like not enought power to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »
Hi Members i just wondered if my battery is on its way out, went for a drive for a bout 20miles checked battery with one of those meter with lights on said battery ok,1 day later check again only  half full low battery after two days i started it and the time clock and radio did not work for about 2/3 minutes it did come back on looked at battery for a code can see a number ending with 12 so is that 2012 the battery is a exeide battery the alternator is ok any thought  the car jazz 1.4 2003 dave.

After 4 to 5 years a battery is living on borrowed time (unless it is a really good quality one like Yuasa Silver or lifetime battery), they gradually lose capacity over the years, but so slowly it does not get noticed.  We are lucky in UK being a temperate country,  in hotter areas like Africa and southern USA batteries can fail in as little as 18 months (the heat kills the chemistry in battery).  On a decent battery the terminal voltage should ideally be about 12.5 / 12.6 volts when checked a couple of hours after a decent run or after charging at home.   Modern cars sometimes have battery in boot (cooler than engine bay) or have insulation and ducting around the battery to try to keep it cool and prolong its life.

The recent spell of hot weather we had in UK will have damaged quite a few car batteries,  but they normally fail in winter when extra demand is put on them starting cold engines, and from headlights, wipers, heated screens and mirrors etc.

Modern alternators are normally bullet proof but if you want to check charging voltage it should be around 13.8 to 14.2 with engine running at about 2000 rpm,  below 13.4 is a danger sign.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:30:55 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »
Some batteries come with a two year warranty, some more expensive ones with a five year warranty. There is a reason for that. Batteries don't last for ever and a 6 year old battery, giving issues, needs replaced. Bite the bullet and get a new one. Remember to note your radio code before you replace it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
I made up a battery changing lead from these bits (need 2 plugs and I used 20 metres of cable though, the longer the better - you only need cheap cable as it will only be carrying max 1 or 2 amps,  these plugs are fused 5 amps but you can get unfused and rely on the 10 amp fuse that feeds cigarette lighter socket)

Just make sure you wire the plugs so that centre pins are on same cable core (normally speaker cable has a stripe on one core to make sure you get speaker polarity the same) because centre pin is positive.  Just park another vehicle next to car you are working on, turn both ignition keys to position 1 to connect battery supply to cigarette socket - now you have a donor car you can take the battery off without worrying about losing power when you remove battery.  It is wise to take off negative terminal clamp first as this means that if you touch the body or engine with a spanner when taking off positive terminal clamp you wont get a short circuit,  likewise put the positive terminal back on first.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-fused-cigarette-lighter-plug-5-amp

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-premium-speaker-cable-hef702
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
It is wise to take off negative terminal clamp first as this means that if you touch the body or engine with a spanner when taking off positive terminal clamp you wont get a short circuit,
Many years ago I was working on a car with the old style open bus bars on the battery. LH battery on image.

I managed to short across one cell, with my expanding bracelet of my watch. Managed to give myself a nasty burn on the inside of my wrist. Never did that again!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »
It is wise to take off negative terminal clamp first as this means that if you touch the body or engine with a spanner when taking off positive terminal clamp you wont get a short circuit,
Many years ago I was working on a car with the old style open bus bars on the battery.
I managed to short across one cell, with my expanding bracelet of my watch. Managed to give myself a nasty burn on the inside of my wrist. Never did that again!

At least you only shorted 2 volts,

I saw the result of a nutter who deliberately shorted a spanner across 12 volt terminals of a larger (150 A/H) truck battery,  the battery exploded and showered acid around the place.

Tags: